Foforeign resident dies. what happens to bank account?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
mikeukt
Expatriate
Great Britain

Foforeign resident dies. what happens to bank account?

Post by mikeukt »

I have a question, which I hope someone will be able to answer.

If a foreign resident who has Cambodian bank accounts with ATM cards dies in Cambodia, will the ATM cards still be usable?

Back story, I’m in that situation (not dead, but old) got a local wife who doesn’t have any other means of getting my money except my ATM cards. Also have a kid, so want them to be able to use that money.

A little while ago I saw something on here, I think about insurance or hospitalization, where one poster said if foreigner dies, police inform bank, bank freeze account, but no more follow up on that.

Really appreciate any info.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Foforeign resident dies. what happens to bank account?

Post by Doc67 »

I understand that once the police find the cards and bank info they inform them, and the bank freezes your account. You might consider a joint account (if they exist here).

There was a thread here about making a will and the effort you have to go through, including getting it approved by a court which then seals it. It sounds a bit of a palava, but without it there is a good chance the bank keeps the lot.

Maybe have 2 accounts, one with very little in it to give to the police and keep them satisfied, and another with the real money in it. Your wife should be ready to empty that one very quickly to her own account in the event of your death. Cambodian women should be very adept at that.

The immortal line in Shawshank Redemption: "Do you trust your wife?"

If so, put it in her name now and solves all your problems.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

This is exactly as I have done.

ABA
One joint account, 1 card in her name used for daily housekeeping needs, plus my own named account with a card in my name which carries the main balance. She has authority to access both accounts in person in a bank visit. I manage it with the app.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

i have a joint account with CAB
easy to set up.

otherwise ur accounts are frozen and god help ya if you don't have legit will
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
mikeukt
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by mikeukt »

Thanks for the answers. All sounds useful. A further point, I can see police being informed that a foreigner died, but how would they know about the bank? Would the hospital concerned automatically inform them or what?
steelyRon
Expatriate

Post by steelyRon »

Joint Account will solve the problem. Most banks have a beneficiary form that you can use to assign your Cambodian wife or girlfriend the contents of your accounts when you die. Making a Cambodian Will, will allow you to transfer ownership for assets other than bank accounts. Making one is not a cheap or real easy undertaking, but worth the cost involved.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Either you give your wife/gf access to your account by giving her the pin number so that she can go and withdraw all your money when you cark it, or you open a joint account and keep the majority of your funds in there so that she has access to it when you cark it, simple.

Otherwise it's a right pain in the ass, if you're legally married in Cambodia not too bad, but if not married in Cambodia then near on impossible unless you have a legal Cambodian Will which clearly states that your partner is entitled to claim any funds you have in your bank account.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

My solution is simple, spend all your money then there is nothing to worry about. Second idea which i do is, buy a good safe and keep your money in that, along with your passport and other valuable papers. Going to be much easier for your family to break into your safe when you die than break into your bank and get the money.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:57 pm Either you give your wife/gf access to your account by giving her the pin number so that she can go and withdraw all your money when you cark it, or you open a joint account and keep the majority of your funds in there so that she has access to it when you cark it, simple.

Otherwise it's a right pain in the ass, if you're legally married in Cambodia not too bad, but if not married in Cambodia then near on impossible unless you have a legal Cambodian Will which clearly states that your partner is entitled to claim any funds you have in your bank account.
take it a step sideways
you die; no wife, no gf ,but have kids elsewhere
what a right pain in the ass for them to get ur $$
My solution is simple, spend all your money then there is nothing to worry about
tried that way, didn't die :beer3: :beer3:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
mikeukt
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by mikeukt »

Some good practical ideas for my family being able to get the cash, different bank accounts, joint accounts, a safe all of which I appreciate.

HOWEVER

The main question was Do the police automatically inform a bank and the bank freezes the accounts?

All the answers seem to assume that is what happens. I do too. But I would love to know for sure that that is the case. Other questions,How would the cops know? Only if they find an ATM card in the wallet or the hospital tells them he was paying with ABA Pay or what?

I know this is a long shot, but if anyone does know as a fact..............
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic