Anyone have experience with Sky Angkor Airlines?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Anyone have experience with Sky Angkor Airlines?

Post by Kenr »

Freightdog wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:05 pm There is also another issue. The connecting flight is generally on an aircraft with much lower capacity and capability, and that especially applies to the holds when baggage is a concern.
Airbus fare a little better sometimes. But from what I’ve gleaned from colleagues, they do suffer, too.

The extra baggage or someone else’s, might find itself on a separate later flight for volumetric, total mass, baggage handling or performance issues. I’ve left plenty of bags behind in the past- I wouldn’t want the handling agent’s job of explaining to customers why their baggage is arriving in a few days…
I believe that is a direct flight from BKK-PNH.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Kenr wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:10 pm
Freightdog wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:05 pm There is also another issue. The connecting flight is generally on an aircraft with much lower capacity and capability, and that especially applies to the holds when baggage is a concern.
Airbus fare a little better sometimes. But from what I’ve gleaned from colleagues, they do suffer, too.

The extra baggage or someone else’s, might find itself on a separate later flight for volumetric, total mass, baggage handling or performance issues. I’ve left plenty of bags behind in the past- I wouldn’t want the handling agent’s job of explaining to customers why their baggage is arriving in a few days…
I believe that is a direct flight from BKK-PNH.
That’s true. But seats may probably also sold by Bangkok to Emirates who don’t fly to PNH- They have a connection between BKK & PNH serviced by local carriers.
It’s an arrangement that has gone through several adjustments since flights resumed post-covid.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Freightdog wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:45 pm
Kenr wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:22 pm
daeum_tnaot wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:11 pm My wife booked this flight to Bangkok not realizing what the consequences would be for our baggage. We need to bring a lot of luggage but that's the snag on the last leg.

We wanted to buy another seat so we would have additional baggage allowance.

Does anyone know if you can normally book two seats for one person?
Never heard of being able to do that.
Technically, you can. With some airlines, that is. It’s frequently been quoted (whether accurately or not, I don’t know) that this is appropriate for larger folk for whom one seat is either insufficient, or there are other reasons why it’s needed. Like mobility/health, etc.
Even musical instruments which cannot be carried in the hold might be accommodated in this manner.

But booking systems are inadequate, quite often, when doing this, as there needs to be a person allocated to said seat.
Contact the airline directly, and discuss it in plain language; (Ah!) Then, the appropriate arrangements might be possible. 2 people with 3 seats is actually how some airlines manage their pseudo-business cabin. They simply block off the middle seat

Tricky bit.
Check in and standby. Unoccupied or urgently needed seats may actually be made available by an airline to positioning crew (see the debacle in the US regarding a doctor being forcibly removed a couple of years ago, in the US, for this), standby passengers, oversales, etc.
Without proper arrangements, the extra seat can just as easily be in another part of the cabin in the same way as your travelling companion.

Yes, that non-refundable, or late high cancellation fee ticket can release a previously sold seat to a late booking, or someone waiting for a standby. The airline can possibly earn further revenue from the person who didn’t turn up.

Business class frequently allows a disproportionate increase in baggage allowance. Worth exploring. Likewise, the business upgrade.
Extra baggage charges- is it worth buying more? Possible?

There are so many permutations, it’s actually not possible for most mere mortals to find a solution.

And then! Even partner airlines operating different sectors (usually the feeder or connecting last flight) on your planned ticket may have their own more restrictive limits. Most of the time, this is not a problem, but where the likes of JetStar and Bangkok have had an arrangement with a bigger airline, like Emirates,, this can add a further level of uncertainty.

It’s such a joy!
Thanks for that input. I already booked two tickets for us and I will try to call them to ask directly if we can book another ticket for one of us. The baggage allowance is quite generous but it doesn't quite match what our major carrier that we used to travel to Bangkok allowed.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Just to update that we used this airline and had no problems for the flight.
cpandrea
Expatriate

Post by cpandrea »

John Bingham wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:52 pm I flew on Sky Angkor in August from BKK. The main reason was that they had a much better baggage allowance (most of the "bargain" ones have little or no baggage allowance and it costs a whole lot to add any) and ran a bit later in the day in case of fuck ups which did happen.
can you please confirm how many pieces of baggage can you take in 40 KG allowance with Sky Angkor
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

cpandrea wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:58 pm
John Bingham wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:52 pm I flew on Sky Angkor in August from BKK. The main reason was that they had a much better baggage allowance (most of the "bargain" ones have little or no baggage allowance and it costs a whole lot to add any) and ran a bit later in the day in case of fuck ups which did happen.
can you please confirm how many pieces of baggage can you take in 40 KG allowance with Sky Angkor
There were two of us and I think we were allowed 2 X 20 Kg hold baggage each and a cabin bag. It didn't matter much anyway as the hold baggage went missing on the way to BKK and had to be delivered by courier a couple of days after we got back to Phnom Penh. Either way it was a far bigger allowance than any other convenient airline.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:37 am
Thanks Kammekor, According to Sky Angkor Air, they allow a total of 40 kg for two pieces. I think they mean both of the pieces added together equal 40 kg.

On the standard international flight we'll be using to get to BKK its 23 kg * 2 is 46 kg per passenger.
It's a total of 40 kg for one passenger. So if we had two bags, both of them totaled up should be 40 kg. And you can have one carry on bag, I think it's 7 kg.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic