Khmer table manners

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Khmer table manners

Post by BklynBoy »

Unsure if because I am friends with his son but I had bag of medcine and other products. I was showing it to a 3rd person and the friend's father ( who i know) came over and opened the bag and just started going thru what I had.

Is that about personal space? being nosy? I mean the guy literally opened the bag to see what I was showing another person and asked what the items are for. I even let him have one of the items-- it was for athletes foot
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

BklynBoy wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:58 pm Unsure if because I am friends with his son but I had bag of medcine and other products. I was showing it to a 3rd person and the friend's father ( who i know) came over and opened the bag and just started going thru what I had.

Is that about personal space? being nosy? I mean the guy literally opened the bag to see what I was showing another person and asked what the items are for. I even let him have one of the items-- it was for athletes foot
He was just being overprotective, he probably thought you were giving his kid narcotics like guys from NYC are famous for doing.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

John Bingham wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:31 pm
BklynBoy wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:58 pm Unsure if because I am friends with his son but I had bag of medcine and other products. I was showing it to a 3rd person and the friend's father ( who i know) came over and opened the bag and just started going thru what I had.

He was just being overprotective, he probably thought you were giving his kid narcotics like guys from NYC are famous for doing.
hahah ... Maybe i didn't explain correctly. I was with another friend.. Not his son. I had a plastic bag of items from the pharmacy and he waltzed over and basically went thru the bag asking what each item was. I suppose if he didn't know me, he wouldnt do that-- so that plays a part but still to actually go my shit.

fyi- i keep my other drugs separate .lol
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Yeah, wandering around distributing pharmaceuticals of dubious provenance is never a good look.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

it wasnt like that.. omg.. but i see the funny in it.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

They start at a young age, Naks niece -

:D
Always "hope" but never "expect".
ressl
Expatriate
Germany

Post by ressl »

I have to admit, that the noise making while chewing is one of the few things that drive me crazy here. Regardless on what rank, status or level they are, they all doing this and even if you are in an upperclass restaurant. I prefer the roadside stalls, because most of the time the noise of the traffic is sufficient to cancel our that
Driving on Cambodian roads is just like playing a classic arcade top scroller. The only difference is a force feedback controller, the limitation to only one life and the inability to restart, once Game Over
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

If you open your mouth whilst masticating it tastes better.
People of the world, spice up your life.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic