Only corruption can make you rich?

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Re: Only corruption can make you rich?

Post by Samouth »

General Mackevili wrote:I wouldn't say it's the "only" way to get rich in Cambodia, but probably the most common method. And probably the easiest way too...

$2,000 a month seems quite reasonable, as their would be many ways for immigration officers to get extra cash.

Sure his bosses make even more.
It is absolutely that his boss makes more than him. He told me that every morning they will share all the money they earned previous day following the positions. lolzz. As long as there is corruption Cambodia is still a poor country. :lol:
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Is he at least spending it well? He should have at least a Range Rover by now.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Samouth wrote:
General Mackevili wrote:I wouldn't say it's the "only" way to get rich in Cambodia, but probably the most common method. And probably the easiest way too...

$2,000 a month seems quite reasonable, as their would be many ways for immigration officers to get extra cash.

Sure his bosses make even more.
It is absolutely that his boss makes more than him. He told me that every morning they will share all the money they earned previous day following the positions. lolzz. As long as there is corruption Cambodia is still a poor country. :lol:
Samouth
You know what you can do = corruption.
But you know what you don't want to do = corruption.
It is obvious that you will not become rich quickly, but you will keep your integrity. Up to you, but I say :hattip:

You are thinking about long term consequences, an abstract concept not always easy to grasp for Khmers. Keep it up and someone will see your potential. :thumb:
I hope so anyway.
starkmonster
Expatriate

Post by starkmonster »

Soumy Phan wrote:It is my dream to see corruptionless in my country.
It will never go away, they'll just get better at hiding it and reduce the number of people who get a taste.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

General Mackevili wrote:Is he at least spending it well? He should have at least a Range Rover by now.

Not yet. i guess he will have it one day. He just got to work at Siem Reap Airport about two months and he earns that much.

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
flying chicken
Expatriate

Post by flying chicken »

Your friend must be very well connected to pull in that amount in a short period of employment. I know quite a few people working in custom for years and pulled in much less than that on the side.

What I recently noticed here the corrupted rich people don't generally talk about their wealth -- they want to keep it on the low.

If I have to guess I'd have to say only around or less 10% of wealthy locals who actually made it on their own. If somebody paid me 100k to chop off one of the Hun's balls I'd strongly consider it. Fuck it, if you cant win them join them.
EVERYONE BOW DOWN AND PAY EXTREME HOMAGE TO HIS MAJESTIES flying chicken©
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

flying chicken wrote:Your friend must be very well connected to pull in that amount in a short period of employment. I know quite a few people working in custom for years and pulled in much less than that on the side.

What I recently noticed here the corrupted rich people don't generally talk about their wealth -- they want to keep it on the low.

If I have to guess I'd have to say only around or less 10% of wealthy locals who actually made it on their own. If somebody paid me 100k to chop off one of the Hun's balls I'd strongly consider it. Fuck it, if you cant win them join them.
Hey flying chicken, even though I can't win them, but I will not join them. I have my own principles. I am happy to be poor and feel peace inside rather than being rich abs feel guilty inside. :)

Mr Curious
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Mr Curious »

I say good for you Samouth. I could not live with myself being a robber while my neighbors were hungry or barely getting by. I wonder how it can be one country when it starts out with "me and my family against everyone else". How can there be any unity or common purpose and growth?

ya know, in the Great Depression, everyone knew which folks were having a hard time gettin by and magically, food or chickens and such would appear on their porch overnight. I wonder if that ever happens in Cambodia. I'm guessing the ones with robber jobs would only MAYBE help out their own family.
flying chicken
Expatriate

Post by flying chicken »

The wealth disparity in this country is the worse of all the countries I've been to...its right in your face...you probably wouldnt notice it as much until you spend considerable amount of time with the locals on a personal level. For instance, on some month I've struggled to bring food to the table for days and we are not alone in this -- those who are in the a similar position as us help each out back and forth whenever we can I guess thats why Khmer preferred to live collectively for security reason. Whereas people living next door and nearby have no problem dropping 100 or 200 dollars at a fine dining restaurant every night...the way they spend is probably on par to that of NGO chief executives and it is uncommon in the cities like PP and SR these days....and it make you wonder where they consistently get the money from when they arent really educated. But 1 thing most of them have in common is, they are very connected.
EVERYONE BOW DOWN AND PAY EXTREME HOMAGE TO HIS MAJESTIES flying chicken©
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic