Fire at Old Market/Psar Chas in Phnom Penh (vids + pics)

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
LTO
Expatriate

Re: Fire at Old Market/Psar Chas in Phnom Penh (vids + pics)

Post by LTO »

Secret Squirrel wrote:Paging all the conspiracy theorists.....................
LOL
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
thePeck
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Fire at Old Market/Psar Chas in Phnom Penh (vids + pics)

Post by thePeck »

Sailorman wrote:Let me see, Cambodian fire departments. No equipment, no fire fighter suits (turnout gear), no proper water nozzles, little or no training, no proper fire plans, no proper hose lays, no fire hydrants, no SCBA (air-packs), no life saving gear, no Emergence Medical Technicians/fire-fighters, no national training site, no hook and ladder trucks/cherry-picker boom trucks even though tall building are being built, no mutual response co-ordination with other fire departments, little or no pay which makes for no esprit de corps, no salvage equipment, and the usual corruption in obtaining the noted things.

I have been an EMT/firefighter, 30+ years on shipboard fire brigades, hold both basic and advanced firefighting certificates (advanced done were US Navy trains), I volunteered my time with the Australian NGO that trains firefighters. I was told that yes, I was qualified to teach fire fighting, but no wasn't needed. Obviously I was getting into someone's rice bowl. Usual useless scam NGO's?

Fire Departments in Cambodia? Useless, and an accident looking for a place to happen. Lucky the construction is mostly concrete and not stick/wood built, but you have all the open gas cooking fires and tanks of volatile gas's, tanker trucks of gasoline in cities, and much, much more.

In Sihanoukville, I'm told the fire department wants $1000. before they will squirt water. I was at the fire down by the beach a couple years ago that took out some business's. With one truck, water, three trained firefighters and proper hose lays/nozzles, the fire would have been contained in about 20 minutes. As it was whole business burnt down and any other place on earth there would be a big investigation, but TIC (This Is Cambodia) You have to love it warts and all, but I would never build a building or start a business here.
Sailorman, you might be interested to know, a NFPA project here had the hose valve standpipe system removed due to the knowledge that the Cambodian Fire Dept was inept and would never use them nor know how to use them. So we removed them from design, only fire sprinklers and fire alarm system. How they get water to finish a fire held back by the sprinkler system I don't know, but we have a tank supply for 120 minutes if the fire doesn't pop too many heads.

Should give someone enough time to pay them to go up and finish the job or let the tank run out, fire pump burn up and the place still burns down.... we'll see.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic