Air Asia opens PP to Penang from December 10th

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Air Asia opens PP to Penang from December 10th

Post by Username Taken »

First trip to Penang was in 1978. As I recall there were a lot of girlie bar dives, presumably to service the boys from Butterworth.
I have a photo of a young me at some snake temple with lots of snakes draped over my head.

Last visit was in 1998 (visa run). Some guy in the street asked if I wanted to buy some brown sugar. I guess he thought I wanted to do some cooking or something.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

armchairlawyer wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:57 am
truffledog wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 4:26 pm
Beaches are disappointing.
Why do you say that?

I stayed on the north coast and they looked good.
I will hazard a guess and say it's because there are no restaurants on them.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

Doc67 wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 2:05 pm
armchairlawyer wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:57 am
truffledog wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 4:26 pm
Beaches are disappointing.
Why do you say that?

I stayed on the north coast and they looked good.
I will hazard a guess and say it's because there are no restaurants on them.
You know me by now..availabilty of decent food is essential when I judge places. But good food and plentiful choice is available everywhere in Malysia IMHO.

Penang beaches make a refreshing break from any city life. But I would never travel to Penang to hang out my beach holidays. Visiting the islands surrounding Penang (Koh Adang, Tarutao, Langkawi,) you will see the difference in beach & water quality.
work is for people who cant find truffles
LaudJohn
Expatriate

Post by LaudJohn »

hanno wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:58 pm Been a couple of times to run the marathon and love it. Some of the best Indian and Chinese food I have had in SE Asia.
sorry, you lost me at "run the marathon"
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

That didn't last long. The direct flights seem to have disappeared. I was about to book it yesterday but wanted to check hotels first. This morning I found my hotel and was about to book the flight, but Air Asia no longer show the flights. SkyScanner do, with MyTrip, but that sounds like they haven't caught up.

Anyone know of AA have abandoned this route or they just don't want me onboard?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Doc67 wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:24 pm That didn't last long. The direct flights seem to have disappeared. I was about to book it yesterday but wanted to check hotels first. This morning I found my hotel and was about to book the flight, but Air Asia no longer show the flights. SkyScanner do, with MyTrip, but that sounds like they haven't caught up.

Gone.

They still have a flight with a stopover in DMK, but it's pretty inconvenient. You have to buy seperate tickets too, bearing the risk of a delay. Just looked into it last month.
Some days Malaysia has a more or less decent connection in KUL but more expensive and the flight back is a very early one, 6.20 AM if I recall well.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

Doc67 wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:24 pm That didn't last long. The direct flights seem to have disappeared. I was about to book it yesterday but wanted to check hotels first. This morning I found my hotel and was about to book the flight, but Air Asia no longer show the flights. SkyScanner do, with MyTrip, but that sounds like they haven't caught up.

What a disappointment. Probably not enough bookings to justify that destination. This happens on a regular basis..announcement of a new route...take bookings..check if enough response...drop it if economically not interesting.
work is for people who cant find truffles
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

truffledog wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:58 pm

What a disappointment. Probably not enough bookings to justify that destination. This happens on a regular basis..announcement of a new route...take bookings..check if enough response...drop it if economically not interesting.
They only just launched it, they didn't even give it a chance.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Kammekor wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:47 pm

Gone.

They still have a flight with a stopover in DMK, but it's pretty inconvenient. You have to buy seperate tickets too, bearing the risk of a delay. Just looked into it last month.
Some days Malaysia has a more or less decent connection in KUL but more expensive and the flight back is a very early one, 6.20 AM if I recall well.
Is that official? Have they abandoned the route or just delayed the launch?

Looks like my cultural trip to Panang just got diverted to Pattaya.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Doc67 wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:24 pm Anyone know of AA have abandoned this route or they just don't want me onboard?
I don't know but I'm not surprised, I don't really know where the demand for that route is supposed to be coming from.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic