It happened; RIP AndyKK

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
David Gordon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: It could just happen

Post by David Gordon »

Not sure what happened to this thread the last few pages but what a mess.

Andy I posted about your diet in Roz’s thread because you seem to like her food and have commented there. I was reminded that thread was for promoting her business and not to be giving you my diet opinions. I will re-post here although this thread seems to be about logistics and unsure where I should post it at all - perhaps I should just myob.

Before I repost let me say this. A person with a gluten insensitivity and also weight problems - wants to lose weight and maintain - will eat differently than someone who is not gluten intolerant and rail thin like you - who should wish to gain weight.

Here’s my post:

Andy I do not wish to overstep but you look really thin and I think you need to maximize your calories and the way I would do it is with nutrient dense foods like meat cheese eggs and lots of animal fats - butter, lard, ghee. You do not need to avoid sugar or carbs necessarily but you should definitely avoid hollow carbs and try to have everything fried in animal fat. Put butter in/on everything and also definitely avoid ALL vegetable oils which are poison. Unsure what ‘cooking oil’ around here is - but if price is a factor it will be vegetable oils they are using. In baking I would also be concerned with the specific ingredients especially the oils. Get your protein and fats and get your caloric intake up a LOT. If you have a sweet tooth, after the steak and eggs eat a whole 300mg bar of quality Chocolate. Respect.
Stay classy na
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

wish you speedy recovery bro, ill drop you a pm on messenger
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:18 am wish you speedy recovery bro, ill drop you a pm on messenger
Thanks Jamie, hope all is well with you and your family. Nice to hear from you. Hopefully catch up with you on the next CEO meet.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Update on the situation, getting well is the main concern for me, but it comes in at a serious cost, this may not be a problem to some people that are covered by insurance and so on. I will give you a rundown of hospital cost (this is to help anyone who may find themselves having being hospitalized).

Russian friendship hospital (government).

Room rental $25 per night. Room also can have 3 people shering, That may not sound too bad, but the family members come with them, and there's no limitations by the hospital.
Medicine is expensive it's also the same price at the hospital pharmacy as it is at the outside pharmacies. I have two IV injection's in the day then one the following morning, cost $278 for the three injections.
$250 per week for the helper plus food.
Food $10-20 per day.
Get a few free pills per day from the hospital. Plus one time per day soup and rice is free.

I am putting on weight now, also I mentioned before that the doctors are looking at my lower back after the treatment at the first hospital, seems that there is damage and the reason probably why I am not walking, but the doctor is sure I will walk again.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Admitting yourself into the hospitals here in Phnom Penh, is not has easy or straight forward has it would probably be in the west. It's very possible that you find yourself in a situation of being refused! Nak my late partner was refused admission 3 times at the Russian friendship hospital, I too was refused on my first visit, I had the tuk tuk take me to another hospital (private) I was refused there too, even though I had collapsed on the entrance step's, we're they gave me a covid-19 PCR test. After a few hours a tuk got me home for the night.
In the morning I went to Mercy hope hospital, and I was hoping with all my prayers they would help me! I know the hospital and the western and Khmer doctors, but the hospital in general only treat Khmer, but made the exception due to my condition. This is where the Khmer doctor wrote notes and recommend me to the Russian friendship hospital for treatment.
Also don't try to get admitted if you are alone, they will most likely refuse you again. If you need anything such has medicine from outside, food and any help you need someone with you, there's no help in the hospital in most cases.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Far out, I was so sure you had said the hospital was $250 a day and I couldn't work out why it was so expensive. $25 sounds a lot more realistic for where you are. Phew.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

rozzieoz wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:38 am Far out, I was so sure you had said the hospital was $250 a day and I couldn't work out why it was so expensive. $25 sounds a lot more realistic for where you are. Phew.
The room is $25 per person per day, with a room with 3 people. If you want a single room for 1 it's $80 per day. We have been lucky over the weekend to have the room alone. The last sick lady had 10 members of her family stay with her day and night, they would sleep on the floor. Also with so many people coming and going from the room I had a bit of a complain, covid tests PCR, are they carried out prior on visitors? Still I wait for the answer.
$250+ per day is for the medicine.
All in all the cost is @$2700+ per 7 days
simon43
Expatriate
Laos

Post by simon43 »

AndyKK wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:56 am
rozzieoz wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:38 am Far out, I was so sure you had said the hospital was $250 a day and I couldn't work out why it was so expensive. $25 sounds a lot more realistic for where you are. Phew.
The room is $25 per person per day, with a room with 3 people. If you want a single room for 1 it's $80 per day. We have been lucky over the weekend to have the room alone. The last sick lady had 10 members of her family stay with her day and night, they would sleep on the floor. Also with so many people coming and going from the room I had a bit of a complain, covid tests PCR, are they carried out prior on visitors? Still I wait for the answer.
I haven't been following all the posts, but I thought you had pneumonia. I have a lung illness and was previously hospitalised in Bumrungrad Bangkok for 7 days in a private room when I had acute pneumonia. All treatment, medicines, room costs etc etc came to about $2,000 for 7 days of my stay.

You can 'bite my head off' if I've misunderstood something here, but why is your medicine $250+ per day? Have I missed something?
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

simon43 wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:55 pm
I haven't been following all the posts, but I thought you had pneumonia. I have a lung illness and was previously hospitalised in Bumrungrad Bangkok for 7 days in a private room when I had acute pneumonia. All treatment, medicines, room costs etc etc came to about $2,000 for 7 days of my stay.

You can 'bite my head off' if I've misunderstood something here, but why is medicine $250+ per day? Have I missed something?
I wish I really had the choice, but going youranywhere without the oxygen and help it is impossible for me, and I can't walk, infact I can't move my own body in any position to be comfortable in bed.
I have 2 shots and 1 the following morning of IV meds, the bottle/vile 6 meds are mixed together, 1 of them is priced at $58 alone. Yes medicine in Cambodia can be expensive. Like I said I'm paying $250+ per day for the med's that I need.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

simon43 wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:55 pm

You can 'bite my head off' if I've misunderstood something here, but why is your medicine $250+ per day? Have I missed something?
On the Bumrumgrad website they put a price tag of 239$ on their two bedded room (service charge + meals incleded, doctor's fees and med's are extra) per 24 hours so I guess it's either 3 decades ago or you lost a zero down the way.
Locked Previous topicNext topic