Visit from the Immigration Police (I think)

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Visit from the Immigration Police (I think)

Post by xandreu »

A Khmer friend of mine was at my apartment a few days ago while I was out at work. He told me that there was a knock at the door. As it is not his apartment, he decided not to answer the door, but he said they kept knocking for a good five minutes, so he eventually decided to open the door.

He said there were two official looking people standing there with ID cards around their necks. As he is clearly Khmer, they asked him if there was a foreigner living here. He said that there was but that I was not there. I was at work. They asked if they could see my passport. He told them that he doesn't live here, he doesn't know where I keep my passport, and he wasn't prepared to go looking through my personal belongings looking for it. With that, they said okay, and he closed the door, without actually asking them who they were. He said he was quite sure but they moved on to the adjacent apartments, but couldn't be 100% certain.

He immediately messaged me to tell me about it. Clearly, I was a little concerned as to who they were and what they wanted. I was a little annoyed that he didn't even ask them who they were, but I guess that's just the Khmer way sometimes.

I contacted my landlord to ask if he had any idea who they could've possibly been. He said that they were probably the immigration police, and that they come around usually once a year, sometimes twice.

My apartment is usually empty during the day as I am usually at work. It just so happened that my friend was there on that day. If they come back again, or continue to come back, it's very unlikely that I'm ever going to be home. Especially during the week, and during office hours.

I was just wondering, what happens now? If they keep coming to my apartment, and I'm never there, do they just forget about it? All of my documents are up-to-date, I'm on the FCPS app which is all up to date and in order, and I have nothing to hide or worry about in that regard, I just wonder what they do if they're unable to contact foreigners they want to check? It wouldn't be hard for them to find out where I work. Are they likely to come to my workplace? - Not that that would be a problem.

Anhyone else had this issue?
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Visit from the Immigration Police (I think)

Post by John Bingham »

I had five of them turn up earlier in the year even though my landlady is well connected and all her sons work in various government branches. I knew they were coming, because they twice tried to organize a meeting during my office hours. I made it clear what hours would work and they said Saturday evening was good. Lo and behold I'm out grabbing an ice coffee nearby early on Saturday morning just before a trip to the boondocks and on my way back they are onto me. I tried to deal with it at the gate but they said they needed a desk
So they left heavy bottle green guy outside and the big hats came upstairs. The immigration police were trying to make a big deal of it even though all my paperwork was in order. I didn't really take them so seriously. When they were leaving they mumbled some pathetic nonsense about coffee so I pointed at the 2000 Riel one I had just bought and offered them the measly 20,000 I had in my wallet. They probably felt sorry for me because they didn't take it. Thank fuck I didn't have a big wedge on me that morning. I had a lovely day.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Thanks. Any suggestion as to what I should do, if anything? Just forget about it unless they come back and I'm actually here?
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Nothing to worry about, standard practice. They just want to ensure you are residing legally in Cambodia, no need to go chasing after them, if they are diligent they'll catch up with you one day, otherwise they'll just move on.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

xandreu wrote:Thanks. Any suggestion as to what I should do, if anything? Just forget about it unless they come back and I'm actually here?
It’s their problem, not yours.
Not worth worrying about.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic