End of the world is coming to Cambodia

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
orichá
Expatriate
Canada

Re: End of the world is coming to Cambodia

Post by orichá »

What does this circus show? Strong leaders cannot arise in a country that does not permit opposition parties to flourish.

This cult leader started off as a political party leader some time ago. Apparently, he decided to go crazy. Now, he's keeping up the act to make money for himself and a handful of colleagues.

That they arrest a handful of innocent but deluded women, and not the guys inside the place collecting the cash really says something I think. A little trough for the pigs keeps them docile, lol...

:lol:

(And, climate change must be a little bit real, after all...)
~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~
“There are terrible difficulties in the notion of probability, but we may ignore them at present.” - Bertrand Russell
wolfcreek
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by wolfcreek »

Is this end of the world cult thing somehow related to the reason why the strongman recently changed his birthday?
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

UPDATE

September 20, 2022
Reality check: ‘Doomsday’ organisers say food supplies are running out
Yim Sreylin / Khmer Times
The Doomsday gathering organisers yesterday appealed to the more than 1,000 people still remaining on the farm near Kulen Mountain to leave or risk starvation.

This is because a blockade in place to prevent others from entering the farm makes it impossible for anyone to leave and return with food supplies.

The blockade only allows people to leave for their homes but prevents anyone from going back in.

In a video posted on Facebook yesterday, LDP vice-permanent president Ny Chanpinith, who is the owner of the 37-hectare farm, urged all those still gathered there to disperse because there is not enough food to support such a large crowd.
“We do not have enough food to support them or for surviving anymore. The food in stock is running out, therefore please leave or you will all starve here,” he added.

Kem Chaydy, 44, a LDP working group member, claimed yesterday that “all the people on the farm refuse to leave even though they know that they will starve to death”.
“The government claims to care about us and is very thoughtful about our welfare, yet it leaves us hungry and compels us to leave our earthly paradise,” he said.
He alleged that the government is violating their rights because they have not broken any laws and are just residing on the farm to relax.
“We will not leave, even if we are starving to death. We had better die by hunger in our paradise rather than leave and return to a chaotic community,” Chaydy noted.

Following a directive from Prime Minister HE on August 31, government security and law enforcement personnel are now preventing people from going into the farm but exits are allowed.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/501153713/ ... nning-out/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

It's when I read stories like the following that I really think the world is fuct:

Online lotion cEleBriTy alleges ‘harassment’ at Phnom Penh nightclub

Well known online saleswoman and ‘Beat The Best’ contestant Srey Saath has gone public with allegations of harassment by security guards at a leading Phnom Penh nightclub

The celebrity claims that she recently visited the nightclub with her sister.

Whilst there, she became drunk and retired to the bathroom to recuperate at 3am

However, she alleges that security guards smashed open the door of her bathroom stall after she had been resting there for 30 minutes.

The celebrity claims that guards then hustled her out of the club in a state of undress and then took her phone and deleted video evidence of the incident.

The lotion saleswoman has now offered a $10,000 reward for video evidence of the alleged incident
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/501154313/ ... nightclub/
Silence, exile, and cunning.
ofparadise
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by ofparadise »

I'm starting to believe that freedom of speech is kinda real in KH.

For a country that has a Ministry of Cults & Religion, it seems odd that they did not storm and secure the farm within the first few days.

This is a good case-study for anyone thinking of starting a cult and self governed commune, just saying.

But what are they going to do though...

They can't shoot the guy or arrest him, in case they build a temple for him in case he expires.

I think the reason they are taking the peaceful approach, is because his beliefs have convinced some in the gov's inner circles, families, etc.

Someone high up, has someone in the commune that has taken to this theory. If the top university in the country, has already been infiltrated with this ludacris ideology, Its a small leap to assume it has taken root in the elite circles as well.

However, here's what I would propose to the law enforcers.

Arrest all the dumbos. Be armed if needed, and set a precedent. Nip this in the butt and sentence those who were arrested with long sentences.

Treat this as a political uprising in it's infancy. Religious zealots tend to claw their way into politics if given the opportunity.

There is a method to this preacher's operation. He clearly has funding. He can be a problem if he's allowed to continue.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Umm… the guy is the head of a political party.

And yes, the police and other trusted powers are following him closely.

At least the last time my wife was following this story on Facebook.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Well, he admits that he got the date wrong for the coming Doomsday event- but apart from that - he is absolutely right: "the end of the world will take place shortly, but on another day."

October 6, 2022
Blundering ‘prophet’: Veasna apologises over inaccuracies in doomsday prediction
Self-styled “prophet of doom” and League for Democratic Party (LDP) president Khem Veasna yesterday for the first-time apologised to his followers for a series of blunders in providing the date of his predicted doomsday flood.

However, Veasna, who previously changed his dates several times after the event did not occur when the time came, gave them what he promised was his final prediction that “doomsday” will take place in “not more than 10 days’ time”.

He posted his new prediction on his Facebook page and apologised to all the Cambodian migrant workers who left their jobs in Japan and South Korea to join his doomsday gathering at a farmstead in Siem Reap province after he wrongly said the event would take place on August 30.

“I was wrong to invite all of my followers from Japan and South Korea to join the gathering in the farmstead as early as August by saying a disastrous flood was about to happen. I admit that I had misled people by saying it would happen in a week or two,” he said. “I was erroneous only about the moment when the devastating deluge would occur and apologise for giving the wrong dates. However, I am sure the end of the world will take place shortly but on another day.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/501163254/ ... rediction/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

I don’t think anyone with an eye on the news can brush this guys opinion that the end of the world is nigh to one side so easily.

Russia is threatening to start a nuclear war. If that doesn’t start, China is waiting to start world war three over Taiwan and if we manage to somehow survive that we have North Korea flying ballistic missiles over sovereign territory like it’s playing some sort of global game of cricket.

I do agree with him that the world will most likely come to end at some point, and it will be due to things falling from the heavens, but they are much more likely to be man made things rather than anything from the gods.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

The end of the world is a long time coming ... too long for many followers.

November 3, 2022
Doomsday believers ‘losing faith’ in Veasna
Half of the remaining 1,000 die-hard followers of Khem Veasna’s doomsday prophecy, who earlier had steadfastly refused to leave the farmstead where they had gathered, are now departing. In addition, Veasna has also acknowledged that large numbers of his followers are abandoning him.

As people leave and authorities refuse entry to the property, Veasna has instead resorted to holding gatherings outside his farmstead to continue to spread his prophecy about the end of the world.

At a gathering on Tuesday, more than 700 people attended in Preah Dak commune, Banteay Srei village to listen to Veasna.

Banteay Srei Police Chief Colonel Long Samnang said yesterday that on Tuesday, Veasna who is president of the League for Democratic Party (LDP), held a gathering to spread his doomsday message.

“Every time he has a gathering outside the farmstead, hundreds of people attend. He spreads the word about his dharma and continues to view himself as the Brahma who will save people from a devastating flood,” he said.

He added that authorities haven’t taken any action against him as gatherings are less than a day and not a repeat of the original gathering, which saw about 20,000 people gather on the property, however, officials are closely watching his activities.

“He is trying to meet people outside the farmstead, while people who reside in the farm have started to leave and almost 50% of them have departed as of yesterday,” he said.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/501178753/ ... in-veasna/

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic