'Alexa, are you invading my privacy?' – the dark side of our voice assistants

Phones, Internet, Computers and such.
newsgatherer
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: 'Alexa, are you invading my privacy?' – the dark side of our voice assistants

Post by newsgatherer »

There is no way around this. Even my cheap Oppo has Google Assistant. A new upper class has arrived, and these are all people who have access to the daily lives of others.
techietraveller84
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: 'Alexa, are you invading my privacy?' – the dark side of our voice assistants

Post by techietraveller84 »

First off, change the wake word to something that isn't Alexa. Next, I am not particularly worried about what Amazon does with my data. It is what I pay for cheap services. There are a certain amount of regulations and privacy laws in place that I know they can't do anything too nefarious.
David Gordon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by David Gordon »

My wife asked me why I spoke so softly in the house and I told her I was afraid that Mark Zuckerberg was listening. She laughed I laughed and then Alexa laughed and Siri laughed.
Stay classy na
ali baba
Expatriate

Post by ali baba »

At one time Facebook told your friends about purchases you'd made. When an interviewer pointed out that this had spoiled many birthdays, Christmases and even proposals; Zuckerberg wouldn't accept the criticism and doubled down on it being a superior form of advertising.
Scarier than malaria.
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

techietraveller84 wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:01 am First off, change the wake word to something that isn't Alexa. Next, I am not particularly worried about what Amazon does with my data. It is what I pay for cheap services. There are a certain amount of regulations and privacy laws in place that I know they can't do anything too nefarious.
you actually pay and you give them you for no charge while they make money from it.
They make billions. This is thanks to the absolute goldmine personal data is to companies like Google. Marketing changed, sales changed, shopping changed with the development of Google, Amazon, Facebook, etc etc etc. They MAKE MONEY because they have free access to our information and this enables them to better target us to spend our money. I wonder when people will come to truly understand that and the next big shake up happens - when people DEMAND that they are paid for the information that is sucked up by these companies. They don't have to have it for free. It is our passive acceptance and ignorance that we have power to change things to our advantage if we choose that maintains their massive profits. The problem is it requires us to have willpower to cut them off from their free supply for a period of time (go on strike as it were) so we can negotiate for them to pay us.

People will laugh and think I'm deluded because that's not how things work - it works how it works when people are passive. It could be different if enough people truly 'got' it.
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Anyone that needs to talk to a computer to turn on the lights, tv etc doesn't deserve a life.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

just came in a newsletter;

Alexa users have been speculating for many years that Amazon has been using their private conversation data for ad targeting.
Alexa users are suing Amazon over claims that the voice assistant app is targeting users with ads relevant to private recordings of users’ conversations.

The central complaint. The main complaint of Alexa users is that the voice assistant is wrongly using voice recordings captured by Alexa to target ads.

“The central theory of this lawsuit is that Amazon uses Alexa voice recordings (i.e., the captured sound of a user’s voice) to serve interest-based ads to that user. In their complaint, plaintiffs conspicuously never allege facts showing that Amazon uses Alexa recordings to serve interest-based ads (because they have no good-faith basis for that allegation),” the company adds. “The complaint instead uses the intentionally vague term ‘voice data’ for the notion that certain transaction data resulting from Alexa interactions is sometimes used for advertising. Yes, it is, and Amazon widely and clearly discloses that fact.”
.....Why we care.
With cookies disappearing in 2024, privacy is at the forefront of ad platforms and advertisers' strategies to deliver relevant ads to an audience that may or may not become harder to reach. But Amazon's blatant disregard for users' personal space and private conversations goes beyond cookies and into a realm that's just plain invasive.

I'll be curious to see if Amazon is held liable for these claims and what the company does to remedy the situation as users become more aware, and intolerant of privacy abuse.
https://searchengineland.com/alexa-user ... ads-388655
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Mister Nice Guy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Mister Nice Guy »

That's your reply? You have no skills you haven't read about in a magazine.
techietraveller84
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by techietraveller84 »

atst wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:03 pm Anyone that needs to talk to a computer to turn on the lights, tv etc doesn't deserve a life.
It is nice if I can't find the remote. It is also nice for having automated lights for security.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic