Is it just me?

Phones, Internet, Computers and such.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Re: Is it just me?

Post by OrangeDragon »

yeah i hardly use the mobile version anymore, mostly because my current temp android phone is a slow piece of shit. but the PC version has changed to a new format that is suuuper crappy. i can click the link for the map, then go make a sandwhich and probably eat most of it before it's done loading the map.

useless.

maybe it's time to check out what bing has in the way of maps...
giblet
Expatriate

Post by giblet »

There have been so many problems with Google Maps in Cambodia and I'm not sure which of the problems are just general Maps problems and which of them are specific to Cambodia. They were having difficulties loading the correct street names in Phnom Penh and then once they fixed it, when they did an update it reverted back to the missing names.

On my desktop version, it centers my map on my parent's address despite me having entered my home and work address. I don't know where they got my parent's address from, probably an order on Google Wallet five years ago. Really annoying.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

General Mackevili wrote:I just wish they'd bring back the "distance" tool.

You could just tap from place to place and it would show you the distance.

Great on trips
I've been complaining about that since it disappeared. What a bunch of retards. Having a distance tool is the most basic of things a map needs. They also changed all the provincial names a few months ago for some reason. Changed to names which I've never heard ANYWHERE. Unbelievable...
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
giblet
Expatriate

Post by giblet »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:I've been complaining about that since it disappeared. What a bunch of retards. Having a distance tool is the most basic of things a map needs. They also changed all the provincial names a few months ago for some reason. Changed to names which I've never heard ANYWHERE. Unbelievable...
Not sure if this happened for the same reason, but there is a very active group of Khmer map enthusiasts. Some do a lot of changes based on what they think are more accurate translations of Khmer names. For example, they had a big argument over the spelling of Orussey Market, which one user thought should be Aurussei Market.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

No... At one point all the cities had changed. Kampong thom was completely replaced by "krong stung saen", battambang had completely disappeared etc. They've now reappeared, but with French spelling/accents (which actually do reflect a more accurate pronunciation). Either way, the new spellings wouldn't help any non-French speakers pronounce the words...
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
giblet
Expatriate

Post by giblet »

You can get involved and change the spellings yourself at http://mapmaker.google.com. I only do it when I am particularly outraged.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

If you guys have never seen/used it, check out OpenStreetMaps. Very cool open source project.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic