It happened; RIP AndyKK

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Re: It could just happen

Post by newkidontheblock »

Sorry all this has happened to you.

I am almost 10,000 miles away (many members are), so physically helping is impossible. Finding someone to translate complex medical Khmer into plain English isn’t so easy. Unfortunately there are no personal oxygen concentrators for sale in Cambodia to help you leave the hospital sooner.

Thank goodness, there are kind hearts like RozzieOz.

HIV does explain a lot. HIV by itself can cause weight loss. PCP Pneumonia is a late opportunistic disease, like Kaposis Sarcoma.

Please get better soon and return to Britain for advanced HIV care. Modern treatments can often push the virus into the undetectable range, as well as control many of the opportunistic infections, and effects from HIV itself.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

AndyKK wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:04 pm I suspect I have been subject to similar situation due to it being a common problem in Cambodia due to poor medical conditions (unclean needles).
Whose unclean needles? It's not fair to blame the health system for junkie business. 8-)
Silence, exile, and cunning.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

John Bingham wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:54 pm
AndyKK wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:04 pm I suspect I have been subject to similar situation due to it being a common problem in Cambodia due to poor medical conditions (unclean needles).
Whose unclean needles? It's not fair to blame the health system for junkie business. 8-)
John there's no junkie business on my behalf or my late partners. I had Nak tested before and after she had gone to a new place for treatment, hospital and clinics, Mersey Hope Hospital actually did the blood tests for Nak at the time.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Had a set back this morning, the normal flow of oxygen was not enough for me, so a bit of a change around, it was explained to me by the doctor that some of the new medication is very strong and hard to take for some. So they want to give me some additional IV meds over 2 days.
simon43
Expatriate
Laos

Post by simon43 »

AndyKK wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:04 pm
violet wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:56 am A link for information on bedsores xx

https://www.suvitas.com/services/bedsore-management/
Okay now I can speak of the other problem now it's been confirmed and it is now being treated, I also understand the doctor about the virus in the blood, my late partner was in the same situation, because I had her tested from one hospital to the next, she came in contact when she had fluid drained from her liver. I suspect I have been subject to similar situation due to it being a common problem in
Cambodia due to poor medical conditions (unclean needles).
So I have unfortunately HIV, I will have blood tests in, ten days time to assess updates of the situation, mainly the situation of the virus, if it has gone the doctor will do the necessary paperwork to allow me to travel and be allowed into my own country.
Hi, this post raises red flags for me, because I cared closely for my 18 year old Thai niece a few months ago who had HIV and tuberculosis, an opportunistic lung disease often present in those with HIV. Her outcome was not good :(

The primary reason why was because the HIV medication was too strong for her weakened body. So it is very important that you eat healthy food and also a lot of (perhaps) unhealthy food, to build up your body weight, strength and immune system. My niece was being fed with nutella, peanuts etc, as much as possible to increase her body weight, as well as high-vitamin milk, protein drinks etc. Live yogurt for healthy gut bacteria and try to deep breath every day (I have aspergillosis - fungal spores in my lungs - for 25 years, and I found that deep breathing improves the strength and health of my lungs). I know perhaps that you just want to lie in bed and rest, but IMHO you need to push yourself to walk/crawl a few steps, deep breath, collapse in bed, and then do it again...
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

simon43 wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:52 pm

Okay now I can speak of the other problem now it's been confirmed and it is now being treated, I also understand the doctor about the virus in the blood, my late partner was in the same situation, because I had her tested from one hospital to the next, she came in contact when she had fluid drained from her liver. I suspect I have been subject to similar situation due to it being a common problem in
So I have unfortunately HIV, I will have blood tests in, ten days time to assess updates of the situation, mainly the situation of the virus, if it has gone the doctor will do the necessary paperwork to allow me to travel and be allowed into my own country.
Hi, this post raises red flags for me, because I cared closely for my 18 year old Thai niece a few months ago who had HIV and tuberculosis, an opportunistic lung disease often present in those with HIV. Her outcome was not good :(

The primary reason why was because the HIV medication was too strong for her weakened body. So it is very important that you eat healthy food and also a lot of (perhaps) unhealthy food, to build up your body weight, strength and immune system. My niece was being fed with nutella, peanuts etc, as much as possible to increase her body weight, as well as high-vitamin milk, protein drinks etc. Live yogurt for healthy gut bacteria and try to deep breath every day (I have aspergillosis - fungal spores in my lungs - for 25 years, and I found that deep breathing improves the strength and health of my lungs). I know perhaps that you just want to lie in bed and rest, but IMHO you need to push yourself to walk/crawl a few steps, deep breath, collapse in bed, and then do it again...
all good advice but Andy cant move at all, his legs dont work

its the HIV and his immune system being compromised, that has led to the phenomena being so debilitating.
they cant treat the hiv till the phenomena is cured
catch 22
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

Pneumonia is scary
So sorry I can’t help in any way x
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
simon43
Expatriate
Laos

Post by simon43 »

phuketrichard wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:10 pm
simon43 wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:52 pm

all good advice but Andy cant move at all, his legs dont work

its the HIV and his immune system being compromised, that has led to the phenomena being so debilitating.
they cant treat the hiv till the phenomena is cured
catch 22
How long ago do you think you contracted the HIV virus? Because unless it was at least a few years ago, it's unlikely that the virus has compromised your immune system by now - it typically takes 5 years of being HIV positive before the virus starts to weaken your immune system. If you became HIV positive in the last year or so, then IMHO (and using my experience of my Thai niece), it's unlikely that the HIV has weakened your immune system YET, and so antiviral treatment is not urgent. Perhaps your general health wasn't good (smoking? drinking? eating like a lard-bucket?), and so your immune system was not strong and along came pneumonia....
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Not wishing to sound insensitive, so apologies if it feels that way.

You say that Nak had been tested. However, based on our own family experiences in the last 2 years it would not surprise me if any testing was either not competently run, or not recorded correctly. SWMBOs niece died as a result of a complete misdiagnosis, supported by diagnostic scans which were clearly for a healthy person (a western doctor’s later assessment, and seconded by a different lab who ran new scans). By the time that I was able to get back into the country (covid era), and get the girl to a competent doctor the poor girl had degenerated from what was possibly an infection a year before, to full renal failure, having been on multiple antibiotics for nearly 6 months, and heart related medicines which in the opinion of the western Doc were exactly the opposite of what was needed and actually harmful for someone with any renal complications.
This level of inconsistent medical care is all to frequent.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

I have had 2 western doctors visit me twice up to now both from Mercy Hope hospital. They confirmed I was getting the correct treatment, and the medicine we buy is very good.
Locked Previous topicNext topic