Audio system for computer

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
mikeukt
Expatriate
Great Britain

Audio system for computer

Post by mikeukt »

I’m on the lookout for an amp and speakers to play music from my computer

I’m a music lover. play MP3 from my computer. But my plug-in amp and speakers are getting old and sound quality is iffy.

Any suggestions for stores in Phnom Penh with a good selection and/or recommended models/makes.

Nothing too extravagant, a hundred dollars is the most I can go to. Cheaper is fine if the sound quality is good. As a tester for sound quality and balance, think Pink Floyd.

Any recommendations appreciated.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Audio system for computer

Post by Kammekor »

Maybe with 100$ in your pocket you're aiming a little too high for amp plus two speakers?

Do you want to use mini jack or Bluetooth? Does it have to be stereo, or would something like a JBL Flip do?

I have used recommendations from them in the past, and they've never disappointed me:
https://www.whathifi.com/best-buys/hi-f ... h-speakers
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

Ultimate Ears Megaboom 3 if you REALLY are a music lover. Maybe you can get second hand for less than 100.
work is for people who cant find truffles
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

JBL seem to be massive here, I use their speakers and am quite happy with them, but you'd already know that I guess, so you're probably looking for something more specific.

There are a lot of audiophile type shops around the central market area. I make music and get a lot of my gear from around there. Can't recommend any specific shops as I've used a few and they all seem as good as the next, but I'm sure if you just took a walk around there, you'd find what you were looking for, whether it's new or second hand.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Flexxman
Expatriate

Post by Flexxman »

xandreu wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 6:14 pm JBL seem to be massive here, I use their speakers and am quite happy with them, but you'd already know that I guess, so you're probably looking for something more specific.

There are a lot of audiophile type shops around the central market area. I make music and get a lot of my gear from around there. Can't recommend any specific shops as I've used a few and they all seem as good as the next, but I'm sure if you just took a walk around there, you'd find what you were looking for, whether it's new or second hand.
Most of the JBL stuff is just cheap chinese tat with a logo slapped on. Even Collin Abroadcast mentioned it in his video on Phnom Penh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2PTSkKME6s

Then again, good probably only is 'good enough'. From 18 years of age your hearing only detoriorates, most audiophile equipment with related pricetags are bought for status by persons who physically won't even be able to discern the differences in quality. Which is probably how they can be sold multi-thousand dollar interconnects made with oxygen free silver and similar stuff.

Like the Esoteric Grandioso turntable recenly launched with the $64,000 pricetag. On the high end that still is cheap as other comparable turntables are:

5. Transrotor Artus FMD ($150,000)
4. Audio Consulting R-evolution Meteor ($180,000)
3. Transrotor Argos ($250,000)
2. Goldmund Reference II ($300,000)
1. AV Design Haus Dereneville VPM ($650,000)

Good enough: I am using myself a set KRK Systems RP6 + RP10s subwoofer on the computer. Could not justify spending more on a set by Genelec for example.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Thanks for that valuable info, I was just about to drop a couple of million on a much inferior system made in Hong Kong.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

JBL is made in several different countries, it is still an American company. Many high end audio equipment is made in China, but the quality control is done by the company itself. JBL is far from being a “high end” audiophile piece of equipment, but they make a very good product at a reasonable price.

In fact Flexxman your KRK system is made in China.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Think of your neighbours...

mikeukt
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by mikeukt »

Thanks to everyone who replied.

Some very useful stuff. First, Xandrew, I'd asked for shops and you gave an answer, appreciated. Also Flexxman, hearing loss, tell me about it. I'm pension age so good enough is definitely good enough. That is also why $100dollors is the target limit (Kammekor), fair comment on amp plus speakers, but it's what I'm used to, old dogs new tricks? Doc, have them, use them but not comfortable for long periods. Anyway, you don't know my neighbours, for that matter, neither do I.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic