Paying Khmer Public School bribes. Worth it?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Re: Paying Khmer Public School bribes. Worth it?

Post by Ghostwriter »

ego bibere nimis wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:59 pm
Who said anything about a money tree????? Tax on goods and services in Cambodia represent 60% of total tax revenue only.

In addition, despite how many years I have lived here, I am a guest in this country- I don't hold a Cambodian passport, so I tend not to complain about how the government run (or don't run) things. Their circus, their monkeys. If I did hold a Cambodian passport then yeah, I would definitely be whinging about how they spend their taxation revenues.
You're a guest, true, but still a guest that pays an extra bit on everything, therefore contributing a bit to the country's balance at the end of the day / year.
A guest who paid his ticket to come to the circus, watching monkeys, from the audience. You're in the circus too, and while you enjoy the show, someone is watching you too from another part of the circus, maybe the circus's boss, maybe the technical team, maybe the monkeys, the clowns, maybe the audience, and probably all of them, once in while.

If you have an urgent need and go to the circus loo, i think you are allowed to complain if there is shit all over the place. Someone else with a less tenable position may await such a claim because they are not in position to say so, but do not enjoy either. Dictatorships are a bit like that, they go hard on their wronged citizens, in particular when the issue is due to weak achievement from the top of the pyramid.

I would feel silenced not to complain about basic issues coming through my way, especially if the main victim of it is my family. The country needs complaining, even if silenced afterwards. When you refrain to complain in advance, i guess the battle is fought and lost already before even taking place, which is a shame, isn't it ?

What a weird world if only payers and doers can complain. It would be like a buying a right to talk in a specific way. Nah. You can complain as much as anybody. But if so, you also have to contribute to make it progress, by means or acceptable ideas. That would balance it out, and you're a foreigner ! Great source of external input & means, if willing.

Please complain and go your own way, just bring a thing or two to reduce the causes of complains.

Me ? French. Complaining is a national sport, whatever the outcome. Incompetency happens, but shouldn't be allowed to sit, stay and cost, whatever the level / range. Enough waste of money, time and skills around already. We can see that in our respective origin countries too, i believe ^^. The idiots-makers are winning, too often. The top-level idiots-makers. Should the masses follow quietly ?

I think the teacher of the original post is a lazy fuck, and should be fired asap, then replaced, by a more motivated one, but the little extra money contribution should be kept rolling for motivation, since such an essential profession is underpaid anyway, as a bonus afterwise.
Just my thoughts.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

@ego bibere nimis, by my rough calculation, at least half of the respondents in this thread have a vested interest in what goes on within education within Cambodia.

Either professionally, personally, or both in at least 2 cases, with actual Khmer family and dependents. So it’s quite incorrect to discount or suggest that such viewpoints are somehow irrelevant or invalid, or that they have no right to comment in the first place.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

If I did hold a Cambodian passport then yeah, I would definitely be whinging about how they spend their taxation revenues.
I am pretty sure that if you were paying to educate one or more children in this country, you'd feel you had a say in their education.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

rozzieoz wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:45 am
If I did hold a Cambodian passport then yeah, I would definitely be whinging about how they spend their taxation revenues.
I am pretty sure that if you were paying to educate one or more children in this country, you'd feel you had a say in their education.
I have found that most of the important things that a child is to learn are things that are taught at home by the parents.
Money, how to earn it, spend it and save it.
Food , what is junk food, what is healthy food and how to cook it.
Cleanliness, in the home and life from brushing your teeth to washing your clothes.

I dont expect my kids to learn much from the few hours at school in the morning and afternoon compared to the many hours at home where the education is free , as long as you are prepared to put in the time and effort to educate them.

So much to learn and so little time we have in our lifetime.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Tootsfriend wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:38 pm
I have found that most of the important things that a child is to learn are things that are taught at home by the parents.
Probably why many can't read and write.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Cleanliness, in the home and life from brushing your teeth to washing your clothes.

I dont expect my kids to learn much from the few hours at school in the morning and afternoon compared to the many hours at home where the education is free , as long as you are prepared to put in the time and effort to educate them.

ur dreaming if u think kids learn all the important things to lead a productive, eventful life they learn at home from their parents
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

phuketrichard wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:07 pm

ur dreaming if u think kids learn all the important things to lead a productive, eventful life they learn at home from their parents
Depends on the parents, some kids are fortuitous in that regard

Doesn't matter whether rich or poor in that context also
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:24 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:07 pm

Depends on the parents, some kids are fortuitous in that regard

Doesn't matter whether rich or poor in that context also
A quality education is the best investment you can make for ur kid
no ifs, ands or buts

may not get them all they want but will give them a step up
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Phnom Krom
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Phnom Krom »

So, a sobering update yet again.

My daughter says if she does not pay her teacher $5 a month, then she will fail the term test and the whole year of school.

Shes says everyone hates her because she does not pay the teacher. But, she DOES pay 5000 khr everyday. I guess the extra 5 USD a month is a big deal and $1.25 a day x 22 days a month is not enough to not ostracize her and fail her.

She is a good student.

Anyway, wifey went to school for my oldest son to complain for the 4th time about teachers never showimg up to class. He only has one month of the report card this year...now month 9. You can guess the response. F off!

Shpuld I post to HE Facebook? HE of Education? UYFC?
I fear for my life and my family's life no?
Who will? When? Lost cause? Take them out of school?

And no snipes about payijng up please. Focus on best strategies to fix for the future of this Developed Nation with best education to lure the top manufacturers and tech companies to this frontwater country.

sigh....
ego bibere nimis
Expatriate
Australia

Post by ego bibere nimis »

I do pay for a child to go to school in this country and it isn't cheap (I am not talking about taxes that the government are unlikely get from my day to day spending in and around town). Yes, if I wanted to complain to the school I would. If the outcome was unsatisfactory and the issue big enough, hello new school.

It is a case of 'it is what it is' - work arounds required unfortunately. But teachers demanding direct payment from students is a whole new level of disgust.
You know that tingly little feeling you get when you really like someone? That's common sense leaving your body.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic