Eating too much duck?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Re: Eating too much duck?

Post by Darkcel »

Wife's aunt says I shouldn't eat jackfruit before bed or it'll make my insides "hot" it's better to just go along with it
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

Freightdog wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:25 pm
Bluenose wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:40 pm
Cambo Dear wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:56 pm Don't eat mangosteens and eat any sugar - you will die. Apparently. Safely advice from our Cambodian brethren, as ever.

You sure the missus doesn't just want some of that duck? 😁
Mangosteens do have an unusual effect on insulin levels so there is actually some basis to this one
Possibly….
In the same way as lightning is electricity, but known casually as fire

And fire can be quenched by sand?

Tenuous
No, not in the same way. Look it up.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Way back I was in this bar in the central area and the waitresses were trying to give us this "If you eat mangosteens and sugar you die!" stuff so we hopped on his dirt bike and belted to the night fruit stalls near Olympic and back with lots of mangosteens. We requested a bowl of sugar and happily munched on spoonfuls of sugar and lots of fruit, to the horror of the girls. I didn't die or feel at all sick but felt a bit rough the next day. I blamed that more on the 20 drinks than the fruit. 8-)
Silence, exile, and cunning.
pootylicious
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pootylicious »

Clutch Cargo wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:26 pm OK, I admit I quite like roast duck if it's not too scrawny and boney. Better than chicken imho.

Anyway, Mrs Clutch says it's not good to eat too much duck. Especially so if one is sick or not well. She said this was common knowledge in khmer culture.

So, according to her, it's best to eat sparingly.

Just curious, has anybody else heard about this?
Where you getting the duck from? There is a Chinaman that roasts the best Cantonese duck I've ever had, I grab a $10 tray that about twice a week. Been meaning to post his info but I keep forgetting.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Don't eat beef while you have a sore throat is a thing my in-laws harp on about.

Just old wives bs
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

pootylicious wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:48 pm
Clutch Cargo wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:26 pm OK, I admit I quite like roast duck if it's not too scrawny and boney. Better than chicken imho.

Anyway, Mrs Clutch says it's not good to eat too much duck. Especially so if one is sick or not well. She said this was common knowledge in khmer culture.

So, according to her, it's best to eat sparingly.

Just curious, has anybody else heard about this?
Where you getting the duck from? There is a Chinaman that roasts the best Cantonese duck I've ever had, I grab a $10 tray that about twice a week. Been meaning to post his info but I keep forgetting.
….and?
You’ve set the tastebuds watering.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:36 pm Don't eat beef while you have a sore throat is a thing my in-laws harp on about.

Just old wives bs
And ice in the beer will give you a cold and make you fat.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic