Minivans with the rear open. Dangerous?

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Minivans with the rear open. Dangerous?

Post by mannanman »

Years ago back home I left the tailgate open on my gas car. I could smell the fumes from the exhaust and at the end of the journey my head was pounding. Recently my family came back from the province in a minvan (no taxis) and all looked like shit and had headaches. That van also had the rear open, as most do.

I know they are diesel but I am guessing you will still get fumes sucking back into the cabin, especially at low speeds.

So is it an issue for people crammed into a minivan (or car taxi) with the rear open, anyone done it?

Carbon monoxide poisoning?
People of the world, spice up your life.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Minivans with the rear open. Dangerous?

Post by Kammekor »

mannanman wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:36 am Years ago back home I left the tailgate open on my gas car. I could smell the fumes from the exhaust and at the end of the journey my head was pounding. Recently my family came back from the province in a minvan (no taxis) and all looked like shit and had headaches. That van also had the rear open, as most do.

I know they are diesel but I am guessing you will still get fumes sucking back into the cabin, especially at low speeds.

So is it an issue for people crammed into a minivan (or car taxi) with the rear open, anyone done it?

Carbon monoxide poisoning?
Most of those vans have no working AC so some of the windows will be open as well. As soon the van speeds up there will be a 'fresh breeze'. The odds of CO-poisoning will be very low. Still a bad habit though, just like the vans carrying large wooden furniture on the rack on the back covering the rear lights. Those will have the tailgate closed though.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic