Gout

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
johnny lightning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Gout

Post by johnny lightning »

Is that all? Well I'll get right on it! And of course you have clinical studies that after all of this you are "cured"? On second thought, nahhhh. I'll stick with the poison colchicine. I'd rather have gout than do all that shit.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Colchicine is pretty hard on the system, and ultimately only treats the symptom- swelling, and pain. It does not prevent gout. I guess it may mask it by continualky providing control of the swelling. But I’m no quack, so what do I know?

Not all gout sufferers drink alcohol or have high sugar intake. Those two items are contributory. Risk factors. hyperuricemia.

@CatBurglar your diatribe against doctors quoting them as quacks (and yes, the medical profession is well represented)- you do realise that your presentation puts you squarely in the same boat, don’t you? What you present as a cure is not. It is management of the condition or risk factors.

The better option is not to have the issue in the first place. Dietary adjustments may achieve that. If that worked for you, great. But suggesting, (pushing) that your situation is the same as everyone else’s is reckless, as you may not have certain medications in your routine that others might.
CatBurglar
Expatriate
Australia

Post by CatBurglar »

Casting pearls before swine is a waste of time. I should know better.
camborambo
Expatriate
Switzerland

Post by camborambo »

Freightdog wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 8:44 am Colchicine is pretty hard on the system, and ultimately only treats the symptom- swelling, and pain. It does not prevent gout. I guess it may mask it by continualky providing control of the swelling. But I’m no quack, so what do I know?

Not all gout sufferers drink alcohol or have high sugar intake. Those two items are contributory. Risk factors. hyperuricemia.

@CatBurglar your diatribe against doctors quoting them as quacks (and yes, the medical profession is well represented)- you do realise that your presentation puts you squarely in the same boat, don’t you? What you present as a cure is not. It is management of the condition or risk factors.

The better option is not to have the issue in the first place. Dietary adjustments may achieve that. If that worked for you, great. But suggesting, (pushing) that your situation is the same as everyone else’s is reckless, as you may not have certain medications in your routine that others might.
Coud not have i said better,thank you.
So if you want to have a normal life,take Adenuric.
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Post by Khmu Nation »

I have started chugging through 3 or 4 L of water a day. (I was drinking no water at all.) Its been two or three weeks now and the difference has been profound. My gout has subsided significantly. I have also lost weight (?) even though my diet hasn't changed. Plus I look about 10 years younger, I have stopped constantly forgetting where things are (keys, phone, wallet, motorbike, 2 year old son, etc...) and I feel generally happier too.

:thumb:

I should add there is one downside - I piss at least 15 times day!
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Khmu Nation wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:15 am I have started chugging through 3 or 4 L of water a day. (I was drinking no water at all.) Its been two or three weeks now and the difference has been profound. My gout has subsided significantly. I have also lost weight (?) even though my diet hasn't changed. Plus I look about 10 years younger, I have stopped constantly forgetting where things are (keys, phone, wallet, motorbike, 2 year old son, etc...) and I feel generally happier too.

:thumb:

I should add there is one downside - I piss at least 15 times day!
Pissing out the Uric acid.
Hydration seems to be a major factor- not surprising, really. The Renal system does the removal, and for that it requires water. :thumb:
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

Alupurinol is the actif product inside the meds, it has probably 100 brands, every country has its own. Any chemist in the world knows Alupurinol, usually i get it next to old Shenanigans on 13th. But i have it always with me, and when i wake up in the morning and i feel the smallest "tintel" in my big toe, i take alupurinol for a couple of days, usually between 3 and 6 days, and be a good boy, no alcohol, and it doesnt hit me. If you dont have it home, and you are lazy, in the moring if you feel it, you think, bwwaaa, not to bad, tomorrow it will be over, you ar fuc*** 48 hours later. It works for me perfcet like that. Red wine is bad, white wine not. And strangly (for me), wheat beer like Hoegaarden knever ever hits me, i can drink barrels from it, there would be something different in it then in the "normal" beer, vitamin C or some lemon/orange extract !! And changes of habits can make hit it you also, even abrupt stopping with alcohol, what i do every year, is also dangerous, but same modus-operandi, be good boy, take some days alulurinol, and no pain for me !!
bittermelon
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by bittermelon »

Alupurinol is the active ingredient in Alupurinol, and whatever brandname it has.
Colchicine is ancient and as such theres not really any $ in it for pharmaceutical companies. Don't want to sound all "oohh evil pharma" but I think there may have been an effort to play up up the risk of colchicine in favour of the alternative treatment - NSAIDS with a much higher margin. I have zero evidence.
You seem to know your stuff on the subject Freightdog so no wish to argue and you are right that colchicine doesnt prevent gout but it does have some gout specfic qualities that somehow reduce the attack doesn't it? I am a big fan of the stuff as i have, the 3 or 4 times that i have used it had a good response. Still, that could have been something of a coincidence with the fact that by the time i got to take the pills the attack my have come to its natural end. It was a bone of contention with my GP in NZ that she flatout refused to prescribe it to me . Times like that i really miss being able to hop on pushbike and go down to my favourite pharmacist for pretty much anything i could need. Usually for a low single digit sum. Empowering i guess. Especially when ou have to wait 2 weeks + to see a GP most places in NZ.
My GP used the expression "perfect storm" describing a gout attack. I think in my case a lot of the time my gout attack is triggered by knocking the toe in a way that might not have been much of an issue without the presence of those razor sharp uric acid crystals. Which also were just minding their own business lodged there in my toe until i had clobbered them against an inconveniently shaped piece of curb.
I'm not so down with the all docs are quacks bit, i think when you have a good one it really improves your life. Peace of mind that if something goes wrong you have someone you can trust. But for sure some, if not many docs are those "educated idiot" types.

Allupurinol is a preventative and somehow because of how it works it can actually cause a gout attack to start with. Fun. A few doctors back my South Africa quack (and he was a legit quack in the nicest possible way) was on bit of a hobby horse about how gout/ uric acid also had some relationship with heart and blood pressure issues. And that Alupurinol also reduces these. None of the docs since have mentioned it. Interesting the prohibition on commercial flying with it, I am sure the bar is high but would seem to indicate some kind of reduced faculties??
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

My own knowledge on the topic is largely self learned and (mostly during the COVID pandemic when doctors in Europe were borderline uncontactable), but with a lot of input from a friend who is a pharmacology professor, and whom I refer to as my personal Heisenberg. I’m not a big fan of taking medicines, anyway.

The restrictions on commercial flying are all down to what’s approved by the relevant authorities.
Many anti malarial drugs are not allowed, for instance. If you take them (or any unapproved drugs), and operate, it’s breaking the law. No ‘problem’ if nothing is known. But if something comes out due to another investigation, it can stop a career dead. Much of these are regulated and approved by a posse of elite consultants within a glacial and inconsistent bureaucracy.

Colchicine is based on ages old medicine. It is supposedly very dangerous for children. I can actually feel it’s effect on the gastric system if I take close to a full dose. It just makes me feel rough for hours. I just take half a dose, slightly more frequently.

It’s funny that it really does seem to target old wounds, too. Just as curious that the left big toe is a commonly affected joint- human physiology is wonderful with its traps and idiosyncrasies.
@Bongmab69 already noted that there’s something of a forewarning- A familiar tingle in a joint. That’s when I double the intake of vitamin C and remind myself that water is good. And try to avoid stubbing my toes…
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic