Is This the Beginnning of the End of Rugby Union as a Sport ?

Title says it all really...
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Is This the Beginnning of the End of Rugby Union as a Sport ?

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

Dodie played most of his rugby as an amateur. I played for 32 years as an amateur and gave it up just as it became professional. Not that I was good enough, but in countries like Canada and the states I might have got a bit of walk around money, rather than just a job and somewhere to stay.
Anyway, back then it was a lot tougher on the head. I've had more than the maximum three concussions of a lifetime, including a crushed skull.
Depression in later life is common, which, as you know, is not just about being sad and feeling sorry for yourself.
Fortunately, I have either never suffered it, or I'm always in the state of it, so I don't know the difference.
When I was playing in Canada many of the retired ice hockey hitman were taking their own lives and it was all the talk, and I remember, is his name Cherry, commenting words to the effect that it's a tough man's game and that's how it goes, and they shouldn't change the rules etc.
It didn't go down too well.
So it's not just rugby.
Boxing, mixed martial arts, hockey, they can even get concussions wearing all that armour in gridiron.
Heading a soccer ball every day would rattle your brain around your skull a hell of a lot and it would bruise your brain. Now I'm not sure what part of the brain is affected; I guess it depends where the ball hits most often, or where is softest, but if I was awarded a grant to study the effects, my first case study would be Mr Beckham.
Brian McKeckney was pronounced dead in a cricket match. It's a little more rare.
Watched MMA the other day and this idiot Indonesian guy that won, said he was going to kill his next opponent.
The commentators didn't say anything.
But you're right, the rules have changed to make it safer, but at the same time the athletes have got bigger and stronger and hit harder.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Is This the Beginnning of the End of Rugby Union as a Sport ?

Post by Anchor Moy »

Doddie Weir death: Tributes to former British & Irish Lions rugby player and MND campaigner who died aged 52
Tributes have poured in after rugby legend Doddie Weir died on Saturday night after years of battling motor neurone disease.
By Rahmah Ghazali
2 hours ago - 3 min read

Former Scotland international rugby player Doddie Weir died on Saturday (November 26) at the age of 52, six years after he was diagnosed with motor neurone disease (MND). Born in Edinburgh, Weir raised millions through a charity he set up with his wife, My Name’5 Doddie Foundation to aid research into MND following his diagnosis in 2016.

The lock forward won 61 caps between 1990 and 2000 for Scotland, including two in one World Cup against the All Blacks - the only Scot to achieve the feat. He is survived by his wife Kathy and sons Hamis, Angus, and Ben. In a moving tribute, his wife described her husband as “an inspirational force of nature.”

She wrote: "We are lucky to have shared our lives with him and we cherish all those memories: his love and warmth, his support and advice, his quick wit, and his terrible jokes. It is difficult to put into words how much we will miss him.

"MND took so much from Doddie, but never his spirit and determination. He battled MND so bravely, and whilst his own battle may be over, his fight continues through his foundation, until a cure is found for all those with this devastating disease. Hamish, Angus, Ben and I would like to thank everyone for your support and for respecting our privacy at this difficult time."
https://www.buxtonadvertiser.co.uk/spor ... 52-3932855
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic