New Khmer Riel Banknotes in Circulation

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
rgrowden
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: New Khmer Riel Banknotes in Circulation

Post by rgrowden »

I recently saw an older Khmer gentleman pay for medicine at a pharmacy with 100 riel notes - hundreds of them.

I save all the 100 and 500 riel notes I get for a year, then give them to my tuktuk guy every January. He seems to appreciate them, bought a garish pair of shoes the last time. I estimated there's about $20 worth of small bills in the stack.
BobtheBillder
Expatriate

Re: New Khmer Riel Banknotes in Circulation

Post by BobtheBillder »

Doc67 wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:10 pm What's the point of a 200Riel note? That's 5c. Is there any other country that issues a 5c equivalent note?

The 500's are in a terrible condition because they are used all the time. The 100's are only given in change by shops with cash registers that insist on the 4100 riels to the $ and use 100's to secure their little profits. Those 100's then end up at home in a pile at home. I have hundreds of them and they are almost all in perfect condition, which tells me nobody else uses them either.

I wonder what is the all-in cost of printing and securely delivering these 100 and 200 notes and it they actually make a profit on them.
I used to keep a 50 riel note in my wallet for good luck.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic