Paying Khmer Public School bribes. Worth it?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Re: Paying Khmer Public School bribes. Worth it?

Post by newkidontheblock »

Philosophically, Cambodia is caught in the Roman slave trap. There are the patricians who run everything and have access to high education, and the slaves (manual labor). For many difficult problems facing Roman society, it was far cheaper to throw slaves at it, instead of innovation or advancing society; Of course slaves also led to the downfall of the empire.

The cheapest thing Cambodia is labor, the exact opposite in any western country.

Of course, improving mass education is a double edged sword. A smarter population asks more questions and is more likely to vote with their feet.

Some Khmer families that can afford it, send their kids to Western countries for an education.

These are my opinions.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

newkidontheblock wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:49 am Some Khmer families that can afford it, send their kids to Western countries for an education.

These are my opinions.
Very, very few send their kids abroad for primary or secondary education. Those that can afford it send their kids to ISPP, Northbridge, The Canadian School, Lycée Descartes, etc. Then they go abroad abroad for tertiary education. Not necessarily in the west though, many go to Japan, Malaysia, Singapore.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Out of curiosity and I'm only looking for a ballpark figure, how much does a private university such as Norton charge for undergraduate studies?

Quite off topic I know, but as private education came up and fees foe private primary and secondary schools have already been mentioned...
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Alex wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:47 pm Out of curiosity and I'm only looking for a ballpark figure, how much does a private university such as Norton charge for undergraduate studies?

Quite off topic I know, but as private education came up and fees foe private primary and secondary schools have already been mentioned...
Private universities are generally much cheaper than international primary/ high schools.
CamEd is a bit over $5000. Norton is about $855 per year.
https://free-apply.com/en/university/1011600032

Here's a list of various schools and universities and their fees:
https://www.realestate.com.kh/guides/co ... h-schools/
Silence, exile, and cunning.
cpandrea
Expatriate

Post by cpandrea »

newkidontheblock wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:49 am

Of course, improving mass education is a double edged sword. A smarter population asks more questions and is more likely to vote with their feet.

These are my opinions.
I agree

I am visiting regularly 3 schools in a remote village of the Pursat Province. The people are so poor there, that the teachers usually don't ask a bribe and don't offer extra class (I checked it with a few parents), but sometime the teachers are not at school, I think maybe they have something to do in the own fields.
In the district town is yet different, extra class from the own teacher are usual. As western I hate, teachers doing extra class to the own students for money. I could find ok, doing to diffent students. But I remember quite well a poor good student having from the math teacher extra class, for her free just because she is really poor. Also not all the teacher are the same.

In that village many people think/say CPP build the bridge or the road and they can not understand the difference between a party and the state.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic