At least 149 in South Korean stampede

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
hburns
Expatriate
Togo

Re: At least 149 in South Korean stampede

Post by hburns »

Seeing the news about think made me think how can this happen? There was no explosion or terrorist attack, no natural disaster and no buildings or walls that collapsed so how can so many people die? It must have been a terrifying situation for those people caught up in this.
hburns
Expatriate
Togo

Post by hburns »

Saw this comment on a YouTube video. Seems like some good advice and thought it might be worth sharing.

Most people usually die standing because they cannot breathe as the crowd is compressing everyone.. the ribcages get crushed and your lungs cant expand to breath.

Life saving tips everyone should know..
1) Always keep your hands up in a fighting stance when u r in a stampede to survive, this automatically locks your elbow besisde your ribcage and creates an extra space for you, you can also protect your face thisway.

2)Never go against the crowd, if the crowd is pushing a certain direction.. keep calm and steadily follow the crowd, never go against it.. you will be crushed 100% and fall down.

3. Be calm at all times, keep your breathing rhythm in check and do not waste energy, most common cause of death in a stampede is lack of oxygen... people die from cardiac arrest in a stampede, screaming and panicing increases the likelihood of shortness of breath which leads to fatal injury.

4. Be attentive and Look for alternative exit route or high grounds to climb with much less density to wait out the crowd but do not try to ever go against the crowd.

5. When u fall down, immediately get back up, if this is not possible, protect your head as much as possible by curling up your elbows beside your head. Do whatever you can do get back up by giving directions to people around you instead of screaming.

6. Most importantly, always be aware of your surrounding,when the crowd density is getting very high, never go near chokepoints such as corridors, narrow street as shown in vid, small single entrance doorways .
DONT put yourself into a stampede situation, if the crowd density is getting uncomfortably dangerous(eg) u can touch more than 6 people within arms length at anypoint of time. Immediately leave the area to a less crowded one.
angsta
Expatriate
Iran

Post by angsta »

I know this street pretty well. The pub that sponsored my soccer team is/was at the top of it so I have been up and down it many times. It really is not very wide. I have never seen Itaewon so busy. The footage looked horrible.
AinC reels off an eloquent and thought provoking monologue adlib
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

hburns wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:39 pm Saw this comment on a YouTube video. Seems like some good advice and thought it might be worth sharing.

Most people usually die standing because they cannot breathe as the crowd is compressing everyone.. the ribcages get crushed and your lungs cant expand to breath.

Life saving tips everyone should know..
1) Always keep your hands up in a fighting stance when u r in a stampede to survive, this automatically locks your elbow besisde your ribcage and creates an extra space for you, you can also protect your face thisway.

2)Never go against the crowd, if the crowd is pushing a certain direction.. keep calm and steadily follow the crowd, never go against it.. you will be crushed 100% and fall down.

3. Be calm at all times, keep your breathing rhythm in check and do not waste energy, most common cause of death in a stampede is lack of oxygen... people die from cardiac arrest in a stampede, screaming and panicing increases the likelihood of shortness of breath which leads to fatal injury.

4. Be attentive and Look for alternative exit route or high grounds to climb with much less density to wait out the crowd but do not try to ever go against the crowd.

5. When u fall down, immediately get back up, if this is not possible, protect your head as much as possible by curling up your elbows beside your head. Do whatever you can do get back up by giving directions to people around you instead of screaming.

6. Most importantly, always be aware of your surrounding,when the crowd density is getting very high, never go near chokepoints such as corridors, narrow street as shown in vid, small single entrance doorways .
DONT put yourself into a stampede situation, if the crowd density is getting uncomfortably dangerous(eg) u can touch more than 6 people within arms length at anypoint of time. Immediately leave the area to a less crowded one.
Sounds like solid advice. I'll add something I saw yesterday, people were comparing a crowd like that to being caught in a riptide, the same rules seem to apply... if you can go across the current and try to pop out the side.
bossho
Aging Tweaker
United States of America

Post by bossho »

Since CPR is a life saving skill to have and posters are talking about those skills, I thought to include a link on a very short official CPR instructional video. It's important to note that if you had CPR training in the past, as many of us have, CPR is now trained in a very different way. Notably, the amount of compressions in hands only CPR has gone way up, like three times up from how you were trained if you were trained 20 years ago or more.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic