Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha suspended

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha suspended

Post by sigmoid »

Darkcel wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 1:31 pm Seriously praying for the expats and locals there

A violent time is coming and you still have time to escape before it happens, think of Myanmar but worse

Yes, I used to post similar warnings about leaving Thailand on this forum a few years ago before the virus thing and was generally ridiculed.

However, it's difficult to see how a violent conflict can be avoided there.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Spigzy wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 5:38 pm Isn't it about time for another coup?
Might rethink my trip in that case.

(Weak yen is another factor tbh.)
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

cant wait to move back
...A violent time is coming and you still have time to escape before it happens, think of Myanmar but worse
Coups dont really effect farangs, ( lived thru 3 of them) unless ur accidentally in the middle of it in Bangkok

Thai military is not nearly as wacko as the Junta in Burma and have yet to see or read of any problems country wide during any coup, that come close to what Burma is experiencing

a good read from 2014

The coup is necessary to avoid the escalation of the political conflict to the point of bloody confrontations, but what is more important is that all the economic policies remain about the same, says Mr Boontuck Wungcharoen. PHOTO: AP
Well, I think the message to the international community is, even with the coup, Thai economic policy remains unchanged. And in the past three decades, we have had 12 coups and, as it’s proven statistically, the coup in a sense has … very little or no effect on the growth of the economy at all. And for the Thai people, I think we embrace democracy and we are still learning. I think democracy is not simply elections. I think we have to create a stronger culture of accountability, respect the right of other people and the opinions even if they are different from ours. And I think what is most important is the strong sense of responsibility to the communities.
https://www.todayonline.com/world/asia/ ... mic-growth
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

For crying out loud guys as the old saying goes “if you do nothing wrong why afraid of darkness?”

If you apply your visa illegally and went through shortcuts you have every reason to be afraid, if you are working here and don’t pay your taxes you have reason to be afraid of, if you overstay again you have every reason to be afraid of. This is not only in Thailand but everywhere! Why are there so many fucked up people who try to go around the rules?

In my 17 years here in Thailand I’ve never, NEVER, at any one time been in a fucked up situation as a matter of fact I always feel the Thai law protects me and my family.

Come what may, coup after coup it doesn’t concern me as a foreigner. I don’t have to be afraid, My family don’t have to fear. Live goes on.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Darkcel wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 1:31 pm Seriously praying for the expats and locals there

A violent time is coming and you still have time to escape before it happens, think of Myanmar but worse
If I had listened to people like you, I would have escaped in 2010 and missed 12 great years in Thailand. Sure, things could get really bad, but what's the likelihood? Hard to say!

It's not just politics either. Some resident foreigners escaped Thailand at the beginning of the pandemic, fully expecting anarchy and mayhem. When in fact that turned out to be the very best time for expats in recent years.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

Normal service resumed, Prayut reinstated until 2025 by the Constitutional Court. If anything it will probably harden opposition and lead to an even bigger defeat at the polls, however I daresay the powers that be will ensure the democratic views of the majority will never prevail.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

I am staying put not going anywhere. The moment when there's violence, fire and destructions I will be selling more screws. Watch me!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic