One-way Airline tickets

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: One-way Airline tickets

Post by Kammekor »

truffledog wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:49 pm one way costs

One way tickets to Europe-Asia are VERY rarely a good deal compared to return fares. I have even seen cases where the one way cost more than the return fare. Basically any airlines has an interest to sell you return tickets for more turnover and filling the airplane to full load capacity on ALL legs of a flight. Booking a one way gives the traveller more options in chosing the return leg and options usually have a cost. On the airlines side a double booking (for 2 single legs) has a cost impact and exposes the company to an empty return leg risk. A return bokking allows for better planning of capacity to use company assets, results in a better cash in hand . Hence the airlines are willing to discount if you book both legs.

denied boarding on one way tickets

If any airline brings in a person without the necessary immigration requirements they are forced to bring the person back to departure country and may pay a hefty fine too (the airlines pay). For a few dollars you can easily avoid beeing hasssled at departure or at immigration at destination by buying an onwardticket you will probably never use.
There's hardly a price difference anymore, I've experienced. I bought two one way tickets to get to Europe in December and the small extra was worth the flexibility because I could save on my accommodation and car rental plus I have an extra suitcase on one leg (which I don't need on the other leg).

I used to buy so called open jaw tickets pre covid, for instance Bangkok-Paris-Phnom Penh and then add a one way ticket to Bangkok. That really paid off a few times but now it's not working anymore, these are generally more expensive than return tickets and sometimes more expensive than two one way tickets. It seems like airlines have given their pricing systems some thought during the corona time.
Last edited by Kammekor on Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Doc67 wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:18 am
Chad Sexington wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:28 pm
Doc67 wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:53 pm

He had an expired ER visa and although that should not really matter, because of VOA, it was something that concerned them.

He has been coming here for nearly 10 years and lives here for 10 months of the year, and his passport reflects that. None of this impressed Thai Airways

What was the visa status of your friend at the time of travel?
I can understand an airline being cautious regarding a tourist being denied entry by immigration control, but surely, if a persons passport contains a current 12 month visa/extension of stay (residency) in Cambodia, it should be proof enough that entry into the country will be a formality?
An expired 12 month ER visa with a slew of similar previous visas and entry stamps.

His last visa expired at the end of July. The amount of previous visas did not impress them but the lack of a current one did seem to trouble them. But this make no sense as you can get one on arrival long before you get to immigration. The fact that Cambodian Immigration never asks for onward flight from UK passport holders in clearly unknown to the check in staff.

I think Freightdog has nailed it; the staff are not dedicated airline staff (they fired them all) and they are using whoever the airport supply and these people just don't know the rules until an actual airline employed rep looks at the situation. And that is probably why it took me 2 hours to check in for my flight back here in July.
I'd say an expired visa raises questions. Generally expired visa can not be renewed in-country so the default check at check in would be looking for a new, valid visa. Add inexperienced staff to that and the doors to hell have opened.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Kammekor wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:09 am I'd say an expired visa raises questions. Generally expired visa can not be renewed in-country so the default check at check in would be looking for a new, valid visa. Add inexperienced staff to that and the doors to hell have opened.
Possibly. Which would be the first mistake.
The default first question should be- “is a visa required for travel?” Rather than “where is your visa?”

During COVID, Cambodia ended all VOA. Therefore, a valid visa was a requirement at checkin. But it was a temporary measure, long since ended. With VOA available, a valid visa or an expired visa should not be a factor. A cancelled visa might be a different issue.

As staff, they should know how to get the answer fairly quickly, even if they deal with several different airlines, and a variety of destinations. But if the same staff have previously been working checkin for a destination where there is no VOA, they may simply get fixated on that requirement.
As passengers, it’s essential to know what the travel requirements are. It states it at various points in the ticketing/booking process.

Singapore airlines at Heathrow were making a complete mess of it, recently. I don’t know for sure, but I think their checkin is provided by a 3rd party, and even their own supervisor was new at Heathrow. 1 supervisor, checkin for Singapore airlines, with Singapore as the hub, and passengers transiting through SIN to Phnom Penh, Oz(both sides), and umpteen other destinations through Asia.
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

Doc67 wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:18 am
Chad Sexington wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:28 pm
Doc67 wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:53 pm

He had an expired ER visa and although that should not really matter, because of VOA, it was something that concerned them.

He has been coming here for nearly 10 years and lives here for 10 months of the year, and his passport reflects that. None of this impressed Thai Airways

What was the visa status of your friend at the time of travel?
I can understand an airline being cautious regarding a tourist being denied entry by immigration control, but surely, if a persons passport contains a current 12 month visa/extension of stay (residency) in Cambodia, it should be proof enough that entry into the country will be a formality?
An expired 12 month ER visa with a slew of similar previous visas and entry stamps.

His last visa expired at the end of July. The amount of previous visas did not impress them but the lack of a current one did seem to trouble them. But this make no sense as you can get one on arrival long before you get to immigration. The fact that Cambodian Immigration never asks for onward flight from UK passport holders in clearly unknown to the check in staff.

I think Freightdog has nailed it; the staff are not dedicated airline staff (they fired them all) and they are using whoever the airport supply and these people just don't know the rules until an actual airline employed rep looks at the situation. And that is probably why it took me 2 hours to check in for my flight back here in July.
You’re most probably correct regarding airline staff, and their uncertainty is reflected in them being over cautious.
I reckon having a current visa is the game changer, insofar that without one, there’s always the possibility a visa could be declined on arrival (even though we know it’s pretty much guaranteed)
and the airlines (staff) don’t want to take that chance.
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

Even though Cambodian immigration doesn't check any onward tickets, it is requirement by Cambodian government to have onward ticket for arrivals for short visas and Visa on Arrivals. And only valid visas accounts. Expired ER visas are not counted for anything.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

rogerrabbit wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:22 pm Even though Cambodian immigration doesn't check any onward tickets, it is requirement by Cambodian government to have onward ticket for arrivals for short visas and Visa on Arrivals. And only valid visas accounts. Expired ER visas are not counted for anything.
It is not a requirement, show me the Immigration policy which states that onward travel out of Cambodia is an entry requirement. Not stated anywhere in Sub-Decree No.123 on Procedures to Allow Non-Immigrant Foreigners to Enter, Leave, and Reside in the Kingdom of Cambodia
dream syndicate
Tourist
Italy

Post by dream syndicate »

In 2015 at Brisbane airport Malaysian airline asked me return ticket but fortunately I had purchased a cheap one way ticket out PP to BKK with Airasia that I never used. so when I showed at the check in point no problem.Currently I do not have any Cambodia visa in my passport but i'm planning doing the same when I go back to Cambodia in January next year buying one way ticket and using any platform bestonwardticket or maybe buying again a real ticket from Airasia PP to BKK.
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:05 pm
rogerrabbit wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:22 pm Even though Cambodian immigration doesn't check any onward tickets, it is requirement by Cambodian government to have onward ticket for arrivals for short visas and Visa on Arrivals. And only valid visas accounts. Expired ER visas are not counted for anything.
It is not a requirement, show me the Immigration policy which states that onward travel out of Cambodia is an entry requirement. Not stated anywhere in Sub-Decree No.123 on Procedures to Allow Non-Immigrant Foreigners to Enter, Leave, and Reside in the Kingdom of Cambodia

Yep, you are correct. Confused with Thai requirements.
mi1
Expatriate
Belarus

Post by mi1 »

For me bus ticket to neighbor country also counted as "return ticket". I had one way ticket London-PP by Qatar and made myself bus ticket PP-Ho Chi Min. I did it "just in case" but airline actually asked for it. I feel if i do not have bus ticket they might refuse me to onboard.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Thailand does not accept bus/train tickets for out of country
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic