Phnom Penh Nightclub A7 Catches Fire

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Phnom Penh Nightclub A7 Catches Fire

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News (Phnom Penh): At 4:25 pm on November 2, 2022, the A7 nightclub in Toul Key village, Sangkat Pleung Ches Rotes, Khan Kombol, Phnom Penh was reported to be on fire. The nightclub belongs to Prom Sovannra, a 31-year-old man. The cause of the fire hasn't been determined yet, as the authorties continue to investigate.
The building is 15x30m, and the fire destroyed all of the property inside the nightclub. Fortunately, nobody was injured or killed in the incident.
The fire was put out successfully at 5:20 pm by the firemen using 10 firetrucks.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Phnom Penh Nightclub A7 Catches Fire

Post by xandreu »

Fires seem to be a much, much bigger issue in Cambodia than most other countries I've lived in. Anyone have any idea why? Poor electrical wiring? The abundance of portable gas canisters? The fact that people tend to use wood / charcoal more as a source of fuel?
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Notably, 2 nightclub fires in 24(?) hours? But given the number of fires attributed (known) to electrical issues, and the state of many electrical systems there, it must be a reasonable starting point.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Nothing is earthed, the electric installations are done by Bong Samnang from the boonies, fire safety inspectors are sent along with an envelope of cash. These places are death traps.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

What’s funny about that?

Oh. Wrong thread. Soz.
People of the world, spice up your life.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

hanno wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:48 am Nothing is earthed, the electric installations are done by Bong Samnang from the boonies, fire safety inspectors are sent along with an envelope of cash. These places are death traps.
Taking of death traps, on my recent property search I noticed that the condos have staircases masquerading as fire escapes, but none had airtight (i.e., smoketight) doors fitted to them. I noticed this after seeing a couple of buildings and one building in particular had an open staircase leading up to the roof where all the doors to the pool we open. You could see to the ground floor from the top of the staircase and feel a breeze rising up the stairwell. These are nothing more than chimneys. If a serious fire broke out on floor 3, all floors above will be smoke filled courtesy of the so-called fire escape.

The only exception was Aura Condominiums on street 63, however they had been wedged open because the cleaner was mopping the stairs, which is a big No-No.

This discovery has pretty much ruled out a condo above the first floor. One of the reasons for a move was to improve my fire/risk of death factor.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Doc67 wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:07 am
hanno wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:48 am Nothing is earthed, the electric installations are done by Bong Samnang from the boonies, fire safety inspectors are sent along with an envelope of cash. These places are death traps.
Taking of death traps, on my recent property search I noticed that the condos have staircases masquerading as fire escapes, but none had airtight (i.e., smoketight) doors fitted to them. I noticed this after seeing a couple of buildings and one building in particular had an open staircase leading up to the roof where all the doors to the pool we open. You could see to the ground floor from the top of the staircase and feel a breeze rising up the stairwell. These are nothing more than chimneys. If a serious fire broke out on floor 3, all floors above will be smoke filled courtesy of the so-called fire escape.

The only exception was Aura Condominiums on street 63, however they had been wedged open because the cleaner was mopping the stairs, which is a big No-No.

This discovery has pretty much ruled out a condo above the first floor. One of the reasons for a move was to improve my fire/risk of death factor.
Same in Vietnam. When staying in hotels here, I usually take the stairs. But too often the emergency staircases are used as storage rooms for housekeeping and F&B and are impassable.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

The chances of you being involved in a fire is pretty small. You’ve got far more chance of being in a vehicle accident but most people don’t seem to try and mitigate those risks.

“No way you’ll get me in a high rise”
“What you doing later?”
“Going out, getting waisted, shag a ladyboy bear back, ride home and take an hour to open my front door whilst dropping my new IPhone and wallet”
People of the world, spice up your life.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic