Face masks mandatory in Vietnam -- 09/2022

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Face masks mandatory in Vietnam -- 09/2022

Post by Kammekor »

ExPenhMan wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:05 pm
@Freightdog You might have a gander at some fresh HCMC videos, if that's your destination. I'd say it's much like Bangkok. Most Thais wear masks, foreigners and visitors do not. And no one has reported being bothered for not doing so. In Thailand, it's recommended but not mandatory.
I've been in Thailand for the last eight days and nearly every Thai wears a mask. It doesn't matter whether they're on the street or in a shop. It feels weird and impolite not to wear a mask. In Cambodia I never wear a mask, but here I do.

You know, when in Rome.....
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Kammekor wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:37 pm
@Freightdog You might have a gander at some fresh HCMC videos, if that's your destination. I'd say it's much like Bangkok. Most Thais wear masks, foreigners and visitors do not. And no one has reported being bothered for not doing so. In Thailand, it's recommended but not mandatory.
I've been in Thailand for the last eight days and nearly every Thai wears a mask. It doesn't matter whether they're on the street or in a shop. It feels weird and impolite not to wear a mask. In Cambodia I never wear a mask, but here I do.

Very few were wearing masks in Pattaya a few weeks ago, where were you?
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

atst wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:58 pm
Kammekor wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:37 pm

Very few were wearing masks in Pattaya a few weeks ago, where were you?
Been in Bangkok last week, now in Jomtien.
Ong Tay
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Ong Tay »

Something does seem afoot...my HR department just sent us an infographic about mask-wearing and other measures published by the HCMC CDC. Trying to get it translated into English. (would upload it directly but I can't seem to figure out how to do that)
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

Ong Tay wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 4:56 pm Something does seem afoot...my HR department just sent us an infographic about mask-wearing and other measures published by the HCMC CDC. Trying to get it translated into English. (would upload it directly but I can't seem to figure out how to do that)
OK, here's how it goes. You can put the infographic on your desktop. Open a Post Reply window. You will see the green and white letter "i" in a blue box. Clicking it opens up a window and here choose your desktop as source of the image. In this new window, find and select the infographic. What happens now is it sends the image to Imgur, which processes it and gives it an anonymous URL code, which it then embeds in your Reply window. From there you can write an intro above the image of the infographic <<or you can do this first and then click on the "i" to embed the image. Hope that's understandable.

You can see if you've got it right by pressing Preview, before Submitting it to CEO.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

Another media outlet -- The Saigon Times -- weighs in with its own interpretation of the Ministry of Health guidelines, posted some three hours ago,

This report seems to be more weighted toward the easing of restrictions. It's also more straight forward and understandable. I would conclude this article makes more sense and the earlier stories were off the mark. Walking maskless on the streets seems to be acceptable (see bold faced segments).

@Freightdog This might be what you're looking for.

Headline: Vietnam eases mask mandate
HCMC – The Ministry of Health has eased the Covid mask mandate but it remains intact in high-risk areas and public spaces.

According to new guidelines issued by the minstry, mask wearing is not mandated at crowded areas like apartment buildings, schools, entertainment sites, stadiums, outdoor activity areas and reststops.

But people who have respiratory diseases or develop symptoms of Covid must wear a face mask.

Masking is mandatory for all people, except for children under five, who enter extremely-high-risk or high-risk areas.

At healthcare centers, quarantine facilities and hotels which are requisitioned as quarantine centers, all visitors are subject to the mask mandate.

Masks are compulsory on public buses and at passenger coach and train stations.

Employees, managers and sanitation staff at commercial centers, wholesale markets and supermarkets are required to wear masks when they come into close contact with consumers.

In poorly ventilated spaces such as bars, nightclubs, karaoke parlors, spas, gyms, cinemas and restaurants, employees and managers must wear a mask.

Mask wearing is also mandatory for employees, sellers and managers at cultural and tourism events which attract many revelers.

Similarly, employees at offices and agencies which receive documents, and transaction offices must also follow the mask rule.

Masking is optional for other cases, according to the ministry.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Looks like my timing was excellent this time around - I left Vietnam on Sep 7th. Except for Saigon Centre (a shopping mall), where they chose to enforce it on one out of three days I went there, I wasn't asked to wear a face mask anywhere else.
Ong Tay
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Ong Tay »

Ong Tay
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Ong Tay »

So I am told that the new notice from the health department encourages masks in public spaces, but it is no longer required (which most people didn't realize or pay heed to in any case).

Not sure if masks are still required on flights/other public transport.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic