Koh Kong Mussel Farmers Struggle to Find Buyers

Provincial living: homesteading, farming, gardening, self-efficiency and animal husbandry.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Koh Kong Mussel Farmers Struggle to Find Buyers

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Anchor Moy wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:52 pm
truffledog wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:37 pm The biggest problems when eating mussels is the lack of trust I have in the cooling chain in Cambodia. Whoever ever suffered food poisoning from unfresh molluscs will know what I am talking about (those push-carts with the salted/spiced small red lipped white mussels are a horror to me). I would only eat them big black ones if I were very close to Koh Kong.
Those things in the push-carts are fresh-water winkles (I think) and they get sun-dried with chilli (to kill bacteria?). I've bought them for other people, and have never seen anyone die from eating them, but, no, I don't eat them myself.

I love mussels,but I've been really sick, (horrible chunder-gutzing think you will die for 24 hours), a couple of times after eating them in SEA, so I'm more careful these days. :bad:
Yeah, couple of places I've had them were catering more for westerners and said they imported them frozen to avoid what you both say there.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Koh Kong Mussel Farmers Struggle to Find Buyers

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

New Minister Gives Cooking Lessons
Mr. Dith Tina, who took over as Minister of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries, has been out to the provinces to meet with the local people. In a very hands on manner, in Koh Kong province, the Minster showed how he likes to cook mussels.
Cambodia News, Phnom Penh: Mr. Dith Tina, who took over as Minister of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries to replace Mr. Veng Sakhon in mid-October 2022, has traveled to several provinces to check the situation of farmers and fishermen. In Preah Sihanouk and Koh Kong, the yoiung minister met with provincial leaders to discuss work and challenges In agriculture, but what is more interesting is that the Minister of Agriculture showed his cooking skills and instructed people to eat more mussels. [Charmingly translated as "duck-beaks"].
In a post on Facebook, Dith Tina wrote: "I would like to introduce people to eating "duck-beaks", which in English is called "Green mussels" or in French it is called "les moules". These are sea animals that can feed naturally in the sea of ​​Koh Kong, we just put a pole to hold them, and they know how to find natural food from the water.
In addition, Mr. Dit Tina also showed a simple way to cook "duck beak", which gives a delicious taste.
The ingredients are as follows:
គ្រ Lemongrass stalks (slightly boiled) 2-3 stems,
ើច 3-4 funny leaves (??) as you like,
តូច A pinch of salt, kampot pepper
White wine, chilli
⁃ And you need 15-20 duck beak shells (for one eater), take off weed and clean before cooking.
- Put in boiling pot and stir
- When the duck beaks open, they are cooked.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic