Everything's gonna be all white

Streaming video, book reviews, movie requests and more.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Everything's gonna be all white

Post by Username Taken »

2sevensclash wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:00 pm
Kuroneko wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:19 am This was banned for being very un PC

What we need is a great big melting pot
Big enough enough enough to take
The world and all its got And keep it stirring for a hundred years or more
And turn out coffee coloured people by the score

:plus1:
I don't think that song was banned ?
It was banned in 2019. Fifty years after it was released.

From the link below:
We have reached peak insanity, total idiocy, utter gormlessness. And the reason? A flower power anthem entitled Melting Pot and composed to eradicate racism has now been banned from the radio station Gold's playlist. And the reason? It promotes racism.
---
But no, this song by Blue Mink, which was designed to call for racial harmony, is the latest to offend the perpetually offended. It contains the phrases "curly Latin kinkies" and "yellow Chinkies."
---
This song has attracted precisely one complaint but that was enough for Ofcom. It's offensive, it said, and whipped it off the playlist.

https://www.express.co.uk/comment/colum ... ics-racism

:facepalm:
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

and the Caucasian film director Quentin Tarantino
See, that article uses problematic language. Caucasian is antiquated and racist. My Chinese students frequently refer to me by that offensive word. As an enlightened Person of Whiteness, I always correct my backwards Asian students.
pootylicious
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pootylicious »

bring back the youtube downvote counter
2sevensclash
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by 2sevensclash »

I have fond memories of 1969, I was working on a building site when that song was out. It was on the radio all the time. I used to annoy some of the "adults" on the site by loudly singing the line "turn out coffee coloured people by the score" they hated the songs message.
The generation gap seemed huge when I was a teenager
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

It all reminds me of

Far too many people feeling entitled to express their outrage, who are first unable to perceive the message because all they hear are sound bites and snippets that reinforce their fractured ideas because they weren’t paying much attention in the first place.

A note of irony- the Blue Mink song being banned/restricted for promoting racism, when the message they’re singing is that there would be no racism if we were all the product of a global genetic melting pot. Coffee coloured people (I’ll get stoned now- oh, the double entendre);
An outcome that was forecast as a possible and very negative outcome by other parts of society who wrung their hands in abject misery at the very thought of losing clear racial identity.

I remember all eyes turning and looking at a new girl who joined a company that I was with in the ‘80s. She was hot, and very much in the mould of Thandie Newton (a goddess). The phrase coffee cream was uttered many times.

Even if we were all the same, there’d be people living in the cities sneering at the country bumpkins living in the sticks. There’s too much tolerance for intolerance, and not enough for common sense or respect.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic