US & the holocaust

Streaming video, book reviews, movie requests and more.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: US & the holocaust

Post by Big Daikon »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:26 am I compare Lindbergh ( America First Committee) with Trump,( make America great)
As an American non-interventionist, I agree.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

BklynBoy wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:00 pm
John Bingham wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:35 pm I had some German Nazi relations, they ended up in the US after the war. They did okay.
Curious about how you found that out regarding your family. Open secret? they were ok talking about it with you/your family?

I assumed for the most part the Nazi/German people who fled kept quiet about that sort of thing.
It wasn't really a secret but not something we boasted about either. My mom's aunt married a German. He was sent over to Ireland to spy. He was a fucking idiot. He was supposed to set up a transmitter in the mountains but it was dull there and there wasn't much philandering to be done. So he set up in the city instead. He got my grandfather to buy him a car with counterfeit money. It was a flashy Cadillac which you could imagine stood out a bit in wartime Dublin. He was caught very quickly and spent the rest of the war in detention at the Curragh military base. British and German prisoners were allowed out at weekends and would go to the local pub together. While Ireland was ostensibly neutral the British prisoners were sneaked back to the UK via Northern Ireland. There's a book about the German spies in Ireland, they were all total idiots and all got caught.
The guy's son visited us from the US at the same time I was over about 6 years ago. He had been a NASA engineer. He was spending his retirement traveling the world with his new Filipino wife, but he was an extremely boring chap.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

A friend wrote me today asking where he could watch the doc:
i was able to download ( luckily) and watch the doc, now it seems it s no longer on Pirate bay,
No longer at https://www.pbs.org/kenburns/us-and-the-holocaust/ (We're sorry, but this video is not available.)
on another site; Currently not available to stream.
even the trailer is

I wonder who pulled it off everywhere??

good read;
https://www.theatlantic.com/culture/arc ... ew/671455/

Once war broke out, saving Jews in Europe, even in the limited ways possible, wasn’t merely a low priority; it was not what voters wanted. As one historian in the film notes, “The War Department doesn’t want the soldiers to know much about the persecution of the Jews, because they’re worried they won’t fight hard if they think they’re secretly being sent to save the Jews.” That omission was not a delicate balancing of policy goals. It was an elected government respecting majority sentiment.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

BklynBoy wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:00 pm
John Bingham wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:35 pm I had some German Nazi relations, they ended up in the US after the war. They did okay.
Curious about how you found that out regarding your family. Open secret? they were ok talking about it with you/your family?

I assumed for the most part the Nazi/German people who fled kept quiet about that sort of thing.
I think you'd be right mostly. Certainly the case with John Demjanjuk accused of being 'Ivan the Terrible' although I think it was never proven one way or the other. Recommended viewing this 5 episode documentary: post379216.html#p379216
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 3:04 pm It was an elected government respecting majority sentiment.
An elected government respecting the majority of the voting public? How horrible!

Back to the issue.

Good interview with Reason:

More fear mongering from Mr. Burns:

"Pernicious immigration laws", "saving democracy", etc. (Retching noises)
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

The Abwehr was the Nazi arm responsible for spying and espionage. Unlike the British SOE and American OSS (which took the best and brightest and extensively trained them), it was the hated step child organization. Spying and espionage were considered beneath German ideals. As a result, even criminals were recruited.

Average criminals make lousy spies and saboteurs.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Yeah, like I tried to say these guys were morons.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic