Do you conjugate verbs around Cambodians or just use baby talk?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Re: Do you conjugate verbs around Cambodians or just use baby talk?

Post by newkidontheblock »

bong.kuit wrote:Is using Khmer grammar (no conjugation, less prepositions etc.) in English akin to "baby English"? Does that imply that Khmer grammar is infantile?
It skips a translation step. Especially for those who aren’t fluent in English.

A typical Khmer speaker has to think it in Khmer, translate the words into English, then re-order the grammar into English, then speak English. Same for listening. Convert the words, Re-order the grammar, then understand in Khmer. Short cut one step gets faster understanding.

Have you had lunch (or whatever verb) yet? Eat, yes/no or eat have not? I don’t understand you goes to Not understand.

Sounds stupid, but it skips a translation step.

Most English films are either dubbed into Khmer, or translated into Khmer. Some Khmer have travelled extensively all over the world, enjoys English movies without dubs or subtitles and speak perfect English.

Mr. Motodop or vegetable seller lady or waitress typically has not. Why make it harder on them to understand?

These are my opinions.
bong.kuit
Expatriate

Post by bong.kuit »

Kammekor wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:22 pm
bong.kuit wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:35 pm Is using Khmer grammar (no conjugation, less prepositions etc.) in English akin to "baby English"? Does that imply that Khmer grammar is infantile?
Khmer grammar is very different from English grammar, but I wouldn't call it infantile, because using it in the correct way beyond 'pidgin' Khmer will take quite an effort.

In fact, the few words Khmer generally spoken to foreigners in the main area (let's say Riverside & beyond), could easily be considered pidgin Khmer. :lol:
I just skimmed through the wiki-page for Khmer grammar and can say I noticed most of the peculiarities described. (As my Khmer is pretty shit, I'm actually a bit surprised, lol) My wife and I managed to incorporate quite a few of them into our Khmenglish... :roll:

Thinking about it, if English were my native language, I would probably be more hesitant to 'play' with it, too.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

Although it sounds pretty annoying, it's quite understandable why barangs use baby/pidgin English to communicate with the locals.

What's truly bizarre though is when a barang uses it it to communicate with me, another English-speaking barang :chin:
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

newkidontheblock wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:33 pm
bong.kuit wrote:Is using Khmer grammar (no conjugation, less prepositions etc.) in English akin to "baby English"? Does that imply that Khmer grammar is infantile?
It skips a translation step. Especially for those who aren’t fluent in English.

A typical Khmer speaker has to think it in Khmer, translate the words into English, then re-order the grammar into English, then speak English. Same for listening. Convert the words, Re-order the grammar, then understand in Khmer. Short cut one step gets faster understanding.
I gather you only speak English because that's not how it works speaking a foreign language with any proficiency.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

John Bingham wrote:I gather you only speak English because that's not how it works speaking a foreign language with any proficiency.
I try to use as much Khmer as I can, but no where as good as your Khmer. Those wonderful curse words (in another post) you mentioned missus refuses to translate or speak them to me. Apparently, she wants me to know and speak only ‘good’ Khmer.

Yes, when speaking English to native speakers, I normally. No need for me to translate my English.

In fact, Missus was surprised that I that I was fluent in English when we first met. She couldn’t believe it when I switched.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic