ACE School's Michael Strahan (Teacher Michael in Cambodia) Admits to Grooming Underage Student in Cambodia

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
violet
Expatriate

Re: ACE School's Michael Strahan (Teacher Michael in Cambodia) Admits to Grooming Underage Student in Cambodia

Post by violet »

NotYourUncle wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:30 pm
violet wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:52 pm I take umbrage with posts directed at a regular poster that seem to be implying something unsavoury about the poster’s character. Pull your heads in
Fair enough, but 90% of his posts in this thread have been absolute BS, many of which almost sympathise with a guy who admitted to grooming his students.

I'll wind my neck in when you grow a brain
Not diving in on the fight does not equal being almost sympathetic. I read reasoned restraint. I can understand why you and your buddy don’t recognise it and mislabel it.
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: ACE School's Michael Strahan (Teacher Michael in Cambodia) Admits to Grooming Underage Student in Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

@CaptainCanuck @NotYourUncle tread carefully as the tone of your last couple of posts is not warranted. Discuss the issue rather than passing judgment on personalities or opinions.
CaptainCanuck
Expatriate
Canada

Post by CaptainCanuck »

Clutch Cargo wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:46 pm @CaptainCanuck @NotYourUncle tread carefully as the tone of your last couple of posts is not warranted. Discuss the issue rather than passing judgment on personalities or opinions.
Yes sir, frustration boil has been lanced.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

If sex education has to be PC, and cater to everyone, I'm glad we didn't have the subject when I was at school. I would have been truant a lot more.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

At the risk of sounding like I'm defending his actions, which I'm certainly not - I agree that what he did was despicable and he certainly abused his position of trust - I do wonder if the headline of this thread is entirely accurate.

If the student was 17 at the time, and the age of consent in Cambodia is 15 as I've heard some claim (I'm not sure what the AOC in Cambodia is to be honest), then is it entirely accurate to claim that he 'groomed an underage student'? Or are we looking more at a Prince Andrew type of situation where, whilst it was legal for his accuser to have sex, as she was technically over the age of consent, because there were gifts and money involved, it turned it more into a case of soliciting someone for sex, which in most countries, has a higher age threshold than simply consenting to have sex, typically 18?

If that's the case, given the fact that he offered the student money in return for sex, (or at least implied it) I wonder if the title should be that he solicited an underage student in Cambodia, rather than 'groomed' them.

You might think, 'why does it matter?' but I just feel that, again, I'm not defending him in the slightest, but I just think it's a little silly to think that a typical 17 year old can be 'groomed' in the same way a child can. Surely we should be saving words like that for the real child abusers. By using it in cases like this, it feels to me as if it cheapens, or lessens the impact of actions of real child abusers.

It seems to me that the two crimes he committed were 1 - He abused his position of trust as a teacher and 2 - He attempted to solicit someone for sex who was under the age of adult responsibility, assuming that age is 18 in Cambodia.

i have no idea what Cambodian laws are or what they say about the legal age of these things to be honest, and I'm basing my assumptions on general laws of western countries, but to my mind, saying that he 'groomed an underage student for sex' implies that he was grooming children, which clearly he wasn't.

Again, that doesn't let him off the hook, and he deserves everything he gets in response, if only to deter other foreigners here who might think that having that kind of relationship with their students is somehow tolerated here.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

I’d second much of what Xandreu has mentioned above, but might suggest that it goes a step further-

The situation is quite clearly an abuse of position- Teacher/student, position of trust, etc. As commented by several posters.

Has he (teacher) actually admitted to grooming? If that were the case, then there’s a fair amount of legal issues he’ll be facing. If he hasn’t actually admitted it, then the thread title probably should be reworded appropriately.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

My (personal) view is that the whole thing is yuck because of the teacher-student relationships - and teachers should not be putting students in a situation where there are sexual connotations - whatever their ages.
@ Some Teachers: Just grow up and form a relationship with other adults. :BangHead:
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

From the Khmer view. Not the expat echo chamber.

Missus was shocked he fled to Malaysia.

The man is a bit of a local celebrity on FB.

He’s seen with many celebrities and notable people.

Was in a Khmer show feature Barangs all speaking Khmer.

Entertaining.

Does that excuse his actions? Of course not.

Just a different point of view.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Freightdog wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:01 pm
The situation is quite clearly an abuse of position- Teacher/student, position of trust, etc. As commented by several posters.
I was going to quote Xandreu as well but didn't to keep the post shorter.

Anyway.
A nice definition of grooming from Wikipedia
Child grooming is befriending and establishing an emotional connection with a minor,[1][2] and sometimes the child's family, to lower the child's inhibitions with the objective of sexual abuse

Now while we can pick the fly shit out of the pepper over some stuff he clearly befriended and established an emotional connection with the intent of pursuing a sexual relationship.
While he was the boys teacher! everything else is irrelevant.

A positive teacher-student relationship is crucial to the overall success of the student
from https://www.winginstitute.org/soft-skil ... %20student.
Research supports the importance of positive teacher-student relationships. Teachers foster positive bonds with students by creating a constructive classroom climate, treating students with respect, having high expectations for all students, and maximizing success for each student.
But, let's face it. He not only smudged the line... he leapt so far over it that he landed in Kuala Lumpur.

edited to shorten FDs quote to just the relevant line
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

newkidontheblock wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:14 pm From the Khmer view. Not the expat echo chamber.

Missus was shocked he fled to Malaysia.

The man is a bit of a local celebrity on FB.

He’s seen with many celebrities and notable people.

Was in a Khmer show feature Barangs all speaking Khmer.

Entertaining.

Does that excuse his actions? Of course not.

Just a different point of view.
I don't get it, what is your point of view besides pointing out the obvious? As for expat echo chambers, I spend more time communicating with Khmers in one week than you have in your whole life. What one isolated Khmer in the US repeats from Facebook doesn't really count for much.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic