New Liquor Laws in the LOS (Land of Scowls) Today

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: New Liquor Laws in the LOS (Land of Scowls) Today

Post by phuketrichard »

it will make not one bit of dif.
mom & pop places will continue to sell 24/7

as stated it is ONLY been applied and enforced at 7/11's and the big ( big c, tesco, Central, villa) supermarkets.
and legally registered entertainment venues which have laws that strictly govern the periods they can operate daily.
so all bars, discos, gogo are excluded
Will surely affect the freestyle bars that seem to crowd the pavement on sukumvit in Bangkok after midnight

plus
What is has taken out of the equation is before you could buy a case of beer at any hours at the supermarkets, now it seems they have closed that off.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

I don't really see what the purpose or serious aim of it is is the more I think about it, other than superficial moralising. If the idea was to somehow curb alcoholic related misdemeanours amongst Thais it's pretty ineffective. The carnage on the roads through drunkeness needs to be curbed through proper policing, serious fines, licence revocation ( assuming the culprits actually got one ) etc. Changing the hours isn't going to stop big groups piling in the back of a pick up with an Eski of beers and spirits heading to the beach to party for the afternoon and heading home behind the wheel while drunk.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

PHUKET: A top-ranking police officer and a leading Phuket health official today both confirmed that there has no change in the hours that alcohol may be sold, despite a new order signed into effect by Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha. -

The new order mandates that shops having liquor licenses are allowed to sell alcohol only between 11am and 2pm, and 5pm and midnight.

However, it also stipulates that the law does not apply to international airports or entertainment venues already regulated by law, such as bars along Patong’s Soi Bangla.

Provincial Police Deputy Commander Peerayuth Karajedee today told the Phuket Gazette, “I have no idea why this is news. It has been these hours for more than 10 years.” -
as i said;
Regardless, Col Peeryauth said that police were aware that many small mom-and-pop stores throughout Phuket ignored the ban. -

See more at: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-new ... ID621.dpuf
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

Scowls? I thought it was Smirks?
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Post by wackyjacky »

I just wanted a phrase to reflect what been going on over there in the last 10 years IMO. My love for Thailand has faded away. When was the last time you heard it called the 'Land Of Smiles' ?
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

I've always thought since visiting that Cambodia has more of a Land of Smiles feel about it than Thailand, well maybe The Land of Giggling :thumb:
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic