$50 - $100 for bar girls. What am I missing?

This is the part of the forum where we discuss Cambodia's nightlife! While most bars, nightclubs, pubs, beer gardens, and hostess bars are in Phnom Penh, we discuss the Cambodian nightlife across all of Cambodia, including Siem Reap, Kampot, and Sihanoukville. The main nightlife areas in Phnom Penh are on Street 136, Street 130, Street 110 and Street 51, but there are other party spots that aren't girlie bars where expats, tourists, and locals drink until the sun comes up. Feel free to post specials and promotions that relate to nighttime fun!
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Re: $50 - $100 for bar girls. What am I missing?

Post by rozzieoz »

You sound like a top bloke.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

It’s one thing not to be happy about or question the prices the ladies want for their services, but it’s another thing to insult them by questioning whether they are willing to “work” for it or not.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

Depends a lot on how you approach it.
When you want to just pick a lady and go off to your room it signals a bit of desperation and prices go up.

There is also a save face involved cause the girls do compare what they get paid. So running off with someone after 5 minutes chat and come back with 20 bucks is not ideal, you want to come back with the 50 or 100 like "all the others".

If you were to sit down and get to know someone a bit and chat over a couple of drinks, maybe even more than once, you'll notice how prices go down a lot.

Cambodia is more like your GFE than say Thailand where they have perfected the In Out model.

Just my 2 cents.
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

What you're missing is a sense of decency.
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

rozzieoz wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 12:35 pm What you're missing is a sense of decency.
NEXT TIME i see you after midnight at Oscars, i will barfine you, rozzz !!
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Bongmab69 wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 12:49 pm NEXT TIME i see you after midnight at Oscars, i will barfine you, rozzz !!
Free for you, you sexy beast. lol.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

RafTig wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 3:13 am Hi guys.

What's the deal with the girl scene here? I walked around some of the bars and no one would budge below $50 for ST.

Before anyone says I'm an old slob that deserves a premium, I'm traveling around and was in Thailand before, where in Pattaya I'd pay what ends up being $26 - $30 for a freelancer, and $26 with a $6ish bar fine at the clubs.

Am I just spoilt by Pattaya? I wasn't approaching any gogo level talent, nor frankly saw it at all.

I'm all for the girls getting the best deal they can, but it just seemed like they were all sitting around waiting for the seemingly non existent customer to arrive.

What am I missing here? Are they not willing to put in the "work" as much as the Thai? Do they not need the money as much?

After reading that you could get ST for $30 I was ready to take a girl home every night of my stay, give the $10 to the bar and another $10 in drinks for myself and the girl, and probably have her back in an hour to sit around and do nothing for the rest of the night.
Prob they find you unattractive or repulsive so the tax for that is a higher price for you than for the john they like a bit more or find more attractive
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:03 pm

What's the deal with the girl scene here? I walked around some of the bars and no one would budge below $50 for ST.

Before anyone says I'm an old slob that deserves a premium, I'm traveling around and was in Thailand before, where in Pattaya I'd pay what ends up being $26 - $30 for a freelancer, and $26 with a $6ish bar fine at the clubs.

Am I just spoilt by Pattaya? I wasn't approaching any gogo level talent, nor frankly saw it at all.

I'm all for the girls getting the best deal they can, but it just seemed like they were all sitting around waiting for the seemingly non existent customer to arrive.

What am I missing here? Are they not willing to put in the "work" as much as the Thai? Do they not need the money as much?

After reading that you could get ST for $30 I was ready to take a girl home every night of my stay, give the $10 to the bar and another $10 in drinks for myself and the girl, and probably have her back in an hour to sit around and do nothing for the rest of the night.
Prob they find you unattractive or repulsive so the tax for that is a higher price for you than for the john they like a bit more or find more attractive
Yep, the girls don’t fancy “the gig” so they price themselves out of it.
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

RafTig wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 3:13 am I'm all for the girls getting the best deal they can, but it just seemed like they were all sitting around waiting for the seemingly non existent customer to arrive.

same mentality as in cam property market, "if the guy next door can "sell" for a zillion dollars so can i"
same mentality as in other businesses "if the going is not good, "sell" at a higher price instead, so i can have more profit by selling less"
same mentality as in workers "if my friend can get a 450$ job for working 12 hours everyday, i can get a 450$ job too, sans the 12 hours"
same mentality as in tuk tuk drivers "if i can get a rip off 5$ fare for 15minutes of work, why do i need to work my ass off for 1$ fares?"
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

Chad Sexington wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:40 pm
Jerry Atrick wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:03 pm

Yep, the girls don’t fancy “the gig” so they price themselves out of it.
That was my first thought too. In my work (nothing of a sexual nature) I quote jobs all the time. Sometimes there's a job you'd rather not take on for whatever reason so you quote an outrageous price hoping they'll go elsewhere. Everyone I know does this, it's probably standard practice everywhere, I don't see why bargirls would be any different.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic