Cambodian Police Demolish Illegal Hostess Bar on Street 51

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Cambodian Police Demolish Illegal Hostess Bar on Street 51

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Phnom Penh, Cambodia: The Local authority in Duan Penh district demolished a foreign bar (Tilac) which built on the sidewalk without permission.

The joint committee in Duan Penh district directed by Mr Sok Penhvuth (the sub-administrator of Duan Penh district) on 29 Jan 2015 has removed the construction site on the sidewalk which has not permission and since it affected the order and the beauty of the city.

The removing of this construction site ( built on the pavement) took place after the neighbors reported it. So, the administrator of Duan Penh (Mr Khourch Chamreoun) ordered the district security to demolish it.

The official said, ( the Committee has ordered the security to removed with the presence of Ms Keo Sreyleap the lease holder from Mr Choa Yeang (the owner), in which she leased it to build a foreign bar called (Tilas) located at #48, Phsar Thmey 3, Duan Penh.

The official added, (This leasing has no leasing agreement from the hall of Phnom Penh, no permission for renovating from the authorized ministry and the leaser didn’t listen the recommendation from the local authority).

Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Re: Cambodian Police Demolish Illegal Hostess Bar on Street

Post by Soi Dog »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote:Phnom Penh, Cambodia: The Local authority in Duan Penh district demolished a foreign bar (Tilac) which built on the sidewalk without permission.

The official added, (This leasing has no leasing agreement from the hall of Phnom Penh, no permission for renovating from the authorized ministry and the leaser didn’t listen the recommendation from the local authority).
"Tilac Bar". Is that a take on the Thai phrase, usually pronounced "tee-rak", meaning darling or sweetheart...or is this also a Khmer word? I'm guessing the owner is a Pattaya transplant? Just a hunch.

Unusually swift remedial action taken by the local authorities in this case. They do seem to take their sidewalk issues seriously, which is a good thing. Trying to walk on a sidewalk in Thailand ( when they even exist) is a disaster. Shopkeepers take every inch of it, forcing people to walk in the street, where motorbikes are inevitably parked, which in turn forces people to walk close to moving traffic. I guess walking is for losers.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

I was going to guess it was a knockoff of the one in Thailand, but I have no idea.

So, is anyone in this area right now? Is it open?
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
LTO
Expatriate

Post by LTO »

This isn't the first time. Seen it happen in PP and SHV before. They've always taken this sort of thing at least semi-seriously. Given their mood and the nature of the modification, they really don't like sidewalk modifications. Also a bit reminiscent of the occasional sidewalk seating roundups on the PP riverfront and the Sihanoukville grass roof teardowns.

So was this somebody from Thailand doing this? Wouldn't be surprising.
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

Unusually swift remedial action taken by the local authorities in this case. They do seem to take their sidewalk issues seriously, which is a good thing
I hope it was not because the bar owner refused to pay the bribe. If they did took the sidewalk issues seriously, it would be fabulous. So we will have sidewalk where we can go through. :)

Trying to walk on a sidewalk in Thailand ( when they even exist) is a disaster. Shopkeepers take every inch of it, forcing people to walk in the street, where motorbikes are inevitably parked, which in turn forces people to walk close to moving traffic. I guess walking is for loser
Never been to Thailand. So, I always thought that Thailand has managed to control their sidewalk properly. I was so wrong. :(
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

LTO wrote:
So was this somebody from Thailand doing this? Wouldn't be surprising.
There definitely seems to be a more popular bar in Thailand with the same name, but not sure if they're related or not.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
NokTang
Expatriate

Post by NokTang »

What we call "a good start". I hope all hostess bars are demolished.

As for "Tilac Bar" in Thailand, there is one GoGo bar in Bangkok on Soi Cowboy(foreign tourist red light zone) by that name but I seriously doubt related to a "hostess" outfit/scam in Phnom Penh.
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Post by wackyjacky »

Soi Dog wrote:
CEOCambodiaNews wrote:Phnom Penh, Cambodia: The Local authority in Duan Penh district demolished a foreign bar (Tilac) which built on the sidewalk without permission.

"Tilac Bar". Is that a take on the Thai phrase, usually pronounced "tee-rak", meaning darling or sweetheart...or is this also a Khmer word? I'm guessing the owner is a Pattaya transplant? Just a hunch.

Unusually swift remedial action taken by the local authorities in this case. They do seem to take their sidewalk issues seriously, which is a good thing. Trying to walk on a sidewalk in Thailand ( when they even exist) is a disaster. Shopkeepers take every inch of it, forcing people to walk in the street, where motorbikes are inevitably parked, which in turn forces people to walk close to moving traffic. I guess walking is for losers.
So true. It should be "tee-rak" as rak means love, but it's 'pronounced 'Tilac' though. I never run into an 'R' over there unless I'm spitting one out. I actually get compliments from Thais for using them, but by-en-large they don't.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Police using jackhammers and sledgehammers,,, Obvious they never got their tea money or they would be paying someone to do the hard work.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Mr Curious
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Mr Curious »

bah, 3 layers of bricks and a lot of cement did not appear overnight I'm sure. If you tried that in many places you'd be up to your ears in officials before you finished mixing the first batch of cement. If they were serious they'd pay off people to inform about such sidewalk destroying moves.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic