New Flyover Bridges for Phnom Penh

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: New Flyover Bridges for Phnom Penh

Post by John Bingham »

There are some massive ring-roads being built around the city. They'll make bypassing the capital much easier.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

orussey98 wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:36 pm Ofc public transportation would be the best I agree with that.

but some questions still :

can we stop people want to use their car?
Should cars be forbidden in some areas? (why not)

From the rivers to the 271 nothing is made for cars anyways.
Sen Sok is a bit better for that as Chroy Changvar , 60m we'll see

Should we also forbid condominium?
Condominiums increase the density of the population and people still want their car.

As I said in a previous message, a good start would be to move all the ministers outskirt.
It's the easiest and cheapest way for the government to tackle traffic jam.

Moving all ministry's to the outskirts of the city would only work if there are sub-branches in other areas, or else some people would have to travel across and through the city centre to get to the main ministry making even more travel time and congestion.
Imagine if a ministry was moved to Takhmau, which is now considered just a suburb of PP and you lived in Prek Nou or Sen Sok
orussey98
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by orussey98 »

Tootsfriend wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:03 am
Moving all ministry's to the outskirts of the city would only work if there are sub-branches in other areas, or else some people would have to travel across and through the city centre to get to the main ministry making even more travel time and congestion.
Imagine if a ministry was moved to Takhmau, which is now considered just a suburb of PP and you lived in Prek Nou or Sen Sok
Not "across and through"

That's the reason of the ring roads

rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

orussey98 wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:36 pm Ofc public transportation would be the best I agree with that.

but some questions still :

can we stop people want to use their car?
Should cars be forbidden in some areas? (why not)

From the rivers to the 271 nothing is made for cars anyways.
Sen Sok is a bit better for that as Chroy Changvar , 60m we'll see

Should we also forbid condominium?
Condominiums increase the density of the population and people still want their car.

As I said in a previous message, a good start would be to move all the ministers outskirt.
It's the easiest and cheapest way for the government to tackle traffic jam.
City can make other ways of transport more appealing than car. Or at least as appealing to use. If someone still wants to use car, that is fine. It's everyones right.

Around riverside and BKK1 there are streets that could change to be a pedestrian only streets.

If city would be made more walkable people in high density areas wouldn't need necessary car as everything needed could be within few minutes walk. Add good public transport and most of the city is reachable without a car.

Easiest, cheapest and most effective way to reduce traffic jams would be enforcing traffic laws imo. If people would drive more orderly most of the traffic jams would disappear.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Pedestrian areas would work well. If the only vehicles allowed were electric or human powered tuktuks, it could be quite a bit calmer. More people friendly than the V8 pickups with blaring horns, or the Chinese tourist coach with gawping, soon to be poorer Chinese gambling tourists, trying to push their way through the streets near 136/13.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

Both the dotted lines seem optimistic to me.

And the bottlenecks are still there on each major road in and out of PP

flyovers and skylines could help, but they need to be planned correctly, otherwise we will have the same uselessness of the monivong bridge,

Still can't understand why there's not a train line coming up from the new airport to the city
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

About twenty years ago, KL got its monorail after a few false starts. It’s a shame that many cities don’t see the benefits of a good public low cost mass transit system. KL had traffic jams when I was there, though. While cars are an attractive and viable option, they’ll remain.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Lonestar wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:25 pm In addition to a metro/skytrain, I would like to see elevated highways like in Bkk. I would also like to see some dedicated streets/paths for motos only. It would be great if you could build a moto only path along the riverside the complete length of Phnom Penh, and maybe build an East/West moto path as well. I would like to see trucks encouraged to travel at night, and all road work and sanitation done at night. Phnom Penh is not doing a terrible job with traffic, but they tend to do things half assed....like building flyovers with no ability to make a left turn, so you end up with traffic jammed up at two points by drivers making U-turns. Also, they are completing the hwy to Sihanoukville...which will be nearly obsolete the day it opens. That highway should be 4 lanes min. each way...not in total. People who do not want to build roads to ease traffic congestion are more interested in punishing people for driving then they are in easing traffic. California has tried this approach for decades, only to have some of the worst traffic in the country.
I think it speaks volumes that you're from Texas, so obviously you don't

While I agree that some projects are poorly designed from the beginning (the Neak Luon bridge being one of them... one lane each way. Wtf?!), the roots causes of the issue need to be addressed. A good starting point would be completely revamping the import tariffs to heavily prioritize compact cars vs pickups and large luxury cars (like Ford Raptors which are everywhere and Lexus Supersports). At the moment, pickups are disproportionally cheap, and in no way, shape or form are Phnom Penh inner city roads (keep in mind, they're NEVER be expanded) appropriate for anything other than small, Japanese-style compact cars. Most non-artery roads can barely get two cars side-by-side on them. For example, think of all the streets in BKK3 (besides 310 and 360), same for TTP and the riverside. Throw in larger cars, urban sprawl in suburbs with everyone commuting to the city center and you get the mayhem that is today's traffic.

As for California, it's a failure because the whole state was built on cars/highways in the first place. Do a bit of research and you'll see what I mean by more/larger roads not being the answer. Tons of case studies from both urban planners and sociologists show how it simply doesn't work. Growing up in a place like a Texan suburb also means no sidewalks, bicycle paths, and basically zero options for kids for getting around. It's the epitome of poor urban planning. A good example of this is Toul Kork/PP Thmey, Sen Sok and so forth. Look at the roads north of the Toul Kork antenna, or south of 271: completely devoid of trees (or rather, even more so than elsewhere), the roads of larger, yet the traffic is the same. Think of it this way:

Here is a great article showcasing he idea of turning 184 (as a starting point) into a pedestrianized street. This is the ONLY way forward if PP is ever to regain a bit of luster imo. The lack of green spaces is truly astonishing and one of a kind. I don't think I've ever been to a city so devoid of trees, parks and general greenery. It wasn't that big of na big issue 10-15 years ago, as the city was small and it was easy to get out of. However, things are different now, and it's an aspect of proper urban planning that's been completely overlooked by local authorities. Hopefully the younger generation, like the architect who wrote the article, can make their ideas gain traction as it's the only way out. Only those who have travelled or lived abroad understand what their city is lacking and how it's an international embarrassment in the making, not to mention contributing to an increasingly poor quality of life for all citizens. Here's his idea:
https://vodenglish.news/opinion-revital ... N5wMxvvxxI

A few examples of the possible changes:

I agree that roads are badly designed, but the idea is NOT more roads to allow for more cars, but to make it less interesting to drive in one by making sidewalks/pedestrianized streets/safe bicycle-only roads, adding trees for shade and so on. You'll only ever make the issue worse by building more/larger roads. Guaranteed by over six decades of data and experience by western and Asian cities.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

Street 5 between 110 and 118 , then again from 118 to 130 and from 130 to 136, would be good streets to make into pedestrian malls. As it is now it is impossible to walk on the foot path along this stretch as sidewalk business use all the footpaths.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic