coming soon

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
2sevensclash
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: coming soon

Post by 2sevensclash »

Been to Bombay loads of times I like it better than Delhi, for a week anyway. I am taking it as it comes so everything is on the table. I have not been to Benares since the 70s so maybe. One of the few places in India I have not visited is Rajastan. But I will take is as it comes but I look forward to Thailand and Cambodia.

(I have been looking at the Fairlawn Hotel in Calcutta, I couldn't afford it in the 70s we stayed in the cheap joints in those days)
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

2sevensclash wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:10 pm Been to Bombay loads of times I like it better than Delhi, for a week anyway. I am taking it as it comes so everything is on the table. I have not been to Benares since the 70s so maybe. One of the few places in India I have not visited is Rajastan. But I will take is as it comes but I look forward to Thailand and Cambodia.

(I have been looking at the Fairlawn Hotel in Calcutta, I couldn't afford it in the 70s we stayed in the cheap joints in those days)
prefer Delhi to Bombay but each has his own preferences.
Rajasthan is great to visit, Jaipur, Ajmer & Phushkar's camel festival is amazing<
75/82 i stayed in the salvation army on Sudder street but in the mid 80's, when i was doing business in Calcutta always stayed at the Fairlawn, it was like $35/night but worth it to escape India if only for high tea and the night :-)

have a great trip
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

I am currently in Bandar Abbas, Iran, in 2 days i will be in Pakistan and in a couple of weeks cross Wagah-border into India, in fact i dont know a lot of India except of course the Taj Mahal,ofcourse. Probably i will have a detour in Nepal, who knows. Anyway, i have to be in PP at X-mas-time, still long way to go !!
2sevensclash
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by 2sevensclash »

phuketrichard wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:16 am
2sevensclash wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:10 pm Been to Bombay loads of times I like it better than Delhi, for a week anyway. I am taking it as it comes so everything is on the table. I have not been to Benares since the 70s so maybe. One of the few places in India I have not visited is Rajastan. But I will take is as it comes but I look forward to Thailand and Cambodia.

prefer Delhi to Bombay but each has his own preferences.
Rajasthan is great to visit, Jaipur, Ajmer & Phushkar's camel festival is amazing<
75/82 i stayed in the salvation army on Sudder street but in the mid 80's, when i was doing business in Calcutta always stayed at the Fairlawn, it was like $35/night but worth it to escape India if only for high tea and the night :-)

have a great trip
I also stayed in the sally army place on Sudder street in early 70s, it seemed to be full of us over landers/hippies/freaks/druggies and if i remember it had "rules" which we took great delight in breaking. The Fairlawn is now about 5,500 rupees for the single room so I will probably book a room. I have to visit Rajasthan its the one of the last areas of India I haven't been.
Not sure if I have the time to do both Thailand and Cambodia , will decide when I get to Calcutta, gonna go to Rajasthan on my way back to Bombay. This will be my last long train journey in India, getting too old for it :unknown:
Grand Barong
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Grand Barong »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:07 am Might i make a suggestion as one who has travelled alot of India by Bicycle., train, flying and bus's

Forget Bombay< fly into Delhi than train to Agra, train to Varanasi- Overland up to Kathmandu Nepal, (crazy to be in that part of the world and skip Nepal) figure 7 days for Kathmandu valley, 12 if you want take in Pokhara and 4+ weeks if you really want see Nepal by trekking into the mtns, The Annapurna trek is amazing and u can walk the whole way or take jeeps and even bus's if ur time is running out
Than bus across to Siliguri and than the toy train up to Darjeeling, Back down to Calcutta fly to Bangkok

figure 2 months excluding the trekking

OR Fly into Delhi- trains across to Agra- Varanasi- Calcutta- up to Darjeeling , across to Kathmandu and fly to Bangkok

enjoy
I don't see how any of this "travel guide advice" you give relates to the OP's original question? Did I read a different question?
Some things never change it seems.. :unknown:
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Grand Barong wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:17 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:07 am Might i make a suggestion as one who has travelled alot of India by Bicycle., train, flying and bus's

Forget Bombay< fly into Delhi than train to Agra, train to Varanasi- Overland up to Kathmandu Nepal, (crazy to be in that part of the world and skip Nepal) figure 7 days for Kathmandu valley, 12 if you want take in Pokhara and 4+ weeks if you really want see Nepal by trekking into the mtns, The Annapurna trek is amazing and u can walk the whole way or take jeeps and even bus's if ur time is running out
Than bus across to Siliguri and than the toy train up to Darjeeling, Back down to Calcutta fly to Bangkok

OR Fly into Delhi- trains across to Agra- Varanasi- Calcutta- up to Darjeeling , across to Kathmandu and fly to Bangkok

enjoy
I don't see how any of this "travel guide advice" you give relates to the OP's original question? Did I read a different question?
its a forum , i merely offered a suggestion,
you fond offense in my posts , place me on ignore, dont really give a shit :please:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

John Bingham wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:32 am Bombay, Calcutta? Do you guys still think it's the days of the Raj or something?
I do still use old names and terms quite frequently and in context. Mumbai because that is how I know it professionally, but Bombay because that was what I’d learned 30years prior. I also know Indians who scoff at the name change, and still refer to it as Bombay. So why not?
Both terms are historically correct, though one was more prevalent during British rule, and so the other is favoured to reset history.

Calcutta, likewise, though It’s not that different from Kolkata.
Dhaka used to be Dacca. Curiously, political parties in some parts of the world seem a bit fragile and sensitive about names- names of places must be changed to eradicate old connections. They changed not only the airport name, but also the ICAO code for the airport.
Grand Barong
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Grand Barong »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 7:38 am
Grand Barong wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:17 pm

enjoy
its a forum , i merely offered a suggestion,
you fond offense in my posts , place me on ignore, dont really give a shit :please:
Don't be offended Richard, your off topic posting needs to be called out occasionally :whip:
It's actually a forum rule. :o
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Freightdog wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:11 am
John Bingham wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:32 am Bombay, Calcutta? Do you guys still think it's the days of the Raj or something?
I do still use old names and terms quite frequently and in context. Mumbai because that is how I know it professionally, but Bombay because that was what I’d learned 30years prior. I also know Indians who scoff at the name change, and still refer to it as Bombay. So why not?
Both terms are historically correct, though one was more prevalent during British rule, and so the other is favoured to reset history.

Dhaka used to be Dacca. Curiously, political parties in some parts of the world seem a bit fragile and sensitive about names- names of places must be changed to eradicate old connections. They changed not only the airport name, but also the ICAO code for the airport.
Just call the places by their current name. It's not that difficult. It's all very well to talk about how you took the road to Mandalay in Burma but sooner or later nobody will understand you.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

John Bingham wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:04 pm
Freightdog wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:11 am

Just call the places by their current name. It's not that difficult. It's all very well to talk about how you took the road to Mandalay in Burma but sooner or later nobody will understand you.
i heard rumours Saigon is having its name changed soon :assasin:
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic