$50 - $100 for bar girls. What am I missing?

This is the part of the forum where we discuss Cambodia's nightlife! While most bars, nightclubs, pubs, beer gardens, and hostess bars are in Phnom Penh, we discuss the Cambodian nightlife across all of Cambodia, including Siem Reap, Kampot, and Sihanoukville. The main nightlife areas in Phnom Penh are on Street 136, Street 130, Street 110 and Street 51, but there are other party spots that aren't girlie bars where expats, tourists, and locals drink until the sun comes up. Feel free to post specials and promotions that relate to nighttime fun!
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Re: $50 - $100 for bar girls. What am I missing?

Post by IraHayes »

Doc67 wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:14 am
Plan B wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:34 am There is a price point where you get customer ' price resistance '!!!

You only have to walk down st136 and st 130 to see that point has been reached.

The case in hand is an example. Customers planning to go elsewhere. How it plays out usually see girls start moving about a lot more and bars start coming on market.

Prices must meet the market. At the moment they don't!!!
The lady drink price of $4.50 has now reached that price point, at least for me. When you see them charge $4.50 for a small glass of ice with a dash of beer, you are just being mugged off. They will drink their thimblefull long before you are halfway through your beer and then you are on the hook for another one or have to watch them holding up the empty glass and looking sad. So, one beer ends up costing you about $10 for a duff beer and a dull conversation. I don't bother anymore.

I think that is the M.O. for a lot of them: 2 x LD = $4 in their pocket. 5 times a night and they have $20. Do that 27 nights a month and that's $540. They might even get a salary of $150-$200 on top of that if they are good earners.

Throw in a few regular punters and the occasional stranger they actually don't mind shagging @$50 a pop, so that's another $200 - $400 a month. They are now up to $800-$1000+, and they've not really done any "prostituting", they just shagged who they want to, when they want to. Go Sisters!!

They might not be educated, literate or speak much English, but they can all do maths.
I think Doc hit the nail squarely on the head with this post. And while it won't apply to all the girls i bet it accounts for a fair chunk of them.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

RafTig wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:34 am Maybe they are switching to a Japanese centric model, where lonely Japanese men will pay ludicrous sums of money and shower women with gifts just to chat.

If you have been to Japan, there are whole suburbs with these bars over there. It totally isn't my thing, but kudos to the girls if that plays, as it's a much better model for them : )

I asked the question out of confusion and not to complain, to me it seemed like a waste for so much potential sitting vacant, but if it's working, I have no choice but to tip my hat to them.
@Big Daikon is probably the expert on matters Japanese on this forum. What say you, Big D?
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cooldude »

They might not be educated, literate or speak much English, but they can all do maths.

Correctamundo.
Plan B
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by Plan B »

Another important factor not appreciated by bar owners and their staff is the unfavorable currency moves recently. !!!

Okay if you an American. But for Kiwi , Australians and English we could get a high class hooker back home cheaper than the Phnom Penh prices.

Watch this high season fall flat!!! Mostly down to dollar and air ticket prices.

Sooner or later they must meet market or go hungry.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Correct me if I’m wrong, but is the OP the only individual here that has been quoted the $50 - $100 ST rate? I haven’t read, unless I missed it, anyone else being quoted that price.
Kayve
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kayve »

There's a legend around, It says if you mention Jamie Lambo, the price may decrease down to 50% !
Don't forget the water buffalo
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Kayve wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:36 am There's a legend around, It says if you mention Jamie Lambo, the price may decrease down to 50% !
Do you have to say his name three times?
Kayve
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kayve »

Kenr wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:38 am
Kayve wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:36 am There's a legend around, It says if you mention Jamie Lambo, the price may decrease down to 50% !
Do you have to say his name three times?
Never dared !
Don't forget the water buffalo
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

Doc67 wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:14 am
Plan B wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:34 am There is a price point where you get customer ' price resistance '!!!

You only have to walk down st136 and st 130 to see that point has been reached.

The case in hand is an example. Customers planning to go elsewhere. How it plays out usually see girls start moving about a lot more and bars start coming on market.

Prices must meet the market. At the moment they don't!!!
The lady drink price of $4.50 has now reached that price point, at least for me. When you see them charge $4.50 for a small glass of ice with a dash of beer, you are just being mugged off. They will drink their thimblefull long before you are halfway through your beer and then you are on the hook for another one or have to watch them holding up the empty glass and looking sad. So, one beer ends up costing you about $10 for a duff beer and a dull conversation. I don't bother anymore.

I think that is the M.O. for a lot of them: 2 x LD = $4 in their pocket. 5 times a night and they have $20. Do that 27 nights a month and that's $540. They might even get a salary of $150-$200 on top of that if they are good earners.

Throw in a few regular punters and the occasional stranger they actually don't mind shagging @$50 a pop, so that's another $200 - $400 a month. They are now up to $800-$1000+, and they've not really done any "prostituting", they just shagged who they want to, when they want to. Go Sisters!!

I don’t know how things are in PP, but I’d be very surprised if girls are making anything close to that kind of money in Kampot.
I’ve had a night in Kampot maybe a dozen times in the last year, and most of the hostess bars have been empty, one or two bars maybe had a couple of customers, venture into a bar, and a half dozen girls literally swarm around you like the proverbial flies round shit, to the point that it’s annoying, there’s a distinct air of desperation in the bars.
I can’t say for certain it’s like that every night, but I’d have expected to hit at least one “busy” night in a dozen visits if that isn’t the case.
A few bars have closed in that time, no doubt through lack of customers, yet at least one bar was attempting to charge five bucks for a lady drink (6 none too spectacular looking ladies and zero customers) I can’t understand how it’s sustainable.
Plan B
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by Plan B »

It's not sustainable!! Very likely the bars running at substantial losses. So how can they survive? The other factor at play is the stupid ,absent owner's boyfriend pouring his hard earned money down a bottomless pit.

' I wait you honey. I not go other man. But I might have to if you not open wallet more and save bar'.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic