The Curry Club

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: The Curry Club

Post by AndyKK »

hanno wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 3:26 pm I haven't been able to cook for a couple of months as the hotel was too busy. So it was a real pleasure to hit the kitchen last night.

Chicken Palak and butter Naan:

The dish looks stunning 😊
Always "hope" but never "expect".
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Typically in northern India, Saag refers to a combination of spinach and mustard greens, whereas Palak is the Hindi name for spinach. The main difference between the two is that Saag Paneer can be made with any leafy greens or a combination of greens, but, Palak refers to a curry made with spinach leaves only.

I would say that my favorite type of curry would be onion and tomato based, beef Kofta palak. The vegetable can then be lightly spiced, with the spice in cased within the kofta, so when you we're to bite in the Kofta itself you would expect a infusion of flavor.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Goodness Me! It’s Gluten Free

Post by AndyKK »

Came across this -

SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

You are still here, Andy. Such a good mate.
And we are are still going to have that chat... and those curries of course.
luvya brother
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

I wouldn't say it was the main reason, but the abundance of Indian restaurants had a little role to play in my decision to move to Phnom Penh :wink:

I will eventually eat my way through all of them but let me start with the first one I visited the day I arrived, the New Delhi on No. 237 Sisowath Quay.

The restaurant and me got off to a bit of a rocky start. The waiter was rather unfriendly and continued chatting with his buddies whilst I was trying to order. This would continue throughout the meal and he only got friendlier when I paid at the end of the meal.

Anyway, on to the food. Not that many starters so I opted for the Chicken Pakora. I accidentally threw away the receipt but I think they were around the USD 5 mark. The portion was large but zero effort at decoration and they came with a very watered-down mint sauce. The Pakora were also pretty bland and overcooked.

I had asked for the Pakora as a starter but all the food arrived at the same time. By now, I had resigned myself to having a crappy meal, but luckily the curries were pretty darn good. I had ordered a Dal, cannot remember which one, and chicken Dhansak as that is something I do not see on a menu very often. The Naan were also pretty good though I prefer the fluffier, softer versions. The curries were good enough that I will forgive the snotty waiter and the cockroach that ran across my arm as I was paying; I will certainly eat there again.

Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

hanno wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 3:03 pm I wouldn't say it was the main reason, but the abundance of Indian restaurants had a little role to play in my decision to move to Phnom Penh :wink:

I will eventually eat my way through all of them but let me start with the first one I visited the day I arrived, the New Delhi on No. 237 Sisowath Quay.

The restaurant and me got off to a bit of a rocky start. The waiter was rather unfriendly and continued chatting with his buddies whilst I was trying to order. This would continue throughout the meal and he only got friendlier when I paid at the end of the meal.

Anyway, on to the food. Not that many starters so I opted for the Chicken Pakora. I accidentally threw away the receipt but I think they were around the USD 5 mark. The portion was large but zero effort at decoration and they came with a very watered-down mint sauce. The Pakora were also pretty bland and overcooked.

I had asked for the Pakora as a starter but all the food arrived at the same time. By now, I had resigned myself to having a crappy meal, but luckily the curries were pretty darn good. I had ordered a Dal, cannot remember which one, and chicken Dhansak as that is something I do not see on a menu very often. The Naan were also pretty good though I prefer the fluffier, softer versions. The curries were good enough that I will forgive the snotty waiter and the cockroach that ran across my arm as I was paying; I will certainly eat there again.

Sher-E-Punjab on Street 130 has a good reputation, it's one of the few I go to.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/She ... 04.9288471

So too does Masala Dosa, which is vegetarian only, and that is on street 3 (by street 178)
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Mas ... 04.9307431
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Doc67 wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 3:08 pm Sher-E-Punjab on Street 130 has a good reputation, it's one of the few I go to.

So too does Masala Dosa, which is vegetarian only, and that is on street 3 (by street 178)
Thanks Doc. Sher-E-Punjab was my regular Indian restaurant years ago, Before there were what feels like 100 Indian restaurants in this town. I will certainly give it another try.

I will try the Masala Dosa though I usually must have meat with my food ;-)
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

hanno wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 3:26 pm
Doc67 wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 3:08 pm Sher-E-Punjab on Street 130 has a good reputation, it's one of the few I go to.

Thanks Doc. Sher-E-Punjab was my regular Indian restaurant years ago, Before there were what feels like 100 Indian restaurants in this town. I will certainly give it another try.

I will try the Masala Dosa though I usually must have meat with my food ;-)
I prefer idli dosa/dosa corner on 51(and 278( to masala dosa, less trendy and a little rough inside but has been here for years and is consistent.

Has meat, though not much
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Yesterday I was running a little late and I decided to order lunch to eat in the office.

I ordered from the "Coriander Indian Restaurant" as it has pretty good reviews. I was not disappointed: the food arrived very quickly and it was still super hot when it arrived (I burned my tongue). The Chicken Madras had plenty of meat in it, the Chapatis were nice and soft, and the Pulao rice was good, if a little on the dry side. There was no option to order the level of spiciness but the curry was plenty hot. I did not need the very hot chili sauce that came on the side The price was very reasonable: USD 7.65 for curry, rice and two chapatis.

Solid 4.5/5.0 and I will certainly visit the restaurant.

truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

hanno wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:14 am Yesterday I was running a little late and I decided to order lunch to eat in the office.

I ordered from the "Coriander Indian Restaurant" as it has pretty good reviews. I was not disappointed: the food arrived very quickly and it was still super hot when it arrived (I burned my tongue). The Chicken Madras had plenty of meat in it, the Chapatis were nice and soft, and the Pulao rice was good, if a little on the dry side. There was no option to order the level of spiciness but the curry was plenty hot. I did not need the very hot chili sauce that came on the side The price was very reasonable: USD 7.65 for curry, rice and two chapatis.

Solid 4.5/5.0 and I will certainly visit the restaurant.

cant dispute the taste...but it looks horrible. Unfortunately no pic of the rice and the curry.
work is for people who cant find truffles
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic