Camera access on my PC

Phones, Internet, Computers and such.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Camera access on my PC

Post by Doc67 »

I was on the Khmer Times website, having a laugh, when my privacy settings notified me that it had just blocked access to my PC camera (as per my settings of: nobody, ever).

Does this mean that the Khmer Times website are trying to take photos and or filming?

Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: Camera access on my PC

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Doc67 wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:10 pm I was on the Khmer Times website, having a laugh, when my privacy settings notified me that it had just blocked access to my PC camera (as per my settings of: nobody, ever).

Does this mean that the Khmer Times website are trying to take photos and or filming?

A great many websites try to get perms for things on your PC and phone that they don't require to function

It's a decent idea for security to cover the webcam with a sticker/piece of tape or a dedicated cover (available in PC shops) when it's not in use.

I use masking tape on mine
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:26 pm
Doc67 wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:10 pm I was on the Khmer Times website, having a laugh, when my privacy settings notified me that it had just blocked access to my PC camera (as per my settings of: nobody, ever).

A great many websites try to get perms for things on your PC and phone that they don't require to function

It's a decent idea for security to cover the webcam with a sticker/piece of tape or a dedicated cover (available in PC shops) when it's not in use.

So am I right, they are basically spying on me?
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Doc67 wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:36 pm

If the site had camera access then they could get info from it, yeah; all websites and applications essentially spy on their users
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:38 pm

If the site had camera access then they could get info from it, yeah; all websites and applications essentially spy on their users
I am beginning to think Ted Kaczynski was right.

I have taped up the camera - problem fixed, and the microphone pin-holes next to it, but it still doesn't block the sound, it just makes it slightly muffled. Any ideas? Shove them full of blue-tak?
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Doc67 wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:55 pm

I have taped up the camera - problem fixed, and the microphone pin-holes next to it, but it still doesn't block the sound, it just makes it slightly muffled. Any ideas? Shove them full of blue-tak?
Mute the mic in your volume controls
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:01 pm
Doc67 wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:55 pm

Mute the mic in your volume controls
Done it. All set to off or zero.

Cheers...
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

A couple of sites that will help the less tech savvy users

How to Lock Down What Websites Can Access on Your Computer
https://www.wired.com/story/how-to-lock ... ss-webcam/

How to Block Camera and Mic Access in Every Major Browser