No blank pages

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: No blank pages

Post by Doc67 »

Spigzy wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:14 pm Those old Cambodian visa pages are usually glued so badly and the stamp doesn't spread on to the page so you could potentially "accidentally" let an old one, ahem, disappear if the underlying page looks as good as new. It crossed my mind when I had to glue my old visas back into my passport that it would be very easy to free up a page if I needed to. I never did mind you, and I'm sure there's a raft of reasons why you shouldn't, but, but..
I'm need to apply for a new passport next week and I'm going for the extra page option. It must be very annoying to have to replace a 7 year old passport due to lack of pages.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Spigzy wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:14 pm Those old Cambodian visa pages are usually glued so badly and the stamp doesn't spread on to the page so you could potentially "accidentally" let an old one, ahem, disappear if the underlying page looks as good as new. It crossed my mind when I had to glue my old visas back into my passport that it would be very easy to free up a page if I needed to. I never did mind you, and I'm sure there's a raft of reasons why you shouldn't, but, but..
A minimum of two empty pages is a requirement.
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

Doc67 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:15 pm
Random Dude wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:55 am What would be the situation if you 'hypothetically' lost your passport? Could you get a new/ temporary one issued while you wait for your replacement, and if so could you get a new visa put in the temporary passport?
If you lose your passport and have a flight back to the UK in the near future, the Embassy can issue an emergency travel document, a one-time affair that will get you home. As far as I know, that is the only offering, there's no such thing as a temporary passport.
Ah, ok it's an emergency travel document I was thinking of. Still, if OP talked to the embassy and explained he was due to get his new visa but has lost his passport, and obviously needs his passport to get the visa, maybe there's a way they could issue some other sort of emergency document to put the visa on. If not he'd be at risk of being there visaless and you'd think the embassy would strongly discourage that and hopefully have procedures in place for those situations. Maybe worth a phone call to the embassy to find out?
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Random Dude wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:40 pm
Random Dude wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:55 am What would be the situation if you 'hypothetically' lost your passport? Could you get a new/ temporary one issued while you wait for your replacement, and if so could you get a new visa put in the temporary passport?
If you lose your passport and have a flight back to the UK in the near future, the Embassy can issue an emergency travel document, a one-time affair that will get you home. As far as I know, that is the only offering, there's no such thing as a temporary passport.
Ah, ok it's an emergency travel document I was thinking of. Still, if OP talked to the embassy and explained he was due to get his new visa but has lost his passport, and obviously needs his passport to get the visa, maybe there's a way they could issue some other sort of emergency document to put the visa on. If not he'd be at risk of being there visaless and you'd think the embassy would strongly discourage that and hopefully have procedures in place for those situations. Maybe worth a phone call to the embassy to find out?
The Embassy have a poor reputation, I would ask an agent, but suspect it's a passport or nothing.
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

Doc67 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:48 pm
Random Dude wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:40 pm
The Embassy have a poor reputation, I would ask an agent, but suspect it's a passport or nothing.
You're probably right and yeah, embassies are generally useless in my experience, but I reckon OP should still give them a call (and an agent also) and see what they suggest. Situations like this must come up all the time.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

In that case you cannot get a replacement or new Visa/EOS...you need to apply for an Exit Visa and then leave the country within 7 days, to apply for an Exit Visa with a replacement passport or ETD you require a Cambodian Police Report and a lost/stolen/damaged passport report from your Embassy or National Passport Department. ETD's (Emergency Travel Documents) are only valid for use to return to your home country, you cannot leave Cambodia on an ETD and then use it to return.
Last edited by PSD-Kiwi on Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Kammekor wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:18 pm
A minimum of two empty pages is a requirement.
This...a minimum of 6 months validity from the date the EOS expires and a minimum of 2x blank VISA pages...the OP must get a new passport to be able to apply for a new EOS, no way around it.

Visa and EOS's are stamped half on the sticker half on the page, you cannot remove a Visa sticker in the hopes of using that page, not only is it illegal as it is passport tampering, it is near impossible these days with the new glue they use, not like a few years ago.
Last edited by PSD-Kiwi on Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Just steam off a few old visas - but to be on the safe side make sure to do so only to visas for other countries than Cambodia
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:57 pm
In that case you cannot get a replacement or new Visa/EOS...you need to apply for an Exit Visa and then leave the country within 7 days, to apply for an Exit Visa with a replacement passport or ETD you require a Cambodian Police Report and a lost/stolen/damaged passport report from your Embassy or National Passport Department. ETD's (Emergency Travel Documents) are only valid for use to return to your home country, you cannot leave Cambodia on an ETD and then use it to return.
where will they place the exit visa? no blank pages

I'd say realistically he has 2 options, wait an pay overstay
fly back to the uk and wait for new passport, fly back to Cambodia and enter with new ordinary visa

Personally cant see why the op didn't realize last year when he did his extension he did not notice, "o o only 2 pages left"

i replace my 10 year passport when i am down to 5 blank pages, seldom get 7 years out of one even before they stopped allowing US Passports extra pages<
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

If you ‘hypothetically’ lose your passport, you don’t want to ‘really’ lose your passport anytime in the future, as multiple ‘lost’ passports is a big red flag for immigration and customs.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic