Another new house

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Mr Curious
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Another new house

Post by Mr Curious »

Soi Dog wrote:I would put thatch on top of that roof. Keeps the sun from heating the metal and dampens the sound when it's raining.
while I like rain on a metal roof, what appalls ME is they don't even consider venting. Most all i've seen are ovens over living space. Like if *I* had that house with metal roof, I'd put in louvered gable vents on both ends. Maybe FULL louvering. At LEAST ridge vents with eave vents to draw in cooler air. There's many ways to encourage airflow thru the area above the ceiling. Without fans.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Mr Curious wrote:
Soi Dog wrote:I would put thatch on top of that roof. Keeps the sun from heating the metal and dampens the sound when it's raining.
while I like rain on a metal roof, what appalls ME is they don't even consider venting. Most all i've seen are ovens over living space. Like if *I* had that house with metal roof, I'd put in louvered gable vents on both ends. Maybe FULL louvering. At LEAST ridge vents with eave vents to draw in cooler air. There's many ways to encourage airflow thru the area above the ceiling. Without fans.
The colour of the roof was supposed to have been '' cream '' which would not absorb so much heat like dark colours, so at a later date I may look at sheets of polystyrene stuck to the underside. This would not only stop the direct heat from the sun coming through but would cut down the sound of the rain.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Mr Curious
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Mr Curious »

rolled fibreglass laid down on the ceiling would do it too, keeping much of the heat up top. Also much less area to deal with than the roof. Here in the deep south the old method was a large sheetmetal pipe affair with a free spinning cap with angled venting causing it to spin, you could see it goin and know it was working, turbine style. Don't look so good but lets OUT the oven heat in the attic. Or an end grill with an electric fan coupled to a thermostatic switch to turn on the fan at say 110 degrees or something, with a similar size vent on the other gable. Your gables are sheetmetal so this would be easy to do.

Before I'd styro the entire roof, I'd try it on a few panels as what you use to adhere it to the roof might let GO from the high heat of the metal. Best if you could attach it to the rafters with a little airspace between it and the metal.

OH OH...I JUST realized upon examining the finished photo that you don't have a hung ceiling on this so there IS airflow all along each side where the roof rests on the top plate as it were. Yeah, take out a triangle on each gable at the peak point and I think it would move more air (hot...out). The foam panels could be affixed with wire I spose. It's a nice size place, easy to keep clean.

If you want to shade that blue metal ya could put some good size solar panels over it :)
Bosco
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Bosco »

Anyone know what price would this 6k house be with double brick and a better roof to keep the house out?
Mr Curious
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Mr Curious »

well, chew on this idea...
no bricks. Water bottles. A guy (look up Garbage Warrior, GOOD doc) has been using those instead for many years. Went to the Andaman Islands after the typhoon/flood. Built a house there (with 10,000 litre cistern under it supplied by rain to gutters, to cistern, and circulating air from above it to cool the house). Cut the top off one, shove another into that open end. Lay up wall. Air in the bottle might be good enough to not need a seperated second wall. Btw, my great grandfather did JUST what you suggest with his general store (with rooms on the second floor for traveling salesman) in the late 1800s I believe it was, in Florida.

I think one wall with lots of trapped airspace in it might do the trick. The bottle/bricks are, I'd guess about the length of two bricks end to end.

Google "Garbage warrior water bottle brick walls" images and you'll see some pretty amazing stuff.

The Adaman house is at the bottom of this page..
http://dharma-documentaries.net/garbage-warrior

the documentary can supposedly be viewed here...
http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/garbage-warrior/

tho I have not tried it. I dl'd it a while back and have it on a drive.

Lord KNOWS there's plenty of plastic bottles in Cambodia. In the Adamans they were payin kids almost nothin for em and got LOTS. So maybe 100 riel each? or 50? BAM, now ya just need cement.

OR you could just build Mayan pyramids out of em, in CAMBODIA !

a double roof would be good I think. Quickest way to keep a trailer cool is build a gable roof over it. Tho there IS a paint that helps a lot. Cool-eze here but there seem to be a copy product sold in Thailand. The light color woulda helped a lot but I suspect someone gonna be living in the house liked blue :) Khmers are WACKY over medium and darker blue it seems.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Final Update.

Our original estimate was to be $5,000, but that did not allow for the shop front [5m x 3m ] and the roof over it, or the folding shop door. So far have spent $5,800, plus or minus a bit, and need to spend aprox $250 for the roof extension at the back and the toilet aprox $200.
It is surprisingly cool inside with a good air flow but that could change when the hotter weather comes. I hope this will give an idea of what it costs for a basic house to be built.

Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
flying chicken
Expatriate

Post by flying chicken »

I think the shop front color looks better in orange and purple polka dots.
EVERYONE BOW DOWN AND PAY EXTREME HOMAGE TO HIS MAJESTIES flying chicken©
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

Duncan wrote:Family member wanted to borrow $5000 to build a house on some land 10m x 15m that his mother in law had given them. Borrow usually means you never get paid back. Instead of handing over $5k and showing I'm rich, I opted to pay for it bit by bit. So far has cost about $3,000, for the 5m x 7 m building and he has showed me receipts for everything except the labour, $600, cause they have not finished yet. The floor is built up nearly 1m because the river behind sometimes floods.

It is hard to change this stereotype. Cambodian always thought that barang is rich.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Secret Squirrel
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Secret Squirrel »

Thanks for sharing. Be very interested to see costs breakdown and hear the views on how well you have done.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Thanks for sharing that Duncan. I have a fairly new Khmer style wooden house on stilts and am considering building a brick and mortar extension below and behind, so the cost of your build gives me a rough idea of what I can expect to spend...hopefully I can do it cheaper! When I eventually get around to it I'll post my progress and results also.

Cheers bro :thumb:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic