Building a small retreat center near Angkor

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Building a small retreat center near Angkor

Post by frank lee bent »

OP has hoped for a more encouraging dialogue at 440.

They have not really warmed to the idea.
flying chicken
Expatriate

Post by flying chicken »

Just saw that. Not much response. I am sensing tensions or grudges arent yet to cease.
EVERYONE BOW DOWN AND PAY EXTREME HOMAGE TO HIS MAJESTIES flying chicken©
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

yeah- they are just lulling him
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

What about a nudist centre ? I think you would be the first.
Authentic nude Cambodia - plant and harvest rice in the nude, nude trailbike rides, and nude selfies in front of a model of Angkor Wat. There seems to be a demand for it.
cambodiaeo
Tourist

Post by cambodiaeo »

Enlightening :-)
CaliforniaGuy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by CaliforniaGuy »

Been following your 440 thread also. Sounds like you certainly have the credentials for the instruction part, but your business plan seems a bit rough. So many people here seriously underestimate the costs and the time and work required to setup a business in Cambodia. You might be a great success, but you would be one of the very very few. Cambodia is a poor country, business is hard, and people come to Angkor as a once in a lifetime bucket list destination, not like the beach resorts of Thailand that can be an annual destination. To be successful you will need repeat clients, how will you get them? Travel to get here is expensive. How do you plan to advertise and promote, who will be your customers, yoga students or yoga schools who need a retreat location. Another route might be setting up something in your home country first, with annual or semi-annual trips to study in Angkor. If it is successful you can grow from there. Two weeks here is not nearly enough to get the info you need, especially if your budget is limited. I don't mean to sound like a downer, just trying to be realistic. Have had my own business in the U.S. for over 30 years, that was hard enough. Setting up a business in Cambodia would scare me s***less.
I wish I knew a whole lot more, or a whole lot less.
cambodiaeo
Tourist

Post by cambodiaeo »

Thank CG, I appreciate your realism, especially because it is logical and evidence-based. These are the kind of constructive warnings I need to hear.

I can get some customers through online marketing, I just need to understand if it is financially sustainable.

Good point about returning guests. When we host third-party retreats, they will deal with it themselves. When it comes to our own retreats, I'd like to stay away from gatherings which have Level I, II, III, etc. They work really well, business wise. Easier to sell to a happy customer, than to get a new one. At the same time, it just creates dependence. It attracts people who are insecure and need constant validation. It is not beneficial to their personal path. Maybe a valid approach can be something like a couple of annual retreats, where I make clear that nothing has to be gained, but which can be skillful ways to keep cultivating one's awareness.

A few people mentioned that tourists come to SR for a very short time, to see AW, and then never come back again. That may be one of the reasons why Cambodia is flexible about visas, and why the prices - while growing fast - are still reasonable. The big question mark: is this going to change in the next 5 to 10 years?

Usually, places next to the beach are easier sells, so SV seems to have potential. But then, again, Chiang Mai in Thailand is doing well. Cheers
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Usually, places next to the beach are easier sells, so SV seems to have potential. But then, again, Chiang Mai in Thailand is doing well. Cheers
Just a heads-up : there is no place in Cambodia that is less spiritual than S'ville- IMO.
Or maybe Otres ?
Go see for yourself what the vibes are.
cambodiaeo
Tourist

Post by cambodiaeo »

thank you AM!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic