How Bad is This? Fired from the RCAF.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

How Bad is This? Fired from the RCAF.

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

From the PM's social media page:
Samdech Techo HE says: The bad character of San Bunthoeun can not be changed. He is fired.
Phnom Penh: To help San Bunthoeun and his wife, my family have donated money to them to buy a house and we have also given Bunthoeun $ 500 per month since 2018.
I used to attempt to educate San Bunthoeun not to eat, drink, swear, but his character does not improve.
I have, therefore, ordered the bodyguard commander to expulse San Bunthoeun from the Cambodian army. (RCAF)

This decision by the PM follows a video that was posted on social media, where Mr San drinks alcohol, shouts obscenities angrily at the camera, and drunkly throws food and other items around in an apparent fit of rage.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: How Bad is This? Fired from the RCAF.

Post by xandreu »

Well if I posted a video of myself drinking and shouting obscenities at the camera and my boss was informed about it, I'd expect to be fired too, Especially if I was widely known to be associated with my company.

Wouldn't that be the norm for most people these days?
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

xandreu wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:39 pm Well if I posted a video of myself drinking and shouting obscenities at the camera and my boss was informed about it, I'd expect to be fired too, Especially if I was widely known to be associated with my company.

No, I wouldn't think that it would be the norm unless it affected one's job

Employees can do whatever they want to do off the clock. Obviously there are exceptions

In the case of a military man I can see where his off clock behavior could affect his subordinates and be something that warranted dismissal
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I've never seen so many boar tusks on one person. He was in the Prime Minister's Bodyguard Unit, so it's understandable if his boss fired him.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:57 pm
xandreu wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:39 pm Well if I posted a video of myself drinking and shouting obscenities at the camera and my boss was informed about it, I'd expect to be fired too, Especially if I was widely known to be associated with my company.

No, I wouldn't think that it would be the norm unless it affected one's job

Employees can do whatever they want to do off the clock. Obviously there are exceptions

In the case of a military man I can see where his off clock behavior could affect his subordinates and be something that warranted dismissal
It was the exceptions I was talking about. Obviously a video like this from an average Amazon coffee barista employee is not only unlikely to have any impact on Amazon as a company, but would be viewed as expected behaviour. However, as you move up the ladder of corporate responsibility, it becomes more and more of an issue. Of course, all employees can do whatever they want to do off the clock, it's the posting of it online for all to see, especially if you're well known to be associated with a company, or especially a government, in whatever capacity, including a bodyguard to the PM, that it becomes an issue.

It would have been more newsworthy were nothing to have been done about it.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Is this a necklace of his enemy's bones ?
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

John Bingham wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:01 pm I've never seen so many boar tusks on one person. He was in the Prime Minister's Bodyguard Unit, so it's understandable if his boss fired him.
There’s a tiger claw on that chain also.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

No matter how many bones you have hanging around your neck they won't protect you from bad karma.
Love him or hate him some times our prime minister
can see and make decisions that no-one else is capable of doing.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Or is HE distancing himself from the inevitable drunken post party shooting spree?
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Three months and he will have been promoted to another position.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic