Multi year visa (UK for Cambodian citizen)?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Joe5
Tourist
Great Britain

Multi year visa (UK for Cambodian citizen)?

Post by Joe5 »

Hi

Has anyone gone though this process before. I noticed the options on the gov.uk website and they seem useful.
Mainly 5 or 10 years.

I would like to go for a 10 year tourist visitor visa for the missus (allows entry for 10 years, at 6 months let time)

Cost is $1,000 which seems ok as that is same as 10 x 6 months.

Just wondering how much more paperwork is needed (have done the 6month before) and the likelihood of getting. As I believe it if fully non refundable.

Any help or experience in going through the process would be helpful. In no rush as planning months in advance.

Reason for going this is the effort to go through each time you need a visa. Plus you can only start process 3 months in advance, which is a bit annoying
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Multi year visa (UK for Cambodian citizen)?

Post by armchairlawyer »

Joe5 wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:25 pm Hi

Has anyone gone though this process before. I noticed the options on the gov.uk website and they seem useful.
Mainly 5 or 10 years.

I would like to go for a 10 year tourist visitor visa for the missus (allows entry for 10 years, at 6 months let time)

Just wondering how much more paperwork is needed (have done the 6month before) and the likelihood of getting. As I believe it if fully non refundable.

Any help or experience in going through the process would be helpful. In no rush as planning months in advance.

Reason for going this is the effort to go through each time you need a visa. Plus you can only start process 3 months in advance, which is a bit annoying
How many times has she been already?
Spacing between each stay?
How long was each stay?
Is she the mother of a UK passport holder (and you the father)?
Joe5
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by Joe5 »

armchairlawyer wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:54 am

Mainly 5 or 10 years.

How long was each stay?
Twice, 2 years apart, for about a month each

no kids, not married, but I assume enough money and "reason to return to Cambodia"

Guessing it could be a long shot, but just trying to see options as it would save a lot of time
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Joe5 wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 12:14 pm
armchairlawyer wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:54 am

Mainly 5 or 10 years.

How long was each stay?
Twice, 2 years apart, for about a month each

no kids, not married, but I assume enough money and "reason to return to Cambodia"

Guessing it could be a long shot, but just trying to see options as it would save a lot of time
Yes, I think you would need more track record than that but I suggest you ask one of the better visa agents in Pattaya, nobody knows more about UK visas than them. I am out of touch as to which companies are good, maybe Key Visa. If they take it on they will offer a no visa no fee guarantee. You'll still lose your application fee of course but it means they don't want to waste their time on a hopeless case. Their fee will be $1000+ but miles cheaper than a UK lawyer. They will probably be happy to chat on the phone before you commit.
OTOH, this Uktaine express 48 hour palaver which is fcuking everything up for everyome else won't go on forever, so we will return to the normal 3 weeks processing time. If you only plan to go every other year, I would stick with that. Having got 2 already, you run little risk of a refusal on that route.
Joe5
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by Joe5 »

Thanks @armchairlawyer good idea with the Pattaya route, that's a good option.

Would like to see if anyone has done in Cambodia too as they may see it differently

Thanks for the advice.

Will update after I have gone through (or decided against)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic