Sihanoukville is a Mess; Authorities React

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Re: Sihanoukville is a Mess; Authorities React

Post by ExPenhMan »

Shitsville looks awful in this fresh vid from Vlogging a Dead Horse. I've seen a few of this guy's YT vids. He's quite the, uh, character and has spent a lot of time in many Asian countries.

Turns out he's very knowledgable about Shitsville's past. In sum, the place stinks, with much colourful language strewn in and some unkind words about the Chinese and dismay over the treatment of the Khmers.

The first 12-15 minutes is probably enough.

rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

ExPenhMan wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:41 am Shitsville looks awful in this fresh vid from Vlogging a Dead Horse. I've seen a few of this guy's YT vids. He's quite the, uh, character and has spent a lot of time in many Asian countries.

Turns out he's very knowledgable about Shitsville's past. In sum, the place stinks, with much colourful language strewn in and some unkind words about the Chinese and dismay over the treatment of the Khmers.

First 5 minutes was enough when he claimed the new road was built on the beach where restaurants huts used to be :facepalm: Makes his knowledge about shitsville past in doubt. Sounds like a broken record really.

Quick look in his other Cambodian videos seems to show this guy is bit of negative nancy about Cambodia when Thailand seem to be #1 in everything. Reminds me one of the forum members here.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

rogerrabbit wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:17 pm
ExPenhMan wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:41 am Shitsville looks awful in this fresh vid from Vlogging a Dead Horse. I've seen a few of this guy's YT vids. He's quite the, uh, character and has spent a lot of time in many Asian countries.

First 5 minutes was enough when he claimed the new road was built on the beach where restaurants huts used to be :facepalm: Makes his knowledge about shitsville past in doubt. Sounds like a broken record really.

Quick look in his other Cambodian videos seems to show this guy is bit of negative nancy about Cambodia when Thailand seem to be #1 in everything. Reminds me one of the forum members here.
You can turn off the volume and the place still looks shit, and apparently smells much the same.

Comes off as a total fail, especially considering the criminals who built it are now increasingly moving their illegal operations to other countries.
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
newsgatherer
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by newsgatherer »

The relationship between an NGO picking up trash in a brightly colored polo shirt recently printed on Facebook and real life surpasses even the most positivist views on the issue.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

ExPenhMan wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:41 am
Old funny relaxing easy going SHV is defintely dead. I have seen many place develop but this "project" beats them all.
work is for people who cant find truffles
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Yobbo »

Good to see the old man opposite the pier held fast, his property doesn't seem to have changed. :hattip:
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

I didn’t recognise the roads where he was walking. I miss the old rocky road. Remember the Irishman with the place on the beach to the right of the rocky road and the only resort on an island, Koh Russei.
I used to like Roddy’s tours and chasing the dragon at the brothels on the back road to Otres. And the chicken farm at the port with the $5 girls was so shit it was good. And the nightclub there.
Victory Hill was consistently awful but the quiz nights at the place on the right going down the hill were fun. And the black pommie bloke, the fireman had the neat little place on Victory Beach.
I used to spend months at a time down there just wasting my life away. It was always easy to put the moto on the bus and ride away from the bus station.
The islands were nothing special but cheap and fun. Snooky had all that empty land as if it was in a state of suspended animation just waiting for the Chinese to come.
Flexxman
Expatriate

Post by Flexxman »

willyhilly wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:32 pm And the nightclub there.
Biba. Now that was a weird place with the plastic flowers on the tables to hand to karaoke singers singing well. Beer promo girls almost fighting to get you to drink their brand. Counting the number of plastic plates under the pitcher to see how many your company had to settle your bill.

The food - unexpectedly - was also not bad, including large steamed fishes. Mamasan style waitress with a catalog full of pictures to choose/book the $5 girl to your liking from (or just leaf through for fun), copies of those pics plastered on the wall near the toilets where the small rooms to provide their services were. That also was the barang price, locals paid less.
jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jaynewcastle »

First time I've actually seen what has happened to the beachfront along from the pier & the streets behind it since my last visit in Jan 2018

I knew what happened to the right of the pier along that lovely stretch of shoreline where Above Us Only Sky used to be

I doubt there is anybody who thinks that's an improvement on what was there several years ago

Just so sad to see
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Bloody hell I watched the video and now this guy is popping up on my Facebook and YouTube, I didn't like it but someone thinks I did and can't get enough of it.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic