Who actually still lives in Cambodia?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Re: Who actually still lives in Cambodia?

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

rozzieoz wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:45 pm Other than me....
Last one to leave turn the lights out, no need to bother there's a power cut anyway.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
Mr Cynical
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by Mr Cynical »

Having lived in various Asian countries long term over the last 20 years including Cambodia 11 years) it always amazes me that well traveled educated people still decide to stay there. Where to start, accommodation most places less than $400.00 US per month are pitiful furniture mattresses etc. Infrastructure where ever you go rubbish all over the streets hence the stench in most of Phnom Penh and towns where expats live. Having been lucky to have successful businesses there I pulled the plug 5 years ago at the start of the Chinese influx. If the majority of the posted were more honest they would live somewhere else, for those that quote Cambodian family ties for their children what about there own family ties from wherever they come from. Sorry for the rant and best of luck to those stuck there
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I'm still here. I was wondering if this site should be renamed Cambodian Repats Online for a bit but it seems like there are still a few of us here.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

I'm not going anywhere just now 🤣
Always "hope" but never "expect".
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:18 am I'm still here. I was wondering if this site should be renamed Cambodian Repats Online for a bit but it seems like there are still a few of us here.
Yes and so true. Many of the Cambodia expats have moved on, and many back to their own countries. I suppose it started with the Chinese moving in has they did at the time. Many would be uprooted and then the loss of business and home's, due to the situation.
Then covid came along and put the lid on the situation, tourism was greatly affected, resulting in many ways what the business needed (restaurant's and bar's, guest houses) paying customers. I would say that having no income for many was certainly the time to go.
Now there's a few die-hards who have grit their teeth and struggled on, but how many have been under the pressure with some ties or long leases, lack of travel, flights expensive and canceled, procedure's to follow, only hope for the situation of tourism to return for some business.
Expats with family ties, who have committed themselves long term to the country, again all effected in one way or another, education, health care.
Economy of Cambodia seems to be holding up. Developing country, it does get help from other countries and governments from around the world. But it is a unbalanced country due to its past. I would have thought to see more of the basics, such as the country having there own electric and water supply, health care and education, that only addresses the surface, long way to go to even match two of it's countries bordering. But they have all of this to go by, due to the development of those countries.
I wonder what the numbers are of expats who have left Cambodia over this period?
Last edited by AndyKK on Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Mr Cynical wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:57 am Having lived in various Asian countries long term over the last 20 years including Cambodia 11 years) it always amazes me that well traveled educated people still decide to stay there. Where to start, accommodation most places less than $400.00 US per month are pitiful furniture mattresses etc. Infrastructure where ever you go rubbish all over the streets hence the stench in most of Phnom Penh and towns where expats live. Having been lucky to have successful businesses there I pulled the plug 5 years ago at the start of the Chinese influx. If the majority of the posted were more honest they would live somewhere else, for those that quote Cambodian family ties for their children what about there own family ties from wherever they come from. Sorry for the rant and best of luck to those stuck there
You certainly don't speak for me! I absolutely LOVE my life and wouldn't live anywhere else. Luckily I make enough money to afford my own mattress. ;)
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

AndyKK wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:27 am I'm not going anywhere just now 🤣
Next meet is at Russian Khmer Friendship Hospital haha.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

rozzieoz wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:44 am
Mr Cynical wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:57 am Having lived in various Asian countries long term over the last 20 years including Cambodia 11 years) it always amazes me that well traveled educated people still decide to stay there. Where to start, accommodation most places less than $400.00 US per month are pitiful furniture mattresses etc. Infrastructure where ever you go rubbish all over the streets hence the stench in most of Phnom Penh and towns where expats live. Having been lucky to have successful businesses there I pulled the plug 5 years ago at the start of the Chinese influx. If the majority of the posted were more honest they would live somewhere else, for those that quote Cambodian family ties for their children what about there own family ties from wherever they come from. Sorry for the rant and best of luck to those stuck there
You certainly don't speak for me! I absolutely LOVE my life and wouldn't live anywhere else. Luckily I make enough money to afford my own mattress. ;)
That's what makes the world tick, money. I don't know how long I have been here exactly, it's been a year or two, I am currently close to another passport ending.
My own mattress! I have sleep on the tiled floors since having the bar/restaurant back in Koh Kong 10+ years.
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

Me :hattip:
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

xandreu wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:16 pm I'm always surprised at the number of members on here who don't actually live in Cambodia. When I read / post on here, I always assume I'm interracting with people who reside here and have made Cambodia their home. An easy mistake to make I guess, given the title of the forum.

It's not until threads like this one pop up that I realise that's often not the case. Something that kind of baffles me a bit.
but did u notice, few who have chimed in, said they dont live here, the oldest most prolific posters ignored this question
even all but one mod, doesn't live here, including the the owner

I am also here, but Inshallah not for long
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic