Best Method to Transfer money to Cambodia

Whether you're a working stiff or a business owner yourself, this is the place to discuss all aspects of financing your drinking habit ;-)

NO BUSINESS SALES HERE PLEASE, WE HAVE A SECTION FOR THAT IN THE CLASSIFIEDS.
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Re: Best Method to Transfer money to Cambodia

Post by TWY »

Diablo wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:29 pm Hi Folks,

I'm just wondering what is the most cost effective and easy way to transfer money monthly from an Irish bank account (Im paid there and in Euro) to a Cambodian account (i have opened an ABA account) i will be transferring between 1000 and 1500 euro a month here. Your advice would be great. TIA.
--------------

If its only $1000-$1500 why not just use your atm card and withdraw the money and then deposit into ABA? Many cards will refund $10 or so of ATM fees per month.
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

refunds are great but even without a refund the ATM withdrawel would cost less than any kind of transfer between 2 banks ..
and yea , its not a very big amount - no need fora transfer
but it seems diablo has left the building . or forgot thier login details
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

pissontheroof wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:39 pm refunds are great but even without a refund the ATM withdrawel would cost less than any kind of transfer between 2 banks ..
and yea , its not a very big amount - no need fora transfer
but it seems diablo has left the building . or forgot thier login details
ATM withdrawals are fine if you're here for a week or two, maybe a month.

When staying longer, a one time SWIFT transfer is beating the hell out of ATM costs.
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

That’s great if you don’t need that money every month and can let it build up there ,
The OP said he got money there every month and wants to get it here every month .
You wouldn’t normally transfer $1500 , isnot economical
I get paid monthly , I could easily leave it there and build up the intrest , but it’s in a account that gets NO intrest
( it’s a checking account that my pension goes to ). Sooooo
I take it out every month and deposit to my cambrodia acct. that gets intrest .
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

pissontheroof wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:27 pm That’s great if you don’t need that money every month and can let it build up there ,
The OP said he got money there every month and wants to get it here every month .
You wouldn’t normally transfer $1500 , isnot economical
I get paid monthly , I could easily leave it there and build up the intrest , but it’s in a account that gets NO intrest
( it’s a checking account that my pension goes to ). Sooooo
I take it out every month and deposit to my cambrodia acct. that gets intrest .
No matter what way you transfer you would lose around $60 (from UK) whether that be on 1k or 20k

I would be surprised if you could make that much a month on 1.5k in a normal account ( assuming the op doesn't have that much disposable income they're not gonna be putting it into a TD)

$60 on 5k isn't too bad. if you want to transfer it, try to do less often, 3/4 times let year.

If it is your spending money, get a good currency card and use ATMs, will cost you about $20 plus a month slightly worse FX (assuming you get 500 a time minimum). Check the fees on the currency cards if you can find one at €1-2 per transaction that wouldnt be bad, plus the $7 or so at this end

Personally, I'd begrudge paying 4% on a transfer
Oumedc
Expatriate

Post by Oumedc »

Oumedc wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:56 pm

I'm just wondering what is the most cost effective and easy way to transfer money monthly from an Irish bank account (Im paid there and in Euro) to a Cambodian account (i have opened an ABA account) i will be transferring between 1000 and 1500 euro a month here. Your advice would be great. TIA.
Xoom.com.ship to your self collect in aba account
Less than 5 min money in hand and you can set up through PayPal.. It's very very good
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

Oumedc wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:19 pm

Less than 5 min money in hand and you can set up through PayPal.. It's very very good
Exchange rates are not good though. Transferwise would still work out cheaper, even with the intra bank fees. And ATM fees better too with a good currency card

Any intra bank with Xoom? I assume not
Oumedc
Expatriate

Post by Oumedc »

cautious colin wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:22 pm

Exchange rates are not good though. Transferwise would still work out cheaper, even with the intra bank fees. And ATM fees better too with a good currency card

Bolocks it cost 13 usd to send 1000 usd cash in hand with zoom
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

cautious colin wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:49 pm No matter what way you transfer you would lose around $60 (from UK) whether that be on 1k or 20k

I would be surprised if you could make that much a month on 1.5k in a normal account ( assuming the op doesn't have that much disposable income they're not gonna be putting it into a TD)

$60 on 5k isn't too bad. if you want to transfer it, try to do less often, 3/4 times let year.

If it is your spending money, get a good currency card and use ATMs, will cost you about $20 plus a month slightly worse FX (assuming you get 500 a time minimum). Check the fees on the currency cards if you can find one at €1-2 per transaction that wouldnt be bad, plus the $7 or so at this end

Personally, I'd begrudge paying 4% on a transfer
dont know what you’re dreaming about ,
sounds like your not gettin it
the ATM on this end costs $5
on my other end its 5 more bucks ( $ )
so $10 for me aint spensive at all , i sent some $$ back to USA by westerd union cost boocoup buckeroos
dont know what it cost to withdraw your own money wherever you’re from
or in ireland ..
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

Oumedc wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:06 pm
cautious colin wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:22 pm

Bolocks it cost 13 usd to send 1000 usd cash in hand with zoom
What would the rate be? Not everything is about the fees.

1500 on Xoom website is 1406.85$ plus €5 fee (so 1505 is 1406.85) rate = 0.934

1500 on wise gets $1430. Less $25 intra bank (so 1500 is 1405 )

Fees on wise more, but much better rate.

So not bollocks.

A good currency card with give you very close to the mid rate too

Any more than 1500 and the gap increases, hence saying fewer transactions at bigger amounts makes more sense
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic