No blank pages

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
MrBen87
Expatriate
Great Britain

No blank pages

Post by MrBen87 »

Hi, I'm currently living in Phnom Penh and am due to renew my visa, but have realised that I don't have any blank pages left in my passport!

I understand that I have to renew my passport and this process takes 13 weeks, my visa will expire on October 13th.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also, can I walk into the embassy and speak to someone or do I need to make an appointment?

I have tried calling the phone number many times but it is engaged.

Yes I should've sorted it out before, etc...

Only useful feedback advise please!
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: No blank pages

Post by John Bingham »

13 weeks is very long, is it a UK passport? Maybe you can pay extra to get it faster? I don't think there's much you can do other than explain it to immigration and pay overstay.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
ego bibere nimis
Expatriate
Australia

Post by ego bibere nimis »

MrBen87 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:49 am Hi, I'm currently living in Phnom Penh and am due to renew my visa, but have realised that I don't have any blank pages left in my passport!

I understand that I have to renew my passport and this process takes 13 weeks, my visa will expire on October 13th.

Also, can I walk into the embassy and speak to someone or do I need to make an appointment?

Perhaps apply for a 90 day extension to your current visa? It depends on your current visa type I guess. If you have an ordinary visa (E class) you can extend it for 1, 3, 6, or 12 months for between $30 and $300 depending on the length of the extension. Then use that window to get a new passport?
You know that tingly little feeling you get when you really like someone? That's common sense leaving your body.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

:facepalm:
ego bibere nimis wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:05 am
MrBen87 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:49 am Hi, I'm currently living in Phnom Penh and am due to renew my visa, but have realised that I don't have any blank pages left in my passport!

Perhaps apply for a 90 day extension to your current visa? It depends on your current visa type I guess. If you have an ordinary visa (E class) you can extend it for 1, 3, 6, or 12 months for between $30 and $300 depending on the length of the extension. Then use that window to get a new passport?
:facepalm:
you need a blank Page

OP
you fucked up :-)
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

ego bibere nimis wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:05 am

Which page would they stick it on?
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

You need to go to VFS Global in Phnom Penh (232 x Monivong), by appointment only.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/VFS ... 04.9196783

There is much talk about the length of time taken for a new UK passport, much of it this summer with many people applying for replacements and new applications; international travel was hard work last year so this year's demand was pent up from 2020 and 2021.

Now UK holiday season is over so they ought to have cleared up much of the backlog.

They say up to 15 weeks to stop people pestering them for updates and if it gets to them in 4 weeks they are over the moon!

VFS routes you to the FCO site and for overseas applications, start here:
https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

One thing to note: for some reason they do not allow you to bring any bags into their offices. Phones are ok, but no bags and there is nowhere to store them - it's a bizarre rule. Read the reviews on Google.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Which is cheaper? Fly back to the UK and wait for a new passport there, or suffer any financial penalty here?

Have you applied for a new passport? If so, and you have the tracking number for the application, have you discussed that with a visa agent, DOI, or the embassy. Have you made a fast track application?
When you called the UK embassy number and got no answer, did you go to the UK embassy website, and fill in their query form?

https://www.gov.uk/passport-advice-line
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

What would be the situation if you 'hypothetically' lost your passport? Could you get a new/ temporary one issued while you wait for your replacement, and if so could you get a new visa put in the temporary passport?
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Those old Cambodian visa pages are usually glued so badly and the stamp doesn't spread on to the page so you could potentially "accidentally" let an old one, ahem, disappear if the underlying page looks as good as new. It crossed my mind when I had to glue my old visas back into my passport that it would be very easy to free up a page if I needed to. I never did mind you, and I'm sure there's a raft of reasons why you shouldn't, but, but..
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Random Dude wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:55 am What would be the situation if you 'hypothetically' lost your passport? Could you get a new/ temporary one issued while you wait for your replacement, and if so could you get a new visa put in the temporary passport?
If you lose your passport and have a flight back to the UK in the near future, the Embassy can issue an emergency travel document, a one-time affair that will get you home. As far as I know, that is the only offering, there's no such thing as a temporary passport.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic