Online interview with U.K. passport office

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Online interview with U.K. passport office

Post by Doc67 »

armchairlawyer wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:49 pm
Doc67 wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:29 am
Taff wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:28 pm SUCCESS !!!
New passport arrived in Phnom Penh yesterday. Yippee!
March 17th to September 5th. What an efficient service our passport office provides especially as they are still complaining of lack of staff due to Covid !

Taff.
Congratulations!

May I ask, did VFS call you or email you to advise of the arrival of your passport?

I know someone who got theirs back in under 6 weeks recently, so I am eternally hopeful of getting mine back this month.
If you are eternally hopeful, doesn't that mean you expect to never get it?
Ok, I'll rephrase; I am credulously hopeful of getting it back this month.

Next month it will move to despairing hopeful.

In January it will be upgraded to desperate as I have travel plans in February.
Element6
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Element6 »

I had to be the bearer of bad news but there is strike action planned in December which will also affect some staff in the UK passport offices. I hope you get yours before that starts
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

March 17th to September 5th. What an efficient service our passport office provides especially as they are still complaining of lack of staff due to Covid !

Taff.
Congratulations!

May I ask, did VFS call you or email you to advise of the arrival of your passport?

I know someone who got theirs back in under 6 weeks recently, so I am eternally hopeful of getting mine back this month.
You will get an email from VFS when it's ready for collection.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Cowshed Cowboy wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:12 pm

Taff.
Congratulations!

Woo HOOO.......Passport is back, almost 2 months to the day.

Decisions decisions.....Penang for a bit of culture, or Pattaya for a bit of Lambo....
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Penang. Send a postcard
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Freightdog wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:14 am Penang. Send a postcard
Yeah, I am thinking Penang too. I'm on Google Maps at the moment locating watering holes and curry houses, then finding a hotel within walking distance from them both.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Doc67 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:22 am
Freightdog wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:14 am Penang. Send a postcard
Yeah, I am thinking Penang too. I'm on Google Maps at the moment locating watering holes and curry houses, then finding a hotel within walking distance from them both.
Pattaya , plenty of Indian restaurants, + lambo + nightlife
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

Doc67 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:34 am
Cowshed Cowboy wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:12 pm

Taff.
Congratulations!

Woo HOOO.......Passport is back, almost 2 months to the day.

Decisions decisions.....Penang for a bit of culture, or Pattaya for a bit of Lambo....
Nice one Doc, not too bad on the timing in the end. The great thing about getting it sorted as well as the obvious is knowing you likely won't have to do it again for another 10 years !! :D :thumb:
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

To the applicants who applied for a child’s first UK passport, I’d like to know how long the entire process took you, from the date the application was submitted at VFS, until you either received the passport, or were informed that the application has been denied.

For my son, the application was submitted 28 July 2022.
It wasn’t received in the UK until 3rd August, and they billed my account on 5th August.

Because the application had not begun processing, there was no way to check progress, which I discovered in late August when I called them to check on receipt of supporting documents.
The application then sat idle for 4 months before it was looked at mid November, at which point I was informed that most of the supporting documents were missing or incomplete.
So a whole new pack of documents was prepared and submitted.
I was then informed in mid January that they needed one further document, which was duly submitted.
Our invite for interview was received mid February, and we had the video interview 10days later.
We received a new request, mid March, for updated passport photos as the application was now more than 6 months old. Something that they didn’t acknowledge in January when it reached 6 months.
These were submitted to VFS on 20th March, and received around 28/29th March. But these have not yet been put on their system.

Yesterday, I was informed by email that processing will take a minimum of 31weeks once all documents are received, which potentially is going to be sometime mid/late August 2023, if the final final documents submitted in January start that clock running.

That’s 13months in total, and 4 months of that time with them doing absolutely nothing.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Freightdog wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:33 pm To the applicants who applied for a child’s first UK passport, I’d like to know how long the entire process took you, from the date the application was submitted at VFS, until you either received the passport, or were informed that the application has been denied.

For my son, the application was submitted 28 July 2022.
It wasn’t received in the UK until 3rd August, and they billed my account on 5th August.

Because the application had not begun processing, there was no way to check progress, which I discovered in late August when I called them to check on receipt of supporting documents.
The application then sat idle for 4 months before it was looked at mid November, at which point I was informed that most of the supporting documents were missing or incomplete.
So a whole new pack of documents was prepared and submitted.
I was then informed in mid January that they needed one further document, which was duly submitted.
Our invite for interview was received mid February, and we had the video interview 10days later.
We received a new request, mid March, for updated passport photos as the application was now more than 6 months old. Something that they didn’t acknowledge in January when it reached 6 months.
These were submitted to VFS on 20th March, and received around 28/29th March. But these have not yet been put on their system.

Yesterday, I was informed by email that processing will take a minimum of 31weeks once all documents are received, which potentially is going to be sometime mid/late August 2023, if the final final documents submitted in January start that clock running.

That’s 13months in total, and 4 months of that time with them doing absolutely nothing.
That's terrible.

My kids got their first Irish passport each in around three weeks total turnaround time, was pleasantly impressed
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic