Khmer mother exiting PNH with her barang baby

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Re: Khmer mother exiting PNH with her barang baby

Post by TWY »

My wife made a border crossing into Thailand by land with one of our sons (Pailin crossing). The Thai immigration asked if she could prove she was the mother. She had a copy of his US certificate of birth abroad which listed her as the mother and she had a paper copy of my passport. Once she showed that there were no issues.

Several years ago, we also crossed at Poipet as a family and the Thai immigration doubled checked my name with our son's name when they saw my wife's name didn't match our son's name. The check was cursory and no other questions asked.

When we have flown its always been as a family. We did have one time entering the US where my wife was in the foreign passport line and I had the kids in the US line and the immigration officer grilled me on where the mother was at. Well she is in the foreign passport line. NOT GOOD ENOUGH! for her. She began saying that I could just say that and needed some proof, blah blah blah. I pointed out that it was her agency that set up the two separate lines and if needed she could reference the airline booking since we all flew together or I would be happy to walk over and get my wife out of the HUGE line for her to process :) Eventually, a supervisor or more senior immigration officer came over and asked me the same question and I gave the same response that she is in the foreign passport line - he looked at the kids and said ok, hit some buttons and then said welcome home. Since then I've made sure we carry 2 copies of the US certificate of birth abroad when we travel just in case - one for each of us entering the US. And I don't know what might have happened had she not been travelling with us.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

TWY wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:46 am When we have flown its always been as a family. We did have one time entering the US where my wife was in the foreign passport line and I had the kids in the US line and the immigration officer grilled me on where the mother was at. Well she is in the foreign passport line. NOT GOOD ENOUGH! for her. She began saying that I could just say that and needed some proof, blah blah blah. I pointed out that it was her agency that set up the two separate lines and if needed she could reference the airline booking since we all flew together or I would be happy to walk over and get my wife out of the HUGE line for her to process :) Eventually, a supervisor or more senior immigration officer came over and asked me the same question and I gave the same response that she is in the foreign passport line - he looked at the kids and said ok, hit some buttons and then said welcome home. Since then I've made sure we carry 2 copies of the US certificate of birth abroad when we travel just in case - one for each of us entering the US. And I don't know what might have happened had she not been travelling with us.
Isn't US border control (homeland?) notoriously famous for being @ssholes in certain airports?
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Kammekor wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:51 am
TWY wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:46 am When we have flown its always been as a family. We did have one time entering the US where my wife was in the foreign passport line and I had the kids in the US line and the immigration officer grilled me on where the mother was at. Well she is in the foreign passport line. NOT GOOD ENOUGH! for her. She began saying that I could just say that and needed some proof, blah blah blah. I pointed out that it was her agency that set up the two separate lines and if needed she could reference the airline booking since we all flew together or I would be happy to walk over and get my wife out of the HUGE line for her to process :) Eventually, a supervisor or more senior immigration officer came over and asked me the same question and I gave the same response that she is in the foreign passport line - he looked at the kids and said ok, hit some buttons and then said welcome home. Since then I've made sure we carry 2 copies of the US certificate of birth abroad when we travel just in case - one for each of us entering the US. And I don't know what might have happened had she not been travelling with us.
Isn't US border control (homeland?) notoriously famous for being @ssholes in certain airports?
Lots of American expats get searched at SFO but not LAX. No idea why. A complete pain.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Big Daikon wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:48 am
Lots of American expats get searched at SFO but not LAX. No idea why. A complete pain.
I entered once through Houston, it was OK, but I've heard horrible stories about JFK, LAX and other major airports.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Kammekor wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 4:35 pm
Big Daikon wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:48 am
I entered once through Houston, it was OK, but I've heard horrible stories about JFK, LAX and other major airports.
Interesting. I've flown into JFK and NWK multiple times with no problems. Maybe luck of the draw.

Japanese wife has gotten extra questions when entering the US with me.
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Post by TWY »

[/quote]

-----------

My understanding is that immigration officials have almost total power to do as they please. If you are a US citizen you have the right to enter the country. But the immigration official can certainly detain you, inspect your belongings, and turn you over to other law enforcement officials.

If you are a foreigner, then they have total power to deny your entry. I believe the US embassy informs people when they get a visa that they may still be denied entry based on what the immigration official decides. If your a permanent resident then I believe you generally have a right to entry unless you were away for a long time.

Years ago I travelled internationally extensively on business. When returning to the US I was asked all kinds of what I considered to be inappropriate questions. I mainly flew into JFK. I would just tell myself when approaching the booths that I was going to smile no matter what and I'd soon be on the escalator down to luggage and on my way home! But there were a few times I went down the escalator shaking my head.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

The worst US immigration officers I encountered were stationed in Camadian airports, where you clear immigration pre-flight.
In the 2000s, the novelist Ian McEwan agreed to fly from London to Seattle to give a talk at a literary event.
His agent booked him via Vancouver. He stayed there overnight and in the morning went to take the short flight to Seattle.
The officious border guard asked him if he would be receiving any payment for his talk. He was in fact getting paid a small sum which turned out to be slightly higher than the permitted maximum when entering on a visa waiver. So he was refused entry.
McEwan went back to his hotel and reported back to his agent. The agent knew that Laura Bush was a big fan so a call was made to the White House and shoirtly after McEwan was rebooked on the next flight. When he got to immigration, he faced the same guard. The guard sneered at him angrily and said "I've been ordered to let you in", and stamped his passport disgustedly.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic