I’m dreading the day when…

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

I’m dreading the day when…

Post by Freightdog »

To admit you ‘woke up’ this morning no longer means not being physically asleep, and instead elicits a debate on a bunch of vague pc-type issues or other topics that weren’t actually a problem.

Where we actually need a new term for they. Previously, it may have been employed as a simple method of implying either of both sexes (he/she), and now increasingly seems to mean neither of both those sexes (not-he, not-she).

Where openly admitting that someone’s child is pretty may target you as a deviant.

Where paying online services for girlfriend experiences is safer than going to a bar and being regarded as a stalker for looking twice at someone you might find attractive.

Where any of my interests are no longer tolerated socially because a very small part of society have little control over their own excesses.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Re: I’m dreading the day when…

Post by IraHayes »

people forgot the art of "minding their own business" tbh
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

I agree with @IraHayes. We, and we includes CEO, get involved too much with all kind of other people's businesses because it's all presented online these days.
For me, it's the main reason I don't use those services other than for my business.

Live and let live. One example: Calling for the cancellation of all visa for people skipping the 'health test' for a work permit while at the same time applying for your own visa through an agency... Makes me cynical.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Can't even tell an Irish joke anymore.

(I'd often wondered what jokes the Irish tell. I guess I'll never know now.)

A hypothetical trip to the future where I meet Freightdog.

Freightdog: Hey UT, did you hear the one about the Aussie who ...

UT: Racist!!! You're racist!

Freightdog: No, no. It's just a joke.

UT: Racist! Hey everyone, this guy's a racist!

Everyone: :mob: :mob: :mob: :mob: :mob:
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Username Taken wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:21 am Can't even tell an Irish joke anymore.

(I'd often wondered what jokes the Irish tell. I guess I'll never know now.)
Kerry
:wink:
Further north, the Derry girls take a hit, too. (They (someone) even made a tv comedy series, I think)
Imagine growing up with a foot in both trenches! (Irish and English)
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

One of the best things about living in Southeast Asia is that you don't really need to care about all that shit.

I'm dreading the day when I'll be forced to return home though. It might never come and I sincerely hope so...
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

Alex wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:50 pm One of the best things about living in Southeast Asia is that you don't really need to care about all that shit.

I'm dreading the day when I'll be forced to return home though. It might never come and I sincerely hope so...
Going home has its downsides for sure, but a lot of the things people make a big deal of are overblown IMO. Or maybe it depends on where you live.

I've yet to see or even hear of a situation where transgender bathrooms are a problem for example, there aren't lines of chicks with dicks perving on little girls, I doubt most bathrooms have even ever been used by transgenders, they're really not that common. In fact, I can only think of one transgender (I think/assume she is at least - maybe she's just a really manly woman) person I even encounter regularly. She's just like any other woman but uglier, she certainly doesn't cause drama wherever she goes.

Pronouns - same thing. 'This is Tiffany'... um, ok whatever, how's it going Tiffany? I suppose it must happen sometimes - Tiffany having a meltdown because someone called her 'him' but most people just don't care if someone's calling themselves Tiffany/Tony/he/she/they and again, at least in my world, it's not that common a thing to encounter transgender people and when you do you just shrug and say 'ok, whatever'. Tiffany/Tony is probably used to the confusion it must cause and generally doesn't make a scene over someone using the wrong pronoun.

The fear of being labeled a pervert is a very real thing though. No guy wants to put himself in a position where he might be accused of something he didn't do so the lack of male teachers has become a recognized problem. Kids, especially friendly, affectionate kids are seen as a threat by a lot of guys because there could always be THAT one psycho mother who tries to start the witch hunt where you're probably assumed to be guilty until proven innocent, and even then...

Jokes that 'could' be considered racist if people choose to view them that way ... choose your audience before you tell that hilarious Irish joke, some people do enjoy being outraged.
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Yobbo »

Something to ponder as I crush my plant based chicken stockcubes into a good old fashioned chicken curry;
bought the chicken tender loins on special as about 10 packets were due to expire & be thrown out.
I'm hip 8)
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

Username Taken wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:21 am Can't even tell an Irish joke anymore.
work is for people who cant find truffles
pootylicious
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pootylicious »

PC culture will be over as soon as America isn't rich enough to spread it. That's why we need Putin to win
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic